Options

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    What did you do wrong ?

You ate 10,500 more calories then you burned.
    Watching what you eat is not the same as accurately weighing and logging every bite of food that you eat.
    Exercising is great for your fitness but doesn't make you lose fat if you do not eat at a calorie deficit.

She said she counted calories and came in under goal every day.

Yes she said that and I read it. But that doesn't mean her goal is set to a true deficit, or that she is using accurate food data or if she is even accurately weighing her food. Nor does she tell us if she has lost any fat using her settings or methods. She also doesn't mention if her exercise routine is new or ongoing. She is "watching what she eats" which I take to mean monitoring things like sodium intake. Nor do we know her weight In schedule. All we really have to go by is she gained 3 pounds which all else being equal reguires a 10,500 calorie surplus. The devil is always in the details.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    X

What proof do you have that it's 3 pounds of fat versus water weight?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    X

Nobody has "proof" of anything.

That's why the diary needs to be looked at.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Also, is the exercise new?
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You probably didn't gain. Track it over the month, drink lots of water and you will see the pattern.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    X

Oh, I completely agree! I just think it's a little bit aggressive to automatically assume it's fat and tell the OP that she must have eaten 10,000 extra calories.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What did you do wrong ?

You ate 10,500 more calories then you burned.
    Watching what you eat is not the same as accurately weighing and logging every bite of food that you eat.
    Exercising is great for your fitness but doesn't make you lose fat if you do not eat at a calorie deficit.

She said she counted calories and came in under goal every day.

Obviously that is untrue.

Nothing is obvious. Without a lot more information there is no way to ascertain if the gain was water weight, fat, bodily waste, or a combination thereof.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    X

Oh, I completely agree! I just think it's a little bit aggressive to automatically assume it's fat and tell the OP that she must have eaten 10,000 extra calories.

10,500 LOL

It's not aggressive nor is it a personal attack or judgemental. It's just a simple fact.
    To gain 3 pounds of fat you need to eat 10,500 calories over your maintance.
    I seriously doubt she is asking about 3 pounds of clothing because she weighted in dressed this time. one has to assume by now
    most folks have learned to reconize when they are bloated and retaining water but that is also a good guess. Sure there are many variables but since we are here to lose fat
    I will address how she gained 3 pounds of fat since we have little else to go by. Feel free to add your own insight on the myriad of possible causes of scale flluctioation.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    If I have a whole week of high sodium I can gain up to 5lbs, easily.

No, it wasn't a personal attack or meant to be judgemental but it can cause increased frustration and make someone on the edge want to give up instead of motivating them to keep going.

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    X

To gain 3 pounds of fat you need to eat 10,500 calories over your maintance.

Absolutely, 100% true. However, we do not know (and in fact it is HIGHLY unlikely) that she gained three pounds of fat in a single week. It is much more likely that at least a good chunk of it is water weight or retention due to sodium levels, new exercise program, hormones, etc.

Is it possible that she's not logging totally accurately? Of course. Is it LIKELY that she's underestimating her intake by over 1000 calories a day (which is what it would take to gain three pounds in a week)? No, that's not likely at all.

I think it's just plain silly to assume this is fat gain, or at least ALL fat gain.
  • pennypuffkin
    pennypuffkin Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates every other day depending on my water intake. Sometimes I'm bloated, and sometimes I'm not. Actual weight loss takes time. Don't stress. :) Open your diary and others will try to help find the issue(s). :)
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    OP, an open diary and a bit more information would help the community give you some guidance. In the meantime, don't let the scale ruin your day:

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/help-why-does-my-workout-cause-weight-gain

http://www.livestrong.com/article/351391-water-retention-in-muscles-after-exercise/
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates every other day depending on my water intake. Sometimes I'm bloated, and sometimes I'm not. Actual weight loss takes time. Don't stress. :) Open your diary and others will try to help find the issue(s). :)
    YES, VERY good point. Weight can fluctuate up to a few pounds, daily. It can be from water, poo, and/or period. There was a time (TMI) where I was very constipated (don't ask why lol) and had gained 3-4 pounds. I took laxatives and after they were done doing their "job", I was back to my original weight. Also, muscle weighs more than fat. If you have built any muscle then that may be the answer to your question. Focus less on the scale and more on the inches/measurements.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Am with camos approach on this. OP it would help if you opened your diary so people can have a look at whats going on. People have already suggested:

Its water weight and explained the reasons. Flyctyation, water retention etc.

On a different tack I would suggest you need to forget about the exercise for the moment or at least set aside some time to get the basics right, its an area where many new dieters fail, even though they think they are doing it correctly. Learning about how weight loss works and accurate logging could save you a lot of frustration in the future. People tend to eat more than they think.

The second point is that you need to work on your mindset, its a geat thing you are doing for yourself, but you will need to learn to look after yourself, so getting angry at a setback is pointless and undermining, similar to getting fristrated. If you are doing things right then the next thing you will need is some perspective and patience. It will serve you well on your journey and you need to expect it to take some time.

Finally be cautious at what level you think exercise will help. It helps with health and it will help with weight loss, but you have to do enough of it. Dont get discouraged as ots reasonably straightforward, do get smart and be patient. Good luck.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    10,500 over for a week is pretty easy to do. But it's all idle speculation until OP comes back and opens the diary....
  • catchtheislands
    catchtheislands Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hola. If you eat simple carbs they are stored in water. 1 gram of carbs is stored in 3 times as much water. Try to limit simple carbs to immediately after a tough workout only. This is why when you fast you lose a lot of water, the energy is spent and the water it is stored in is let go. Once you realize this they become not worth it--at all. Also and unfortunately you may not notice this until you try to lose weight but females gain up to 8 lbs of water weight TWICE a month. Ovulation and period. Get some Xpel pills on Amazon and slam tons of water. Remember water doesn't move without salt and fat doesn't move without water. Pink Himylayan sea salt is a nice touch to a gallon of water a day. Lots of minerals in there. You could also be estrogen dominate have estrogen stored in your fat cells and need to begin taking some DIM (the lazy form of cruciferous vegetables) to flush those toxins out of your system. If you are pre diabetic your hormone levels will be so high you will gain fat no matter what you do. Try some berberine and see if that works. Also cortisol is highest in the morning when we drink coffee and raise them 30% which last 6 hours. You can't lose fat with high cortisol levels. Try slamming water in the am, then moving coffee to later in the day say 2pm when your levels have fallen. Getting your omega 3's over your Omega 6's can really help. Pure fish oil that is date stamped with a mega antioxidant like alpha lipoic, atralagus or axanthium could also do wonders. You just want to see what is working best for your body because everyone is different. Now makes a nice liver detoxifier, easy to take and has a lot of pricey ingredients in it. Detoxing your liver is a good way to start flushing estrogens and toxins. Your liver holds onto things so you don't get poisoned and if there are toxins in your fat cells, if will refuse you to lose them.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    April fools right ?

That's like a who's who of diet marketing spin.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP, it's quite possible that you have done nothing at all wrong, but also possible that you did. If you aren't losing weight, then there are three possibilities. It's calories in/calories out, so either one or both parts of that equation is wrong, or else it's water.

1. Calories in: Make sure that you are entering absolutely everything that you consume. That includes any liquids that have calories (herbal tea, alcoholic beverages, soda, iced tea, etc.) That includes late-night snacks, candy that you get for free at work, and tastes of things while you're cooking. Make sure that you're weighing your food on a digital scale, not just eyeballing or using measuring cups. You'd be shocked at how different 28 grams of salad dressing looks from 2 tablespoons. Solids that have small pieces of varying sizes, like cereal, are even worse. Weigh it.

2. Calories out: Make sure that you have input your stats correctly and chosen the correct activity level to get your correct goal. Understand why that is your goal. If you add in exercise, know that MFP's calorie estimates are high. Use a heart rate monitor, if you can, and don't eat back all of the calories.

3. Water: If you've checked the other two possibilities and everything appears to be in order, this is the most likely culprit. You've probably lost the bodyweight, but your body is retaining water, which masks the weight you lost. Water weight can be pretty significant, up to 10 pounds or more. This can happen for several reasons, including hormonal fluctuations, increased sodium or carbs in a meal, or muscle repair after a workout.

It's a good idea to track for at least 4 weeks before you make any adjustments, unless you know for sure that you actually did something wrong in your calculations. It's also a good idea to not rely solely on the scale. Take your measurements with a tape measure about every 2 weeks or so, and take photos from the front, side and back, arms up and down, wearing something tight or skimpy (swimsuit, underwear, shorts and tank, whatever you're comfy with that will show your form). Do this every 4 weeks. Since the scale lies to us when we retain water, try to rely more on the tape and photos (especially the photos.) Putting a photo up on your computer side by side with a previous one will tell you way more than the scale.

Good luck!
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    Bravo !
  • cubschick005
    cubschick005 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Remember that as you're working out you're likely gaining muscle and losing fat. While you may weigh more on the scale, you'll actually be leaner and more toned because you've lost fat and gained muscle. A pound of fat vs. a pound of muscle is a huge difference. Don't get discouraged!

http://bamboocorefitness.com/one-pound-of-fat-versus-one-pound-of-muscle-clearing-up-the-misconception/