How often do you log weight?

Options
Just wondering how often people log their weight into MFP as they go.

I admit I'm a little scale obsessed, but before I'm jumped on not to a negative effect. Thanks to MFP community I've learned a lot about healthy weight loss and fluctuations. I am on the scale mainly because I am watching and learning what causes the fluctuations in myself. To cheer me up if I feel off, or remind me why I need to stay on track when I'm tempted. Anyhow point is I am on the scale a couple times/day but it doesn't change the fact that I am steadily losing.

Since I'm on the scale so often I only log twice/month. 1st and 14th. Figure that's fair to my friends on here and shows a nice jump downward each time for myself. What is driving me bonkers is that my weight always seems to go even lower the day after I log. :/

This month for example, I set very simple goals, 3lbs/month. So my goal for April 1st was 133lbs. From March 25 until March 30 that is what my scale read in the morning. I was happy to be at my goal and it motivated me to stay on track the entire week so that maybe I could log in even lighter than my goal. March 31 I saw it went to 133.5, okay no biggie, than yesterday for April 1st I weigh at 134lbs. I am trying to be honest with myself so that is what I logged. I know it was most likely something that I ate that day causing water retention more than anything...but still being honest.

Than this morning, step on the scale 132lbs. So how do you log? Would others put this loss in today as well or just wait until the 14th and keep going?

Replies

• gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I weight every day. I like to look at the report and see the ups and downs daily. It helps me keep on track
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, put it in a spreadsheet, and log it on MFP every 5-10 pounds or (more accurately) when I feel like it/remember. I don't take logging on MFP very seriously, I basically only do it to keep my information vaguely up to date in case someone checks my profile. If I wasn't on the forums so much I wouldn't bother. Last time I logged was a month ago, the time before that was 3 weeks, the time before that was 5 days. Depends how much weight I've lost and if I can be bothered, really.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log it into another app on my phone (happy scale) so I can see the daily ups and downs, and then I record it here on Fridays.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I log in the weight when I weigh myself. That's that. I tend to weigh myself sporadically though.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I weigh and log every day too. I find it helps me stay on track better, but that's just me :)
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Also, I find my weight doesn't seem to fluctuate as much as a lot of people's on here; I usually only gain or lose by 0.something of a pound day-to-day. Not sure if I would bother if I was fluctuating by a pound or more.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I log it about once a month. I do weigh myself occasionally otherwise now - that's new for me. With my new exercise regimen and also now doing some lifting, I am curious how much water I hold onto and for how long.

I'm mostly happy seeing a difference. It's nice when the scale shows it too, but this time I'm determined to not let it discourage me if it's not immediate results in pounds lost. I've lost a lot of inches. Lots.
  • Thelinna
    Thelinna Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I weigh every week, unless I hit a slow point, and then I'll wait a few weeks.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh once a week. Now it's more like once every two weeks. I seem to retain water a lot and I can feel it. I hate weighing when I know I'm going to be up 3 pounds of water. :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    In the beginning every two hours... LOL

Now I weigh when I feel like it and it happens to be a Sunday... I used to watch the scale like a hawk and it continually was frustrating.. Logging it in MFP was every time I weighed and measured.

Do not just use scale weight, use measurements and pictures too.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    I weigh daily and log it into another app on my phone (happy scale) so I can see the daily ups and downs, and then I record it here on Fridays.

Same here, except I record my Wednesday weight to MFP
  • Vixenmd1
    Vixenmd1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am a daily weigher ( when I don't things get off track quickly i like the data) and just got a worthing wireless scale m30 (the older and cheaper one) it talks to MFP so now daily. I was only adding weights ( in past with WW) once a week even with daily weighing. I find the trends useful.
  • wreckzrainer131
    wreckzrainer131 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Since I'm drinking soooo much water, I find myself weighing at night and then again the following morning. It's interesting how much water is retained and I find myself guessing what I'll be in the morning. Anything to keep it interesting I guess.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    My scales talk to an app on my phone, which in turn is connected to MFP app. So pretty much every time I step on the scales it updates on MFP. Super lazy, but at the same time I can't lie about my weight anymore, which means I REALLY don't like putting on weight.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Recently I have been logging my weight about once a week. I only log again if there is a big jump in my weight.

If my scale had a jump of 2 pounds the next day and everything I did was the same I would grab one of the weights in the house and weigh the weight several times to see if the amount on the scale changes. This way I could find out if it is time to get a new scale.

• bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I weight twice a week and log my weight if there is a change...Luckily, my weight continues to decrease.. :)
  • MimGSR
    MimGSR Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I weigh 1-3 times a day. I'm not obsessive and know all about fluctuations, i just love statistics! I've got an app on my phone that allows you to put in morning, noon and evening weight and then gives averages and trends. I log on MFP every few days.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Aria scale. It syncs to MFP automatically. I weigh every morning. I weigh if I want to or not. I cannot be trusted not to lie to myself otherwise.

I don't let the fluctuations bother me. I trust the CICO process though. If my weight starts climbing past reasonable water weight type gains, I want to know so I can reevaluate what I'm doing and get back on track.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 2-3 times a week. I log my weight any time I hit a new low weight.

4/1: 149
    4/3: 150
    4/5: 148.5 Boom logging it.
  • yiscaht
    yiscaht Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily (knowing it'll fluctuate and I'll be annoyed lol) and log it when it changes - up or down. I like to keep track of it to remind myself. Not that it's been going down ... *sigh*