Bread vs Toast

Options
How do you guys weigh your bread when you make it as toast? Before or after it goes through the toaster? I weighed pre and post toasting and had pre: 37g post: 33g That is for a bread that has a 43g serving size so that's almost 10% weight reduction from moisture.

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Moisture causes the weight reduction, like you said. Moisture does not have a significant number of calories, as it is primarily water. Weigh the bread before you toast it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    3797363014_87d7c39928.jpg

Sorry couldn't help but post this since it was the first thing that came to mind.

Anyway- weigh before toasting.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    most people weigh food before cooking...and it's nice if you can do that. For toast I log the bread and don't worry about the cooking method...
  • gouldyftw
    gouldyftw Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Although as the outside of the bread burns/browns, energy is released... So in theory the toast will contain slightly fewer calories than the piece of bread. Unfortunately, you'd probably need a science lab to work out the exact number...

Assuming you are trying to lose weight, I would go with the bread measurement (i.e. the higher number) and then if there are any inaccuracies, you are eating fewer calories than you're logging (rather than underestimating!)
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Just enter it as BREAD. The moisture that evaporates probably doesn't have any calories. And if it does have a few, you're probably going to burn those off just walking to the toaster to retrieve the bread :) I generally always weigh my food before cooking.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I usually log things pre cooked as well. I do however weigh my chicken cooked (but the packaging gives both raw and cooked weights). The only reason is because I typically don't thaw it out much before cooking so the weight is way off. Most packages should specify how you are supposed to weigh.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    How do you guys weigh your bread when you make it as toast? Before or after it goes through the toaster? I weighed pre and post toasting and had pre: 37g post: 33g That is for a bread that has a 43g serving size so that's almost 10% weight reduction from moisture.

I don't weigh bread. There may be a 10% discrepancy, but it's still only 4g we're talking about. Your scale may not be that accurate and even if it is, the calorie estimate from the baker isn't going to be that accurate due to things like differing moisture content. Instead, I reason that the "1 slice" serving size is an average and if you eat enough over time, it all evens out.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    gouldyftw wrote: »
    Although as the outside of the bread burns/browns, energy is released... So in theory the toast will contain slightly fewer calories than the piece of bread. Unfortunately, you'd probably need a science lab to work out the exact number...

The number of calories possibly lost is not even close enough to worry about. That being said if the bread is already sliced why weigh it at all?
  • elphie754
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

The number of calories possibly lost is not even close enough to worry about. That being said if the bread is already sliced why weigh it at all?

Because sliced bread may not always be the same gram amount.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    So do a few crunches while the bread is toasting but don't add them in as exercise.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    How much toast are you eating in a day for the difference in calories to be anything but negligible?
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    How much toast are you eating in a day for the difference in calories to be anything but negligible?

rvthvg6q8tx0.gif

• ncboiler89
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Not sure if serious
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    now i want an oreo.

i dont have any :(
  • elphie754
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Not sure if serious

Very serious just because it is machine manufactures does not mean all slices are exactly the gram amount listed as a serving. Don't belive me? Go get two pieces of bread and weigh them. Chances are they are not the serving size listed.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    The nutrition info on the package is based on how its packaged: so bread, not toast.

I figure the crumbs that fall off in the process of eating it are just bonus calories saved. 1 here, 1 there lol.

• ncboiler89
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »

To be fair the minute anyone on here suspects that you don't weigh down to the nano-gram you will be shunned. I've been accused on multiple occasions of weighing my cottage cheese incorrectly simply because the diary entry appears in cups instead of grams. Nevermind that I weigh my cottage cheese in grams and use math to convert to a value to put in based off the serving size in grams off the container. Nope. Not good enough. The entry is displayed in cups as a fraction therefore I'm lying about how much cottage cheese I'm eating.

This is funny because I changed from measuring cottage cheese using a measuring cup to using my scale so I wouldn't have to wash the measuring cup. I also figured it to be more accurate because I can put varying amounts into a cup (smash the hell out of it). But I agree with what you said. LOL@ people worrying about a gram. I am a stickler for accurate data but holy cow people...