Protein and supplements

Options
hi really wanting to up my game as I am building muscle but not shifting any fat. I train strength with a little bit of cardio 3 times a week at a bootcamp and have built quite a lot of muscle. I am also starting to run twice a week to increase cardio. Is there any protein/ pre/ post workout supplements shakes that people recommend to aid losing fat? Or any tips in general?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nothing "aids losing fat". A calorie deficit makes you lose fat. Protein supplement is a help if you aren't getting enough protein from food. Most people get enough protein from food, and meat, fish and eggs has a lot of protein.
  • 05millarcha
    Options
    So maybe I'm just not eating enough of the right foods?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe. Open your diary, if we can see what you already eat, we can make suggestions.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    So maybe I'm just not eating enough of the right foods?

There are no "right foods". What is your goal? If you are in a caloric surplus, you will build muscle, but also fat, there is no way around this. If you are in a deficit, you will lose fat, but you won't build muscle (except for noobie gains). You can attempt to retain as much muscle as possible with adequate protein intake and resistance training.
  • 05millarcha
    Options
    I am in deficit but don't seem to be losing anything. I work out nearly everyday so really need some advice!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I am in deficit but don't seem to be losing anything. I work out nearly everyday so really need some advice!

How long have you been working out?
  • 05millarcha
    Options
    You should be able to see my diary now
  • 05millarcha
    Options
    I have done a bootcamp 3 times a week since January. I work really hard at it and I feel better for it but don't think it's helping to lose weight
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Nope still can't
  • Hornsby
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Your diary isn't open. Bootcamp helps create a deficit in calories. Nothing more in terms of weight loss. I would have suggested water retention but it has been a while that you have been doing bootcamp.
  • AwesomeSauceTN
    AwesomeSauceTN Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I really like Muscle Pharm Combat protein shake mix. It won't make you gain weight because its whey protein and its relatively low in calories. When we workout we need more protein. My advice to you is make sure you are logging your calories diligently and maybe invest in a heart rate monitor so you can accurately gauge how many calories you are torching. As a supplement, I also like to take CLA because it really helps body composition. I hope this is helpful
  • 05millarcha
    Options
    I really like Muscle Pharm Combat protein shake mix. It won't make you gain weight because its whey protein and its relatively low in calories. When we workout we need more protein. My advice to you is make sure you are logging your calories diligently and maybe invest in a heart rate monitor so you can accurately gauge how many calories you are torching. As a supplement, I also like to take CLA because it really helps body composition. I hope this is helpful

• 05millarcha
    Options

This is helpful thank you so whey protein is best?
  • 05millarcha
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Your diary isn't open. Bootcamp helps create a deficit in calories. Nothing more in terms of weight loss. I would have suggested water retention but it has been a while that you have been doing bootcamp.

Sorry have made public now
  • 05millarcha
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Nope still can't

It is public now :)
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Theres a big debate about which types of protein powders work best/ are they needed at all/ natural v's supplements, the list goes on. I looked around and opted for the one I use (check my food diary its in there). However, in selecting what was an appropriate protine I found this guys site really helpful: http://www.muscleforlife.com/best-protein-powders/ Hope thats useful to you.
  • 05millarcha
    Options
    gothomson wrote: »
    Theres a big debate about which types of protein powders work best/ are they needed at all/ natural v's supplements, the list goes on. I looked around and opted for the one I use (check my food diary its in there). However, in selecting what was an appropriate protine I found this guys site really helpful: http://www.muscleforlife.com/best-protein-powders/ Hope thats useful to you.

Thanks for your help!
  • Hornsby
    edited April 2015
    Options

This is helpful thank you so whey protein is best?

Whey protein is fine and probably the most common. It should be noted that you should aim to get your protein from real food if possible. Whey should only be used as a protein supplement and does have calories and CAN make you gain weight. Someone mentioned that MusclePharm won't make you gain weight (which is true for every food/shake on the planet), but MusclePharm can assist in weight gain if you are going over your calories (which is true for every food/shake on the planet).

MusclePharm in Milk would be well over 200 calories and would be the same in relation to weight gain as say an Oatmeal Cream Pie.
  • 05millarcha
    Options
    Okay thanks that's very helpful!
  • rjk1503
    rjk1503 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are monitoring your protein. In order to build muscle, or at least lose fat and NOT muscle, you should consume 70% of your weight in grams of protein per day. so, if you weight 150lbs, you should be getting at least 105 grams of protein a day. for most people, that's very difficult to do on meat and eggs alone, and still stay within your calorie range. Also, watch your sugars. Sugar turns to fat and it's harder to burn through the sugars you are consuming to get to the fat. No more than 20-25% of your carbs should be from sugars.