Bariatric Surgery

Options
First I want to say that I understand what is involved in weight loss and healthy living. I am looking at the opportunity for surgery as a tool only to assist in a major lifestyle change.

I was opting for the Gastric Sleeve but just found out my insurance only covers the band. I went to a seminar regarding bariatric surgery and the band was the one I did not want due to after care and opportunities for issues (slippage, less loss than sleeve, etc.).

Has anyone on this forum opted for surgery, specifically the band? If so, can you share with me your experience?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bypass here. Not a fan of the lap band; our surgical team has stopped doing them (scarring, slippage).
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve & highly recommend it. I was originally looking at the band, but my surgeon also stopped doing them due to the # of complications he was seeing. Is there any way to ask your insurance company for a review on the procedure. It doesn't make sense for them to be so stuck on the band. There is much more follow up care required compared to the sleeve. The sleeve seems more cost effective. It's been awhile since I looked at it, but I think the weight loss is generally greater with the sleeve or bypass as well. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :) .
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Bypass here. Not a fan of the lap band; our surgical team has stopped doing them (scarring, slippage).

Yep, same reason my sister-in-law couldn't have it done
  • brookesdsu
    brookesdsu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had the band done more than 5 years ago. If I had it to do over, I would not have done it. I am losing more weight using MFP than I ever did with the band.
  • LivingDeadDad
    LivingDeadDad Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback my friends! Good news, I found later in the day that all three major surgeries are covered, so the SLEEVE is covered, as long as my doctor refers me for that as opposed to the band. Which, he will :) Awesome. good luck to you all in your healthy journey!