Eggs vs. Egg Whites

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't think there is really a right or wrong answer, I do it both ways depending on my macros that day, if I have too much fat then I cut the yolk out, if I don't then I don't.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    The yolk is the most nutritious part of the egg, why not throw it away.
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The only time just white is justified is when you're making a huge pavolva :)
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Just eat the yolk. Its yummy.

thatsracist.gif
  • mrsswisspea
    mrsswisspea Posts: 51 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My husband was horrified when came to North America for the first time and he saw egg whites in a carton. The concept of it does creep me out a lot and it's very wasteful.

An egg is like 75 calories of goodness. I eat whole eggs, but that's just me.

If I'm baking with one or the other, I make a recipe that will use the other half of the egg, or use it to bread things in panko crumbs.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the texture of hard-boiled yolks. Devil them, I'm all about it, but just eat them? Kinda grossed out. So, I tend to do two whites and one forced-down yolk in those cases.

I sometimes subscribe to the one whole egg plus whites for scrambles, but that's because I need to save those calories for extra bacon. Truth.
  • Saltfree1
    Saltfree1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The question seems to be about the protein content - but for me it is all about taste. I can tolerate whole eggs but the taste is just not as good as the egg white. I make up for the slight loss in protein by eating a little more egg white - overall I get good results that I like whether making western omelettes or just serving eggs with sausages. Because I travel I keep my taste buds in tune with the occasional whole egg since many kitchens just do not offer egg white options (looking at me askance like something's wrong with me). This just does not seem to be such a raging issue!
  • RageQuitP90x
    RageQuitP90x Posts: 11
    edited April 2015
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    I eat at least one whole egg and 9 egg whites every day. I can't eat 10 whole eggs because that would be half of my daily fat allowance before breakfast is even over.

Agreed.

I eat 6 egg WHITES with breakfast every day of the week. If I included the yolks it would really throw off my daily Fat percentages. That many yolk would also add a whole lot of unnecessary Cholesterol. Plus I am not a huge fan of the taste of yolks, I've always preferred egg whites.

If you are eating an egg or two a day I am sure it is fine. Just depends how one has designed their diet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in just eating the white, a bit overkill if you ask me.
    I'm still in awe they sell egg whites only in America!! What are they packaged in??, Fake eggs or something....

A carton. Real eggs, I assume they use the yolk for something really tasty and with lots of calories. ;-)

I almost always just use whole eggs these days, but I used to supplement my omelets with some extra egg whites.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I love runny egg yolks, but HATE HATE HATE boiled yolks. So if Im eating hard boiled eggs I toss the yolk. Any other way though, and I eat them
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My husband was horrified when came to North America for the first time and he saw egg whites in a carton. The concept of it does creep me out a lot and it's very wasteful.

If I'm baking with one or the other, I make a recipe that will use the other half of the egg, or use it to bread things in panko crumbs.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that a food company that produces egg whites in a carton is not discarding the yolks, but instead is finding a productive use for them.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that a food company that produces egg whites in a carton is not discarding the yolks, but instead is finding a productive use for them.

Yeah, profit motive and all that.
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that the whites contain most of the protein, and the yolk contains most of the calories. I did a little research before posting that seems to back that up. Other nutrients seem to be a wash - some are more in the yolk, some in the whites.

I eat a couple of eggs just about every day, yolks and all. As so many others point out, the calories are so reasonable that if you are eating anything resembling a healthy diet, a few eggs a day can't be anything but a good thing.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    I eat at least one whole egg and 9 egg whites every day. I can't eat 10 whole eggs because that would be half of my daily fat allowance before breakfast is even over.

I'd feel guilty tossing that many egg yolks. For nine egg whites' worth of protein I think I'd rather just grab a scoop of whey.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Some people do not like the egg yolk from a texture/taste POV. Others don't like the egg whites for the same reason. Personally I love eggs. Totally tasty!
  • RageQuitP90x
    Options
    If the yolks work in your diet plan, eat them. For some of us who eat 6 to 12 eggs a day it just doesn't work. We are after the protein :D For me it would be +500 cals, + 45g of fat and +1300mg Cholesterol ( a little high for my liking even though I am not really tracking my Cholesterol) a day. No thanks ;)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,284 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

A carton. Real eggs, I assume they use the yolk for something really tasty and with lots of calories. ;-)

I almost always just use whole eggs these days, but I used to supplement my omelets with some extra egg whites.

I may start keeping a carton of egg whites in the fridge. I love whole eggs and prefer them, but sometimes I need to bulk up the meal but don't have the calories or macros to do so. I also don't want to waste the yolks from separating eggs myself.

But I will NEVER do just egg whites. That's just silly!
  • HowlinAl
    HowlinAl Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the texture of hard-boiled yolks. Devil them, I'm all about it, but just eat them? Kinda grossed out. So, I tend to do two whites and one forced-down yolk in those cases.

I sometimes subscribe to the one whole egg plus whites for scrambles, but that's because I need to save those calories for extra bacon. Truth.

I'm so sorry, but is that a Star Trek outfit you're wearing in your avatar?
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    No. Never. It's either whole egg or no egg for me and my family. :)