Why do people put incorrect nutrition facts in the database?

Options
13»

Replies

• sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Aldi must use different bakeries around the country because I had a friend who would log bread that had different numbers than mine and we both checked our packages. So that's a possibility as well.

I was using an entry that was incorrect and when I went to correct it, I noticed that it had been put in the system in 2012. Formulas change.

I've noticed the same thing with Trader Joe's, some entries were pretty different from mine but had several confirmations. It's odd.

I find the same problem with Trader Joe's and half the time the database won't let me create a new entry (even when I want to just keep it private) because it says that it already exists. Very frustrating.

I create new entries for my own private database for entries that already exist all the time. Doesn't prevent me from making them.

Hmmm, wonder if it is just a Windows Phone app glitch then - I don't use the phone app a lot but I do use it at work on things that are "new" (to me) and that is when I notice it happening. I do notice that when I add recipes there even if I tell it to make private it ends up changing that option too (although it has been a LONG time since I added one that way). I usually have to adjust the name of the item in some way to add it (which I don't like to do - I like to use the actual name on the package).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Aldi must use different bakeries around the country because I had a friend who would log bread that had different numbers than mine and we both checked our packages. So that's a possibility as well.

I was using an entry that was incorrect and when I went to correct it, I noticed that it had been put in the system in 2012. Formulas change.

I've noticed the same thing with Trader Joe's, some entries were pretty different from mine but had several confirmations. It's odd.

I find the same problem with Trader Joe's and half the time the database won't let me create a new entry (even when I want to just keep it private) because it says that it already exists. Very frustrating.

I create new entries for my own private database for entries that already exist all the time. Doesn't prevent me from making them.

Hmmm, wonder if it is just a Windows Phone app glitch then - I don't use the phone app a lot but I do use it at work on things that are "new" (to me) and that is when I notice it happening. I do notice that when I add recipes there even if I tell it to make private it ends up changing that option too (although it has been a LONG time since I added one that way). I usually have to adjust the name of the item in some way to add it (which I don't like to do - I like to use the actual name on the package).

I use android or the website to enter new food in. Maybe check your settings to make sure you're always set to making new entries private?
    Although I do think that entering from the phone is more likely to result in foods being public when I want them to be private. And then those can't be deleted when I no longer need them.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options

I use android or the website to enter new food in. Maybe check your settings to make sure you're always set to making new entries private?
    Although I do think that entering from the phone is more likely to result in foods being public when I want them to be private. And then those can't be deleted when I no longer need them.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the phone - I love (loved) Windows Phone but my current phone has always had issues and it is making me seriously consider switching (although that could cause problems as home as I live with a diehard Microsoft fanboy).
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    81Katz wrote: »
    Besides some of the produce and meat entries I've used for years now I make my own entries these days (and don't share them). I make sure to include things like potassium and convert the serving sizes to 100g. It's a lot faster than trying to search the database (why is there no sort options?!) and checking entries to make sure they're complete -- plus the added convenience of having everything in 100g measurements.

I've added several myself and don't share them either. I prefer using grams instead of '1/2 cup' or '1 tbsp' ... Sometimes I eat more or less of the serving so grams is simply easier.

... if you have a food scale with you at all times. For food I don't make myself, I know that my entry is going to be inaccurate because I can't measure it. Knowing that, I far prefer database entries in volume rather than weight. I can guestimate volume like one cup to within 20% but I'm absolutely hopeless at guesstimating weight. I'm typically off by 200% or more.

Same here! It's easy to estimate cups or tablespoons (I guesstimate then add more just in case, like putting in 2/3 cup of rice if I guesstimate it at 1/2), but grams? Too hard haha
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be surprised if it is the phone - I love (loved) Windows Phone but my current phone has always had issues and it is making me seriously consider switching (although that could cause problems as home as I live with a diehard Microsoft fanboy).

I did not know those existed. But then my friend sent me the frog meme in Excel so I guess there are two of them.

And +1 to saving others' entries. I have created and copied meals before for items so I wouldn't have to wade back in and figure out exactly which Oscar Mayer Shaved Ham 97% has both grams and the correct information (there are 857 options). Now I'm adding potassium to entries as that information is becoming more available so those are getting saved to my foods.
  • ilovemypeekapug
    ilovemypeekapug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    For example today I was looking up little Debbie oatmeal cake ( don't judge ;) ) and there was two that had same title and the nutritional info was similar, except for the sodium. One was 300 and the other 170??

The 170 calorie ones are the small, regular size ones that come in the box. The 300 calorie ones are the extra big ones, like the kind you can buy at a gas station from the Little Debbie Snack stand. Not proud that I know this information by heart. Don't judge. ;)
  • Sigma28
    Sigma28 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My comment is probably going to get buried, but here's my "devil's advocate" reply...Sometimes the inputted data is old. It isn't necessarily the fault of the original contributor. For example, I just went to Longhorn Steakhouse and had to update (change) the current info in the database for grilled salmon. According to the website, the current serving size is 7 and 10 oz. They specifically state on there that the nutritional info is only accurate from March to May 2015. Another example--perhaps a company wants some food product to look less caloric. Those 4 large Little Debbie muffins just shrank a bit, and all of a sudden, your calorie count and macros will change. tl;dr--sometimes mfp contributor information is outdated.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sigma28 wrote: »
    My comment is probably going to get buried, but here's my "devil's advocate" reply...Sometimes the inputted data is old. It isn't necessarily the fault of the original contributor. For example, I just went to Longhorn Steakhouse and had to update (change) the current info in the database for grilled salmon. According to the website, the current serving size is 7 and 10 oz. They specifically state on there that the nutritional info is only accurate from March to May 2015. Another example--perhaps a company wants some food product to look less caloric. Those 4 large Little Debbie muffins just shrank a bit, and all of a sudden, your calorie count and macros will change. tl;dr--sometimes mfp contributor information is outdated.

Yup. Here's one that is apropos to this time of year:

cad-eggs.jpg

On the right is the version from about a decade ago. On the left is current incarnation. They must be underfeeding those bunnies...
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    Options
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ^^the bottom is the one I used! I think the top is wrong
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sometimes its just little mistakes, and I get it, we all make mistakes. Or as already mentioned sometimes the product changes so there are little changes in the nutrition.

but then you see those few entries where you just have to wonder if they are in denial or what?

I also don't get why people make thes "Iatewaytoomuchatthebuffet" for 3000 calories or whatever entries.....isn't that what quick add calories are for?