not a happy camper right now

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    johnriii wrote: »
    The problem isn't going to be not drinking enough water or not meeting your calorie allowance. The fault most likely lies in your calorie counting. Make sure you measure out everything and track super accurately. Losing weight really is just a case of calories in/calories out. You may be overestimating the amount of calories you burn during exercise, or underestimating your intake. Double check you've input your measurements and activity level correctly.

I appreciate the input, but I'm very accurate on both counts. my cardio exercises are done on elliptical machines and treadmills, so if they're wrong, not my fault! seriously, I DO believe in the premise of not enough water or eating too little. it's been proven by weight watchers and others that too little food will send your body into starvation mode, and hold on to weight/fat for dear life. the Army also believes this as well. either way, water can't hurt me, and a little more food would give me more fuel to workout more efficiently. we'll see come next thursday. thanks.

Then why are you eating 700 calories under your goal? If you put that you want to lose weight, it already has a deficit built into your calorie goal. If you said you want to lose 1lb per week it's 500, 2 would be 1000. So, you are possibly eating at a 1200-1700 calorie deficit.

You claim that you are logging accurately, although your diary isn't open, so I can't contribute much to that. Be sure you are weighing your solid foods with a food scale and choosing accurate data entries (thanks to all the users who manage to F thousands of entries up). Also, the machines typically do overestimate; I just log 2/3 of the calories it tells me that I burn.

That said, it's been a week; give it time.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    OP, I think many of us have had the same experience at the beginning. The first 3 weeks can be so disheartening--it was for me. We're busting our a** in the gym, eating better than ever before and then when we step on the scale there's little to no reward.

Like others have said, an open diary is helpful so we can offer some direction. If you don't use one already, a $25 food scale is your best friend. Next best is being able to easily log it here on MFP. At the end of the day, you've got a roadmap of where you've been. Some days you'll be darned proud of that food diary and other days you'll wish you didn't have to log that midnight snack that put you over on your day's calories!

I am confident with your background as a Marine, you'll have the discipline and drive to lose that 30 pounds sooner than you think :smile:

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

I appreciate the input, but I'm very accurate on both counts. my cardio exercises are done on elliptical machines and treadmills, so if they're wrong, not my fault! seriously, I DO believe in the premise of not enough water or eating too little. it's been proven by weight watchers and others that too little food will send your body into starvation mode, and hold on to weight/fat for dear life. the Army also believes this as well. either way, water can't hurt me, and a little more food would give me more fuel to workout more efficiently. we'll see come next thursday. thanks.

You are in very blatant denial of your situation, it's no wonder you are not seeing any progress.

Starvation mode might be true to a point, whe you get extremely under weight, but it does not apply to the avarage human being because they will never get to that point, plus the changes that do occur are not enough to completely reverse the CICO equation. If that were the case concentration camp survivors would have all come out fat and happy.

The machines are widely accepted as wrong, so if you are ignoring that fact and using those numbers anyways, then yes, it is your fault.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP I don't think you are in denial I just think you want a quick definate answer and you can't have one. Its our bodies way of healing and it will do what it needs to do to heal. I took three years to lose 60 pounds...the right way and its been gone for 24 years. Just keep going and do not give up.

We - people are funny when it comes to our fitness and food. We focus on the results...the results are just a bi product of our behaviors...so focus on your behaviours and one day - poof - you will look in the mirror and be a whole different person. It happens in its own time....focus on the right thing...not the results but the behaviours that get you the results.
  • urloved33
    Options
    I'm a 51 year old guy, who is about 60 lbs overweight. I'm a veteran (marines/army) so I know what it takes to be in and get into shape. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about four years ago, and have finally decided to get serious about my weight/health. I've been watching what I eat vigorously, and have been to Planet fitness 6 of the last 7 days, hitting the cardio for over an hour. three weeks in (today) I get on the scale, and I lost zero pounds. zero. how disheartening is that? I busted my butt all week long, stayed motivated, and this morning the scale jumps up and smacks me upside the head. I MUST lose this weight, it's not an option. I'm past the gotta look good in my jeans faze, this is about my long term health. what good is it to deny yourself if it's not getting me anywhere? now, I did review what i may have done wrong, and the one thing that jumps out at me is not drinking enough water, and not eating enough of my daily calorie allowance. most nights, I end the day with 7-800 calories left to eat, per my allowance. I did this with weight watchers too, a few years back. so maybe it's my own fault, trying to lose too much too fast. so I'm commiting to drinking as much water as I can stand, and eating more closely to my caloric allowance...healthy stuff, of course.

Here you say it yourself..."trying to lose too much too fast" this is true... this is not a race...this is your life and so you need to adjust this to be a lifestyle.

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    It happens in its own time....focus on the right thing...not the results but the behaviours that get you the results.

I like this advice, but for it to work you have to know what behavior gets you the results.
  • johnriii
    johnriii Posts: 18 Member
    Options

You are in very blatant denial of your situation, it's no wonder you are not seeing any progress.

Starvation mode might be true to a point, whe you get extremely under weight, but it does not apply to the avarage human being because they will never get to that point, plus the changes that do occur are not enough to completely reverse the CICO equation. If that were the case concentration camp survivors would have all come out fat and happy.

The machines are widely accepted as wrong, so if you are ignoring that fact and using those numbers anyways, then yes, it is your fault.

wow. I came here for support and information, not a verbal spanking. excuse me for being a little naive/ignorant in my old age.

• johnriii
    Options
    OP I don't think you are in denial I just think you want a quick definate answer and you can't have one. Its our bodies way of healing and it will do what it needs to do to heal. I took three years to lose 60 pounds...the right way and its been gone for 24 years. Just keep going and do not give up.

We - people are funny when it comes to our fitness and food. We focus on the results...the results are just a bi product of our behaviors...so focus on your behaviours and one day - poof - you will look in the mirror and be a whole different person. It happens in its own time....focus on the right thing...not the results but the behaviours that get you the results.

that's a good point. not giving up, just looking for support and people who can empathize. thanks.
  • urloved33
    Options

that's a good point. not giving up, just looking for support and people who can empathize. thanks.

Its a subject that gets overcomplicated. move more than you consume forever....forever and the weight will do away!

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    edited April 2015
    Options

wow. I came here for support and information, not a verbal spanking. excuse me for being a little naive/ignorant in my old age.

The best forms of support come in many forms and are not always what they seem. Would you rather someone "support" you along a failing journey by telling you you're correct when you aren't, or point you in the right direction even when you don't want to hear it?

ETA: there ya go sofaking
  • urloved33
    edited April 2015
    Options

I have gotten stung too...over and over, its starteling at first.. Ignore it and you will find friends that support you without the smack in the face....lol.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

The best forms of support come in many forms and are not always what they seem. Would you rather someone "support" you along a failing journey by telling you your correct when you aren't, or point you in the right direction even when you don't want to hear it?

*you're
  • johnriii
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    The problem isn't going to be not drinking enough water or not meeting your calorie allowance. The fault most likely lies in your calorie counting. Make sure you measure out everything and track super accurately. Losing weight really is just a case of calories in/calories out. You may be overestimating the amount of calories you burn during exercise, or underestimating your intake. Double check you've input your measurements and activity level correctly.

Then why are you eating 700 calories under your goal? If you put that you want to lose weight, it already has a deficit built into your calorie goal. If you said you want to lose 1lb per week it's 500, 2 would be 1000. So, you are possibly eating at a 1200-1700 calorie deficit.

You claim that you are logging accurately, although your diary isn't open, so I can't contribute much to that. Be sure you are weighing your solid foods with a food scale and choosing accurate data entries (thanks to all the users who manage to F thousands of entries up). Also, the machines typically do overestimate; I just log 2/3 of the calories it tells me that I burn.

That said, it's been a week; give it time.

ok. wow. some of you guys are intense! I'm going back to the Marines where I can get paid to be yelled at! LOL...seriously, I don't eat under my calorie count on purpose...I work two Jobs, 64-65 hours a week, it's kinda hard to weigh food, prepare food, buy food, etc with my schedule, plus other things that life outside of work demands. I'm doing great with slimfast and Smart Ones as busy as some of my days can be. (yes, I'm doing THIS on my work PC!) with that being said, I'm new to all of this, and "Open Diary" was nothing that i knew anything about. I'm just a guy trying to get healthier, nothing more. the simple fact that I'm going to the Gym everyday that I don't work my 2nd job (four days a week) should net me some results, and i HAVE lost 7 lbs in three weeks, just none last week. thanks again for the information, i had no idea that exercise machines could be inaccurate.

• jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I will also suggest like others have on taking your measurements. You'll be surprised how you may lose inches and not have it even show on the stubborn scale. I had 3 weeks where the scale didn't move and I took my measurements to compare from when I started and I had lost 5 inches from my mid section. I am an instant gratification kind of person and going thru this journey I am having to learn patience, the hard way lol. Unfortunately the scale isn't 100% unreliable but don't get discouraged, keep your eyes on your ultimate goal. Best of luck!
  • johnriii
    Options
    jazzine1 wrote: »
    I will also suggest like others have on taking your measurements. You'll be surprised how you may lose inches and not have it even show on the stubborn scale. I had 3 weeks where the scale didn't move and I took my measurements to compare from when I started and I had lost 5 inches from my mid section. I am an instant gratification kind of person and going thru this journey I am having to learn patience, the hard way lol. Unfortunately the scale isn't 100% unreliable but don't get discouraged, keep your eyes on your ultimate goal. Best of luck!

Thanks. I'll do the measurements this weekend and use that as a gauge as well.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Wait, you've lost 7lbs over 4 weeks and you're complaining? Congrats, that's great progress! Weight loss isn't going to be linear, and the scale is annoying. Look at overall trends, realize some weeks you won't lose, and take pictures and measurements to use as other benchmarks for success.

And none of the comments in this thread are meant to be harsh; you are likely reading into a tone that isn't there. It's something that can be difficult in online forums. None of us are berating you, although several of us can be blunt.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    Wait, you've lost 7lbs over 4 weeks and you're complaining? Congrats, that's great progress!

I thought you lost no weight?

Also, re-read your first post, and it says you just started working out this week? It's common for people to see and increase in weight when they start or change up an exercise routine, it's temporary, just part of the muscles recovering and stuff. Could be masking some loss you would have seen?

• HollyB1223
    HollyB1223 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have to comment here. I understand where you're coming from and what you're saying. I think a lot of people believe themselves to be experts because they can drop a pound when they work at it. I used to think I was an expert. In my 20's, I lost over 160 lbs, gained from having babies and being completely busy being a mother and taking care of my household. The weight would come off when I worked at it! Now, it's another story all together. I've been tracking carefully, plus being intentional about extra exercise since Oct. of 2013, but unable to lose. Finally set my goals high enough I am never hungry but can maintain at that level. And finally my feet are cooperating with starting to jog again. I'm sitting right at 195# and just stuck there. Kind of sad, packing away smaller sizes from my closet the last few days and moving them to the attic, but I need clothes that suit me, and it will be quite some time before I can drop pounds enough to fit a smaller size again. One person on my friends list said a wise thing. She said: "I didn't lose 50 lbs... I lost 1 lbs. And then lost 1 more lbs. And I did that 50 times."
  • johnriii
    Options
    Wait, you've lost 7lbs over 4 weeks and you're complaining? Congrats, that's great progress! Weight loss isn't going to be linear, and the scale is annoying. Look at overall trends, realize some weeks you won't lose, and take pictures and measurements to use as other benchmarks for success.

And none of the comments in this thread are meant to be harsh; you are likely reading into a tone that isn't there. It's something that can be difficult in online forums. None of us are berating you, although several of us can be blunt.

Not really complaining as much as disappointed. I came looking for information and support, as well as solutions. I got all three, and then some! I usually get into some intense conversations on Smartphone forum threads, they got NOTHING on you guys over here! thanks again.

• TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    @johnriii Stay with it. Check out high intensity interval training cardio; HIIT is better at fat burning than stead state cardio. I was type 2 diabetic for years but am fully cured now. I lost 185 pounds, which took about a year and a half.