WHY WON'T YOU FIT INSIDE ME?!

Replies

• NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    r5d5 wrote: »
    I'm by no means an expert here, but upon reading the thread, I think what you're really struggling with is the idea of eating "clean" vs. "unhealthy." Which, there is no such thing. Like everyone is saying, you can bulk on broccoli or you can bulk on cupcakes. Extra calories are extra calories. You're not "unhealthily" gaining weight because you ate pizza as opposed to broccoli.
    And as someone mentioned above, you're not at all pissing anyone off! Honestly, I think we all appreciate when people come to forums to learn and improve, rather than just search for the answer they want to hear.
    Best wishes!

Makes sense... I mean, if I'm lifting heavy, I'm at least putting that food/calories to use in the form of energy. And energy is needed to create well, more energy, which will help me build muscle, which will then aid in losing the fat that comes along with the muscle (like *kitten* ex-boyfriends; you have to accept them and that they get you to where you want to be, then you get strong and drop their *kitten* like bad habits-- or something like that.)

I guess I'm so confused because up until now, I've been focusing on losing, or "slimming down". I know that women can't get "bulky" from lifting weights (the level of testosterone in our bodies just isn't enough to do it on accident) so I'm not worried about that. I guess it all just feels like a trap. I've heard of all the fancy "magic cures" to weight loss, but you're telling me I can get strong AND eat whatever I want (within reason of course) Holy wow, what?

And yeah, there's no way I could bulk up on broccoli. I guess I'll start cutting myself some slack now when you put it that way. :o

Wow, some people who come in with a single track mindset actually are open to learning through other user's experiences instead of holding onto their pre-conceived notions, and broscience.

You should be commended.

goldstar.gif

Trust me, I'm the first to admit my ignorance on the subject. I'm part of this community because I'm looking to change that, and I know that the people on here offer a great amount of support/advice. And yes, @CarlydogsMom I am most absolutely overthinking things... that's a really crappy thing about having anxiety (and just being the weird brain that I am) I analyze and calculate and break apart every single thing to the tiniest little microthing until the poor horse is so darned beaten it's more horse soup than anything recognizable...

I appreciate all the advice though. I'll just have to trust that I'm in good hands here, and watch how things go. I have no issues with eating to my heart's content. I just wasn't sure if there was anything I should try to avoid (I try to avoid sugars and sodium too terribly much, just because they don't agree with me in excess. Greasy foods or overly salty or sweet foods make me want to throw up) but other than that, I'll definitely do my best to start weighing my food more accurately (I think I need a new food scale, mine is manual and seems a bit off) and not be afraid of packing on those calories... :P
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    mkakids wrote: »
    Add a tbspn of oil/fat to your veggies when you cook them (and protein for that matter).

Very good idea. I hadn't really considered that, but that's a great way to add those calories/fats without being really heavy on my stomach. (I need more of these "cheat calories"-- a way to get the calories that I need, but without overeating/forcing myself to eat when I'm just not hungry) Now that's what I call haxors.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I'm by no means an expert here, but upon reading the thread, I think what you're really struggling with is the idea of eating "clean" vs. "unhealthy." Which, there is no such thing. Like everyone is saying, you can bulk on broccoli or you can bulk on cupcakes. Extra calories are extra calories. You're not "unhealthily" gaining weight because you ate pizza as opposed to broccoli.
    And as someone mentioned above, you're not at all pissing anyone off! Honestly, I think we all appreciate when people come to forums to learn and improve, rather than just search for the answer they want to hear.
    Best wishes!

Makes sense... I mean, if I'm lifting heavy, I'm at least putting that food/calories to use in the form of energy. And energy is needed to create well, more energy, which will help me build muscle, which will then aid in losing the fat that comes along with the muscle (like *kitten* ex-boyfriends; you have to accept them and that they get you to where you want to be, then you get strong and drop their *kitten* like bad habits-- or something like that.)

I guess I'm so confused because up until now, I've been focusing on losing, or "slimming down". I know that women can't get "bulky" from lifting weights (the level of testosterone in our bodies just isn't enough to do it on accident) so I'm not worried about that. I guess it all just feels like a trap. I've heard of all the fancy "magic cures" to weight loss, but you're telling me I can get strong AND eat whatever I want (within reason of course) Holy wow, what?

And yeah, there's no way I could bulk up on broccoli. I guess I'll start cutting myself some slack now when you put it that way. :o

Wow, some people who come in with a single track mindset actually are open to learning through other user's experiences instead of holding onto their pre-conceived notions, and broscience.

You should be commended.

goldstar.gif

Trust me, I'm the first to admit my ignorance on the subject. I'm part of this community because I'm looking to change that, and I know that the people on here offer a great amount of support/advice. And yes, @CarlydogsMom I am most absolutely overthinking things... that's a really crappy thing about having anxiety (and just being the weird brain that I am) I analyze and calculate and break apart every single thing to the tiniest little microthing until the poor horse is so darned beaten it's more horse soup than anything recognizable...

I appreciate all the advice though. I'll just have to trust that I'm in good hands here, and watch how things go. I have no issues with eating to my heart's content. I just wasn't sure if there was anything I should try to avoid (I try to avoid sugars and sodium too terribly much, just because they don't agree with me in excess. Greasy foods or overly salty or sweet foods make me want to throw up) but other than that, I'll definitely do my best to start weighing my food more accurately (I think I need a new food scale, mine is manual and seems a bit off) and not be afraid of packing on those calories... :P

glad you are taking everything in ..

here is a simple formula for your bulking..

eat big + lift big + hit macro/micro/calorie targets = successful bulk

it really is that simple...

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Best wishes!

You should be commended.

goldstar.gif

I wonder how many calories would be in a bowl of horse soup, and if it would be dependent upon the breed...
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Best wishes!

You should be commended.

goldstar.gif

I guess it just doesn't *feel* like it should be that simple. Dr.Oz needs to take note. *kitten* your Garcina Cambogia, just eat heavy and lift heavier-- hah.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Best wishes!

You should be commended.

goldstar.gif

I guess it just doesn't *feel* like it should be that simple. Dr.Oz needs to take note. *kitten* your Garcina Cambogia, just eat heavy and lift heavier-- hah.

trust me, it really is...

I did that and went from 176 to 186 over four months. Increased all my measurements - chest, shoulders, thighs, waist - and my lifts went up too. Now that I am cutting, I have already dropped five pounds and the new muscle I added is starting to show...

Funny think about a bulk, the fat tends to come off faster when you cut...
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I have another thread open in regards to "bulking", but tl;dr version: I'm not interested in cramming my face full of anything that packs a caloric punch, and then trying to shed off the excess of fat once I have a desireable amount of muscle. I'm going for what I can only assume is described as a "slow bulk". I don't want a ton of sugar in my diet because it's not healthy to consume a f*-ton of sugar every day. I'm sure I could EASILY pack on the pounds if I was just pounding away on Hungry Howies pizza every night, but I don't see how that's going to get me towards being stronger the *right* way. It's only going to add on a bunch of unnecessary fat (yes, I realize that SOME fat will be gained with muscle gain, of course) but I don't feel like playing the heavy bulk/super cut game. I'd rather it take longer and do it the right way...

I'm going to be very blunt, here. Your mindset and beliefs about bulking are almost completely wrong.

The amount of fat you put on with the muscle is determined almost entirely of how big a surplus you are eating - not the types of food you're eating. 250-500 Calorie surplus is generally considered a "clean" or "slow" bulk. Since you are concerned about putting on too much fat - go with a 250-300 Calorie surplus.

Also, when bulking, carbs are your friend. You need protein, but generally not as much as you do when trying to lose weight. Provided you are getting (pretty darned close to) all of your protein, fat, and micronutrient needs otherwise, there's nothing wrong with adding the less micronutrient-dense, yet Calorie/carb-dense treats.

You don't need to be "pounding away on Hungry Howies pizza every night." You do, however, need to eat more. Where those Calories come from - as long as your macros and micros are met - is quite insignificant. Again, go 250-300 Calories over maintenance, continue to strength train, and succeed.

I appreciate the bluntness. I guess my views are based on what I've researched on more extreme bulking. I am currently on a 250ish surplus, but even with that I'm really, really struggling to meet my calories (or my macros for that matter!) I understand that assuming you've met your macros that less "nutritional" food is A-okay. And hey, I'm cool with that. But I feel like some people are trying to make the point that "macros ain't nothing but hoes and tricks" where obviously that's bullsh*t. I didn't realize that carbs would help a successful bulk-- that makes sense though. I guess I should just try to focus on complex carbs which will be put to good instead of evil (looking at you, donuts) Currently I'm trying to get 100g+ of protein (age 23, 5 foot 6 inches tall, and now around 137 pounds) would you say that's more than I need for a bulk? No one mentioned protein being more important during a cut, but that makes sense. I appreciate, again, your bluntness, and information. :)

Actually, a donut would likely be good for you - especially 45-60 minutes before your workout.

Depending on your BF%, 100 or so grams of protein is probably good. You say you weigh 137 pounds, so I'm going to guess (as a woman trying to bulk) you are somewhere around 20% BF? Which means about 105-110 lb of LBM - so I'd try to get in 110 g protein (minimum, but you don't need to go crazy). I took a brief look at your diary, and it appears that you're getting in (for the few days I looked) over 100g of protein, but leaving a few hundred Calories on the table. As such, more or less, you can probably fill in those extra Calories with whatever you want.

Wow OP you're getting some really great pointers here! I hope you're taking notes!

Ps, once I've filled my macro and micro quota I don't have much room left for treats.
    We aren't talking massive amounts of delicious carby sweet fatness.
    On a bulk, probably for me after my 110g protein veg and oats etc I use to fuel myself, maybe a Choccy bar, or some granola. But hidden among those treats are.....Macros! Useful ones. That's why MFP is great. You can have pizza for lunch if the rest of the day is lean meats and veg and carbs.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    you can bulk on broccoli

*shudder*

Can you even fathom how much broccoli one would need to eat to get an extra 500-ish calories?

I love broccoli, but even I have my limits.

Imagine the farts.

immediately-regret-this-decision.gif
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member

Catlories?

Cat lorries? Lorries for cats, or lorries full of cats?

I think I need to eat lunch.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    OP, I net about 2000 calories a day and average 190 grams of protein per day. I eat my exercise calories to reach the net. My diary is open if you want some food ideas. I also lift 4 days a week.
  • For bulking I usually include one extra High Cal Gainer Shake somewhere in my day. I will also adjust some meals to compensate a little.

Here is my recipe but I sub'd skim milk with Soy.

Toss it all into a blender with some ice (could just remove soy and add 1/2 cup water) and a minute later a great tasting shake. Easy way of taking in close to 1000 cals at one sitting.

l1xhr32umddv.png

I also grind my oats into a powder with a coffee been grinder to help with the chunkie factor that oats add.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    I am so jealous of the people who struggle to eat more. I am only 5'7 and 170 pounds but in one sitting I'm able to eat 4000+ calories given the right foods. I struggle to keep it under 2000 a day.

I go to Costco each week and buy the packs of 12 chicken breasts. I prep my meals with these for 5 or 6 days. Half of them go to lunches, half to dinners. This amounts to about 10-15 bites of chicken per meal, and I end up around 150 or more grams of protein each day when other sources are accounted for. My dinners are tiny and occupy not much more than a bowl of cereal because they're almost entirely chicken breast. Surely you can do that.

Gah. Aren't you sick of chicken? Buying it, prepping it, cooking it, eating it, looking at it...???
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    You have to switch your thought process.

You cannot expect to build muscle while in the mind frame of weight loss.

Either that or try re-comp. I'm re-comping. Build Muscle at Calorie Deficit. It's a slow process but there is no doubt it will get you muscle and you get to eat nutritionally dense food 80% of the time 20% treats (per week).

You have an added advantage that you like to lift heavy.
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Get them shakes babe oatmeal +peanut butter +milk + protein + banana+ some coconut oils - booom almost 1000cals
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    vfit10 wrote: »
    Get them shakes babe oatmeal +peanut butter +milk + protein + banana+ some coconut oils - booom almost 1000cals

I make a cheesecake with almost that many calories per 214gram serving...probably lots of protein too from the cheese and peanut butter. (just checked 21 grams so not bad for a cheese cake)

• NekoneMeowMixx
    OP, I net about 2000 calories a day and average 190 grams of protein per day. I eat my exercise calories to reach the net. My diary is open if you want some food ideas. I also lift 4 days a week.

Holy balls, Cap'n, that's a lot of protein! Haha I definitely appreciate the offer, and I've already got your profile open and tabbed to look into here in a moment!

Wow OP you're getting some really great pointers here! I hope you're taking notes!

Ps, once I've filled my macro and micro quota I don't have much room left for treats.
    We aren't talking massive amounts of delicious carby sweet fatness.
    On a bulk, probably for me after my 110g protein veg and oats etc I use to fuel myself, maybe a Choccy bar, or some granola. But hidden among those treats are.....Macros! Useful ones. That's why MFP is great. You can have pizza for lunch if the rest of the day is lean meats and veg and carbs.

Yeah, that's what I've been struggling to do though, is fill those macros. I guess I need to learn how to eat smart so I'm just filling up on macro-void calories and then wondering why I'm not making any progress (definitely getting my carb on today, though, haha)

For bulking I usually include one extra High Cal Gainer Shake somewhere in my day. I will also adjust some meals to compensate a little.

Here is my recipe but I sub'd skim milk with Soy.

Toss it all into a blender with some ice (could just remove soy and add 1/2 cup water) and a minute later a great tasting shake. Easy way of taking in close to 1000 cals at one sitting.

l1xhr32umddv.png

I also grind my oats into a powder with a coffee been grinder to help with the chunkie factor that oats add.

Olive oil in a smoothie? Wow-- I never thought of that! Sneaky though! Could you make a suggestion on a decently priced blender that will do its f*ing job? I bought a $20 one (don't recall brand) but it's absolutely fail. Like, it has an on/off, and a pulse setting and that's it. It won't crush ice for anything, and it hardly can shred up spinach. Pretty sad, really... :\ I'd like to keep it under $50, but I need a new one, clearly...
    runner475 wrote: »
    You have to switch your thought process.

You cannot expect to build muscle while in the mind frame of weight loss.

Either that or try re-comp. I'm re-comping. Build Muscle at Calorie Deficit. It's a slow process but there is no doubt it will get you muscle and you get to eat nutritionally dense food 80% of the time 20% treats (per week).

You have an added advantage that you like to lift heavy.

Yeah, I'm not opposed to gaining a little weight if it means helping me reach my goals, sure. When I brought up recomp, it was more of a curiousity, and to weight out my options. I wasn't trying to bash bulking (I'm sure it works really well for people, I've seen the evidence!) But I'm just not sure if I have the stomach to eat like crazy, and then the willpower to essentially starve myself in comparison (I'm being extreme, but I've heard/am assuming that's what cutting post bulk feels like)

I'm trying to do some research on recomp, but am totally open to any suggestions/opinions anyone may have. I seem to be able to shed weight fairly easily, and I've definitely noticed a little bit of muscle gain (probably newbie gains) when I *was* still on a deficit, but I'm curious how they work in contrast, so I can compare and figure out which might be best for my body/mindset/needs. Not sure I have the patience for a recomp, is my only gripe xD
  • RageQuitP90x
    RageQuitP90x Posts: 11
    edited April 2015

Olive oil in a smoothie? Wow-- I never thought of that! Sneaky though! Could you make a suggestion on a decently priced blender that will do its f*ing job? I bought a $20 one (don't recall brand) but it's absolutely fail. Like, it has an on/off, and a pulse setting and that's it. It won't crush ice for anything, and it hardly can shred up spinach. Pretty sad, really... :\ I'd like to keep it under $50, but I need a new one, clearly...

I went through 2 cheaper blenders and ended up getting a Ninja Pro Blender. I just have the base one, found it on sale for about $75 CAD so but US I think they start around $70. Absolutely an amazing blender, the blades scare me when I clean them but it goes through anything. I little pricey but look for sales I guess. I am sure there are other similar ones on the market.

** Yes great way to get Olive Oil into ones diet.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    @RageQuitP90x Thanks for the suggestion! That is a little more than I'm looking to spend (and sounds scary, haha!) but I mean, if I do decide to go for the horse soup, it would definitely come in handy! :P

Also, I should note that I'm still pretty new to lifting heavy. I mean, I started Stronglifts a few weeks back, but I was lifting pretty light (bench press ~30 pounds, squats ~50 pounds) when someone scolded my "off day" at the gym where I burned almost 700 calories doing cardio, I realized they were right-- I wasn't lifting heavy enough, or else I'd NEED that off day. Sure enough, I'm up to 45 pounds on bench press (but I struggle to do it) and just broke 105 on my squat on Monday. It kicks my *kitten*, but I know I'm actually making progress.

So I'm sure this initial weight gain is mostly water weight/my body getting used to the calorie intake. Can't wait to see the NSV to come!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    @RageQuitP90x Thanks for the suggestion! That is a little more than I'm looking to spend (and sounds scary, haha!) but I mean, if I do decide to go for the horse soup, it would definitely come in handy! :P

Also, I should note that I'm still pretty new to lifting heavy. I mean, I started Stronglifts a few weeks back, but I was lifting pretty light (bench press ~30 pounds, squats ~50 pounds) when someone scolded my "off day" at the gym where I burned almost 700 calories doing cardio, I realized they were right-- I wasn't lifting heavy enough, or else I'd NEED that off day. Sure enough, I'm up to 45 pounds on bench press (but I struggle to do it) and just broke 105 on my squat on Monday. It kicks my *kitten*, but I know I'm actually making progress.

So I'm sure this initial weight gain is mostly water weight/my body getting used to the calorie intake. Can't wait to see the NSV to come!

If you are that new to lifting why are you attempting a bulk? Just out of curiosity.