Homemade beef jerky question

I'm curious, to put this in MFP for calories, should I use the weight from before or after I smoke it? All I'm using is flank steak and seasoning, so I'm confused on how to calculate. I have a kitchen scale but it seems odd to me to weigh it before I cook it.

Thanks!

Replies

• BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    edited April 2015
    I'd do after. If you were eating a store bought piece of jerky, the weight would be after drying.

Btw, a nice lean london broil makes some good jerky, too.
  • Seahawks_Lover
    Seahawks_Lover Posts: 16 Member
    Thank you!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Take the entire weight of the raw beef and use the calories from that as the calories of the entire recipe. The jerky will weigh less after it's been dried, but that's only water loss. None of the weight loss comes from anything with calories.

So if you use a pound of raw steak and after smoking it weighs 3/4 lb, the entire finished recipe will have the same amount of calories as a pound of raw steak.

Also, it the rub you used contains significant calories (like from a lot of sugar or oil) be sure to add that into the recipe as well

There may be some entries in MFP for homemade jerky, but I would not trust the accuracy, because some people may make their jerky drier or moister than you do, and that would affect the weight.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I think it would depend on what database entry you are using to calculate calories. If it's an entry for jerky, then you should weigh after. If you are using an entry for the beef ingredient, then weigh before.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    I do what was suggested above. When I make jerky, I enter it into a recipe on MFP....based on the raw ingredients, but use the final weight (in grams) as the servings. SO I wait until it is complete to make the recipe entry (I just write the weights of everything down as I go).

So for example if my entire recipe (raw) weighs 100 grams and is 100 calories for all ingredients, but the final product weighs 50grams (cooked)....I record 50 servings and it logs it as 2 calories a gram.
  • Seahawks_Lover
    Seahawks_Lover Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks Everyone! :smile: