I have a "Desk Job"

In my job I sit at my desk 90% of the day working and when Im not working I am in school. Also sitting. I have to find little ways to do be more active at work besides getting up to get somethin g off of the printer. Anyone successful find a way to loose the weight while working a desk job? I am looking to loose about 50lbs. Feel free to add me and we can encourage each other!

Replies

• jefemullin
    jefemullin Posts: 42 Member
    I'm right there with ya, just sent you a friend request. I ride a desk most days but have started parking farther away in the parking lot and taking stairs whenever possible. Good luck! Not sure how your work goes but i take an occassional 15 minute walk outside that helps my step count and also my sanity!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Ninety pounds, desk job.

I use an interval timer to remind me to get up at least once an hour. That's to prevent repetitive strain.

Weight lost through bariatric surgery and portion control. So yes you can lose all the weight you want through portion control.

I also run every other day about thirty minutes but I started out walking twenty to forty minutes a day on a treadmill.

You might want to get yourself a fitbit or step counter just to understand how many steps you are getting in a day.
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    I've lost 47 lbs so far and yep, I've got the good old desk job, and like you, am finishing a college degree too, with lots of homework that involve me sitting.
    Things that worked for me was early AM work outs, or late night ones, getting off my chair and away from my desk every 2 hours, even if just for 5-10 mins to take a short walk and stretch. I've also adjusted my food intake at work. I don't know about you, but sitting at my desk makes me snack more, so I'm now here with the fruit, and green tea, water bottles and string cheese, and other low cal options.
    Finally, I make the most of days off and try to get at least an hour or more of movement in.
    Walks, DVD workout, whatever works.
    Oh and you've heard of the good old, park far away, take the steps, etc :)

Good luck! :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    747158p.jpg
  • thouser4241
    thouser4241 Posts: 9 Member
    I not only have a desk job but I work from home!!! Which totally throws me off! I am a few steps away from the kitchen and I just don't have a lot of will power. Today has been a good day. I am in the same 50lb weight loss ideal. Good Luck! I'm not sure how to add but look forward to seeing your progress.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    You've undoubtedly read that your loss will be a function of calories in /v/ calories expended. Managing your intake below your caloric expenditure is all it's about -- Desk-job or Aerobics coach, it just doesn't matter.

For my part, accurate logging of my intake and accurate assessment of my caloric needs have produced a 30+ lb loss over an ~80-day period without adding activity until last week (yep, I'm a full-time desk sitter with several injuries that help to reduce my caloric expenditures even further).

To address your original query:
    ... Anyone successful find a way to loose the weight while working a desk job? ...

Yes, by managing my caloric intake to assure that my intake was below my caloric needs.

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited April 2015
    As stated above, take a break here and there. We get (2) 10 minute breaks, I walk during them and I walk as much as possible during lunch.

I think a big thing to try to avoid is mindless snacking at your desk. Only pack your allowed calories and pre-plan your day. I pack my breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks. If you keep extra at your desk, you're more tempted to eat it. Just my opinion.

Good luck!
  • MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    edited April 2015
    I too have a desk job and ironically getting it is what started my weight loss journey. I was already over weight and I knew that if I didn't start doing something that I was going to blow up even bigger so I started walking, first during lunch for 30 minutes and now I walk before I go to work and during lunch break. I also work out with dumbells at home 3 days a week.
  • TheSwoleMinister
    TheSwoleMinister Posts: 70 Member
    Desk job here too... 168 hours in a week though. =)