How to Let Go of Anger

Options
RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
I won't go into details but lately I've been harboring anger and overall negative feelings lately. Writing stuff out helps. I'm just wondering, when you're feeling angry or just in a bad mood, how do you get over it?

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    sex and weed

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    I won't go into details but lately I've been harboring anger and overall negative feelings lately. Writing stuff out helps. I'm just wondering, when you're feeling angry or just in a bad mood, how do you get over it?

I almost can't take this post serious because you used 'lately' twice in the same sentence.
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    Accept Im angry, and validate my anger--the person Im mad at is a total *kitten* and deserves it-- and then decide to do something else, running is good, or listening to really angry music or just kicking stuff, so I spar or go to a kickboxing class
    that or put ice on your face, try a sensory deprivation chamber or do a headstand till you cant think about being mad anymore
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    ... when you're feeling angry or just in a bad mood, how do you get over it?

Same as anything else, you need to make it a choice NOT to react in negative ways. You choose not to act through emotion. You really need to get at WHY something upsets you before anything though.

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I run or dance or (insert cardio) until I'm too tired to be pissy, and then go read a nice escapist novel. Possibly in the bath tub.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I was in a bad mood Wednesday morning... Walked past a homeless guy in a shop doorway who said 'excuse me love, can I ask you something?' So I said, 'go on then...' So he said 'do you think I'm gorgeous?' ' of course you are!' I reply, and walk off.

Moral of the story?... however *kitten* my day, at least I'm not sat in a shop doorway shouting at random people walking past me!
  • LiquidSparkle86
    LiquidSparkle86 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I go to the gun rangw and shoot *kitten*. Great release! Don't own a gun? Maybe try a punching bag or running lol???
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Exhaust myself. Hopefully with a nice long hike in the woods.
  • davesgalforever
    davesgalforever Posts: 220 Member
    Options

I was in a bad mood Wednesday morning... Walked past a homeless guy in a shop doorway who said 'excuse me love, can I ask you something?' So I said, 'go on then...' So he said 'do you think I'm gorgeous?' ' of course you are!' I reply, and walk off.

Moral of the story?... however *kitten* my day, at least I'm not sat in a shop doorway shouting at random people walking past me!

Love this :smile:
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    exercise, sex, take a hike, *kitten*
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I didn't even realize I wrote "lately" twice. Was on my phone, and the brightness was at 0 because it was dying. I'm actually proud that there were no spelling mistakes. Man I'm awesome.

Haha...I'm joking...thanks for the suggestions. I was so angry last night I couldn't sleep, and was tossing and turning all night, which made me sleep deprived which made me even more b-tchy and....voila, domino effect. But the suggestions of exercise (in various forms), reading a book and going to a gun range seem like real winners. I've never gone to a range before, will definitely have to try it now.

I do like reading what all you guys personally do to deal with anger. It's pretty interesting.

Yeah, putting things into perspective might help as well. Hard for me to do when it's the initial violent flare up, but easier as the day goes by. Great story.

• La_Malfaisante_
    La_Malfaisante_ Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Booze
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Acknowledge why you're angry and give yourself an allotted amount of time to dwell on it...but don't get lost in it. The next step is figuring out if there are ways to avoid whatever caused you frustration, and if so, make the effort to see that it never happens again.

In my case, I usually end up harboring anger towards things that I have no power or control over. The "inevitable," if you will. It's hard to let go of things that we may not agree with or understand, but being able to accept these things is imperative to living a healthy life. There's no use crying over spilled milk and all that jazz.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I like to put things in perspective myself. I remember the homeless people that I work with and the things they have endure. They have complicated personal lives and health problems that I could never imagine. I put on my headphones and go for a walk as well.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Anger was my initial motivation when I started boxing (lessons and all) four yrs ago. Now, anytime I feel the heat rising, out to the bag! It's awesome!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Depends on the reason for my anger. If it's something I can change, I try to resolve it. If it's more of a general FML type feeling, then I try to channel the energy I'd use being angry into something more productive, like running, lifting all the things, rearranging or repainting a room, weeding out my closet, etc.

And sometimes chocolate.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    It's ok to be angry. It's an emotion like any other, but it's not healthy to stay there for too long. Look at what's making you angry---is it something on TV? Is it a shirt with someone is wearing with something on it you don't like? I spend time every day around someone that cannot enjoy movies because the actors in those movies don't share his political beliefs, and just seeing their faces makes him angry.
    Or maybe things are not as trivial. Someone ran me off the road this morning on the parkway as I was heading home from the gym. He/She never slowed, never braked, never looked at me, and ran me off the road. Pissed me off. But within a few minutes I simmered down. I guess lol

And sometimes anger can be useful. I was dating someone who turned out to be despicable. She'd tricked me. Being hurt and angry has actually been a great catalyst to get me to take better care of myself. Now that the anger has faded, I'm still doing my workouts and still eating much better, losing weight, looking and feeling better.