Can't eat calories!!!!

problems reaching calorie goal! Been on here 8 days and only 1 day I reached my "calorie goal" so the other days are not being saved obviously because I'm not eating enough! But I'm not hungry!!! I still each day have 400-600 to consume, and I'm not hungry! Anyone else having this problem?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    You don't need to eat more, you just need to eat more calorie dense food. I bet you're avoiding fats, right? DON'T. They are essential to good health. Add oils to your salads and vegies. Eat avocado, nuts, full fat dairy. Many people when they start out immediately try to choose the lowest calorie options, and it's simply not necessary!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    You didnt have this problem when you gained the weight, whats suddenly changed that you cant eat the basic amount of food to survive?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Actually, you don't say if you are trying to gain or lose weight. Which is it, and what are your stats and calorie goal?
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Her profile says 0 lbs lost 35 to go.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Calorie dense foods can be your best friend when you're trying to eat more. These are foods that pack a lot of calories into just a small amount, so they boost your calories quickly without putting a lot of extra food in your stomach.

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    So if you're trying to lose but not eating enough to make your calorie goal, just think about what you ate before you tried to lose weight. Obviously you were able to eat at a calorie surplus, or you wouldn't have gained in the first place, so whatever you were eating then, just add some of that back in. Eating too few calories can be very detrimental to your health.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Great list of foods up there. Reaching goal isn't hard - I manage to consume nearly 2000 cals a day, no problem. Small portions of almonds, avocado, full fat dairy, coconut & olive oils, butter - all add up quickly, getting you to goal in no time.

If you are going for low or non fat foods, or any typical "diet" foods, ditch those and eat the regular versions in proper portions. Food is fuel - you don't want to over eat, but you don't want to under eat, either. :smile:
  • robindgibson
    robindgibson Posts: 33 Member
    This statement is VERY INACCURATE!!!! It actually made my heart face in sadden. I tore my Achilles and last year for the ENTIRE YEAR I DID NOT WALK! I left the house to only go to dr appointments. So I did not move and I used to be extremely fit body figure muscle/ it's now all depleted and all muscle GONE! My legs butt calf seven are ALLL cottage cheese! I googled 65 year old legs and that's what I SADELY now look like. I did not eat bad, I just could not walk due to my injury and trauma to my body. I have been walking slowly now for 3 months and am just happy to be walking and I do want to take this BED WEIGHT OF 35lbs I PUT ON LAST YEAR BECAUSE OF MY ACHILLIES TEAR I HAD.
    You didnt have this problem when you gained the weight, whats suddenly changed that you cant eat the basic amount of food to survive?

• robindgibson
    Thank you for your input and reply. I tore my ACHILLIES 3x actually last year so the ENTIRE YEAR I DID NOT WALK! So I don't move to even burn calories so ANYTHING I do eat I feel my body stores it. I can't even run if my life depended on it or do a squad or a lunge because my ACHILLIES will tear again. All I hate were easy things at homestead burritos salad or tofu. Then crutch back from the kitchen to bed again. I put 35 lbs OF BED WEIGHT ON! I seriously DONT meet the required callorie goals of what this app says.
    So if you're trying to lose but not eating enough to make your calorie goal, just think about what you ate before you tried to lose weight. Obviously you were able to eat at a calorie surplus, or you wouldn't have gained in the first place, so whatever you were eating then, just add some of that back in. Eating too few calories can be very detrimental to your health.

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    This statement is VERY INACCURATE!!!! It actually made my heart face in sadden. I tore my Achilles and last year for the ENTIRE YEAR I DID NOT WALK! I left the house to only go to dr appointments. So I did not move and I used to be extremely fit body figure muscle/ it's now all depleted and all muscle GONE! My legs butt calf seven are ALLL cottage cheese! I googled 65 year old legs and that's what I SADELY now look like. I did not eat bad, I just could not walk due to my injury and trauma to my body. I have been walking slowly now for 3 months and am just happy to be walking and I do want to take this BED WEIGHT OF 35lbs I PUT ON LAST YEAR BECAUSE OF MY ACHILLIES TEAR I HAD.

It isn't meant to make you feel bad. Everyone here who is trying to lose weight was eating above maintenance calories, we all have stories, and no one wants you to feel ashamed or is trying to make you feel that way.

It is just meant to point out that before you joined MFP or before you started dieting/cutting calories, you were... eating more calories. So think back to that time. What has changed? What did you cut? Put some of it back, and there you go, problem solved, and probably in the best way that will work for you because it is just restoring a bit of how you usually would eat.

Often people cut to low or no fat things, low or no sugar foods. SOME of these cuts can be helpful, but not if it takes you so low that you are now undernourishing your body. So undo some of those cuts. Add oils. Buy 2% milk. Buy cookies again, just don't eat as many as you used to. Or whatever works for YOU.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Bed rest weight sucks. It got me last year when I tore the hell out of my knee after a slip on the ice. On the way into the gym no less. Are you trying to hit any particular macros along the way to your calorie goal, or are you just aiming for a number? I've found that calories are hard to consume when you're eating properly, as I sure the hell didn't have a problem loading up on calories when I was eating a carb and fat dense diet. Now that I'm rooting around for mainly protein which fills me up way longer than those empty carbs, it's difficult to eat because I'm never hungry thanks to the belly full o'protein.

I'm here to gather info from the responses you're getting here. What kind of activities are you *able* to do? Where are you at in your rehab? I'm happy to help if I can, just need more info from you. :)
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member

It is hard being laid up like that. I hope you are feeling better and will make a full recovery. Even a minor injury can set people back so a more serious one can really take its toll. All you can do is try your best. I would add almonds and some of the other suggested foods. It should help.
  • robindgibson
    Thank you for your reply. It is very hard to reach my goal they set at 1430 and I fall extremely short. I will keep what you said in mind. I don't move around much to feel hungry but I still do each 4x a day.
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Great list of foods up there. Reaching goal isn't hard - I manage to consume nearly 2000 cals a day, no problem. Small portions of almonds, avocado, full fat dairy, coconut & olive oils, butter - all add up quickly, getting you to goal in no time.

If you are going for low or non fat foods, or any typical "diet" foods, ditch those and eat the regular versions in proper portions. Food is fuel - you don't want to over eat, but you don't want to under eat, either. :smile:
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »

• BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    "So I don't move to even burn calories so ANYTHING I do eat I feel my body stores it."

this is the mentality of someone with a life threatening eating disorder. your body burns calories on its own by just existing, you do not need to exercise in order to lose weight you put on. if you do not fuel your body you are just going to end up with more and more problems further down the road. you complain about muscle loss from being bedridden? what do you think happens when you continuously deprive your muscles of fuel?
  • robindgibson
    Thank you! For the reply. Almonds are a great idea! I will have to try that to reach this callorie goal that I'm lacking. It has been extremely hard not walking and the recovery of this injury. I don't want to tear again by crazy exercise for instance the eliptical and stair machine was my favorite now just lucky to walk the steps that I can. It's hard to move but I keep trying but still listening to my body's injury taking breaks when needed and still elevating at times throughout the day. I'm just not hungry much.
    nikkib0103 wrote: »

It is hard being laid up like that. I hope you are feeling better and will make a full recovery. Even a minor injury can set people back so a more serious one can really take its toll. All you can do is try your best. I would add almonds and some of the other suggested foods. It should help.

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    With all due respect, you gained weight because you ate too much, not because you were injured.

Sorry. It's calories in/calories out. And starving yourself isn't the way to lose weight. So figure out how to make your calories count.
  • robindgibson
    Pu_239 wrote: »

I was bed ridden for a month from a back injury. I lost 10lbs that month. With all due respect, being bed ridden is no excuse, at least you're doing better with your health.

• robindgibson
    It was a theory
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member

No, you put on weight because you ate at a surplus. You won't gain weight solely from an injury and not exercising, just like you won't necessarily lose weight if you are exercising if you are not eating at a deficit. You gain weight from eating excess calories. If you would have continued to eat at maintenance, even when injured, you would not have gained the weight. Nobody is trying to be rude. That's just the way it is. What probably happened is that you were able to eat more before your injury because you were active, and when you stopped being active, you still at that same amount without compensating for the fact that you were burning fewer calories. The fact still stands though that you were able to eat at a surplus at some point as you gained weight, which is why people are questioning why you can't eat your allowed calories now.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    So from what I've read, I'm guessing the following happened:
    Your injury caused you long term bed rest. This effectively lowered the calories that you needed to maintain whatever weight you were. You continued to eat like the same, but this caused you to gain since bed rest lowered your maintenance level to a point that was lower than you were used to.

So the question you need to ask yourself is what changes did you make to your eating habits when you decided to lose weight? Did you switch to low fat/diet stuff? If so, why not add some of the items you used to eat back in.