Girls That Lift! (Hopefully one day)

Options
Hey everyone, I definitely need to lose some weight that I've put on, but I'm hoping to eventually go into a "girls that lift" kind of scenario. I am totally new to this all but if this sounds like you, or if you're already on your lifting journey and want to lend some advice or encouragement, please let's connect! I'm all about lifting each other up (don't you just love a good pun

Replies

• MichaelBui
    MichaelBui Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Haha good pun. Welcome aboard! Wish you the best on your progress
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    The best time to start lifting is today. Don't wait!
  • ElleRogers
    Options
    So quick question...how come when I add strength training it doesn't add to calories burnt for my tracking? I guess it's kind of messing with my head because I have weight to lose AND I want to be strong....my cardio counts towards calories for the day but not my weights? Haaaaalp!
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I just started the Body Beast program which is all weight lifting. I have a lot of weight to lose to I am planning on combining it with cardio (walking and running).
  • tonihunter945
    tonihunter945 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ElleRogers wrote: »
    So quick question...how come when I add strength training it doesn't add to calories burnt for my tracking? I guess it's kind of messing with my head because I have weight to lose AND I want to be strong....my cardio counts towards calories for the day but not my weights? Haaaaalp!

I would like to know that answer too!
  • ashleyohair
    ashleyohair Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just started the Body Beast program which is all weight lifting. I have a lot of weight to lose to I am planning on combining it with cardio (walking and running).

Do you like it? I am new to lifting and want to find something I can stick with that's easy to follow?
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am getting back into weight lifting after several years of being out. Love it. It is working well to tone my body and my cardio is helping cut thru the fat. I started a boot camp class which does both weights and cardio so I might suggest something like that. If you search MFP under cardio, there is strength training listed. It would at least give you a start on your cals burned. It will not be accurate for everyone of course because of different reps/weight/and different people. But, if you are just looking to see some kind of cals burned, it could help. Good Luck!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

There is no way to really know how many calories your are burning during weight lifting. Even with heavy weights, the burn is actually quite minimal. What I would always do was log my cardio, and use the full MFP estimation (even though it is said to be highly over estimated), but eat back all the calories instead of half or 75% which is suggested. I lost at the appropriate rate.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Don't worry --- you build muscle, you increase your capacity to burn calories! Your metabolism is going to be double charged! LIFT HEAVY! BUILD MUSCLES! If you want an estimation of calories burned, wear a heart rate monitor and compute the calories burned...wear a Fit bit or Apple Watch :)

There are tons of phone apps that lead you through a lifting routine. I love these - they keep me on target!
  • arditarose
    Options
    13suzie wrote: »
    Don't worry --- you build muscle, you increase your capacity to burn calories! Your metabolism is going to be double charged! LIFT HEAVY! BUILD MUSCLES! If you want an estimation of calories burned, wear a heart rate monitor and compute the calories burned...wear a Fit bit or Apple Watch :)

There are tons of phone apps that lead you through a lifting routine. I love these - they keep me on target!

No. You don't really build muscle in a deficit, you lose fat and keep muscle. And a fit bit/heart rate monitor is not accurate for weight training.
  • dominiquehomza
    dominiquehomza Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started squatting with the bar and all for the first time. I'm 22 and 5'2" started at 127 lbs have always gotten heavier in the winter and down to 115 in summers. Tired of yo yo ing. Used to swear by cardio only because I didn't wanna "bulk," however after 3 weeks of squats, arm dumbell exercises and some cardio, im down to 122.5 without much struggle. I shoot for 1200 kcals a day but sometimes go over as im a night shift nurse and sugar keeps me awake haha. But I don't log my weight training. I wish I would have started earlier because I am already loving this body more than a cardio obsessed body!! So stay motivated and get strong and fit!
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

I've been consistently lifting for a couple months now. Check out IIFYM.com if you haven't. It will help you with calories and food. It takes into account activity in your calorie and macro goals, so you don't need to log exercise. If you want to keep track of what you do, there's better apps out there for that. Bodybuilding.com will help you with a gym plan. Lift heavy! You'll get strong and some cardio in!

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    start now not later. If you want to see the calories log it under the cardio section for strength training.

Make sure you are getting in enough protein to help repair the muscle, carbs for energy and fats for absorption and get in enough calories...do not go down that 1200 or lower path please.
  • nakima
    nakima Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    check out freediet it has calculators for all your needs like, Calories,macros,bmi, etc. I love it! Been lifting for years and just got really serious here lately and I love it!
  • ElleRogers
    Options
    Guys thanks so much for all the feedback. This is all a bit overwhelming, honestly didn't even think about much in regards to weights until instagram opened my eyes. Much prefer the weight trained body over the cardio bunny (because I think for my body type it would be better). I am following a 30 day beginners fitness guide to health on bodybuilding.com, and honestly I so look forward to the days with free weights or the machines. I don't loathe cardio but that's mainly because I put EDM music on blast (my workout guilty pleasure). Any suggestions for a routine with weights? Or like big pointers or secrets to share? Are the protein shakes/preworkout/supplements totally necessary?? Life lighter and more reps for a lean build and heavier weight shorter reps for more bulk? Or something like that right? How many days/week are you all lifting? Gahh so many questions!
  • ElleRogers
    Options
    Baaaasically I don't want to have muscle on top of all this squishy fat I have gained. So if I can be like lifting and doing cardio intermittently or whatevs annnnd be melting this fat off that'd be really great.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    When I take a preworkout I definitely find that I perform better (higher weights). As far as lifting, I say do what you enjoy the most. I enjoy high weights low reps personally. Are supplements and protein shakes necessary, no...but I like to take a multivitamin to prevent bad food cravings and I do use protein shakes myself. As long as you get enough protein in each day you don't really need protein shakes. I lift 4 days per week. Back and biceps, chest and triceps, shoulders and abs, and leg day. You should check out bodybuilding.com too for workouts. They have some great programs on there for free. It's a bit confusing at the beginning but really, you don't have to make it complicated. Just go lift some stuff and make sure you have good form. That's a perfect place to start. You may also want to do a personal training session or two at the beginning. You can learn proper form and get comfortable in your gym.

Sorry for the long winded response.
  • RichJO123
    Options
    Start out light, get the soreness out, and then dive in full force. Good luck, lifting is addicting.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Read New Rules of Lifting for Women, and/or Starting Strength. Take a look at both of those programs as well as Stronglifts 5x5.
  • branlovesu
    branlovesu Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Im starting stronglifts 5×5 tomorrow! Ive been doing a lot of research. Its a great "total body" lifting program!