Tell me, what's your secret? *rolls eyes*

Options
since I have lost weight people keep asking me, "Tell me what's your secret?"
There is no secret. I always reply I'm eating less and moving more, it's that simple!

When will people realise that there is no magic formula to weight loss?

The other effect this is having is that I'm starting to get comfortable because of being complimented on weight loss so far. I don't want to fall off the wagon so need to stay motivated. Add me on here, (if you want), for accountabilities sake please!!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I look them in the eyes and explain that it's actually a bit faddy...amazing how their ears prick up

Then I say I eat less and move more and you should see them deflate like a child's helium balloon at the end of a party

• NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Same exact thing!! "How do you lose weight??" "What do I do??" I also reply "eat less, move more." They usually gape at me incredulously.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Them: You look great, how did you do it?
    Me: Counting calories.
    Them: *eyes glaze over before I finish my sentence.
    Every. Dang. Time.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I tell them a drink a combination of toilet duck, lemon, cinnamon and almond milk every morning. Because lets face it, it's the sort of thing they want to hear.
  • boredfatman
    boredfatman Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I tell them a drink a combination of toilet duck, lemon, cinnamon and almond milk every morning. Because lets face it, it's the sort of thing they want to hear.

Love that! Might include Cillit Bang in that too...
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Look at you being all atruistic
  • pixieloses
    Options
    Lick fingers of an indigenous person
  • WishesOnTheStar
    WishesOnTheStar Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    People always ask my wife, what's her secret. It's actually quite simple, every day maintaining a clean diet, getting plenty of exercise, and eating diet pills.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    People always ask my wife, what's her secret. It's actually quite simple, every day maintaining a clean diet, getting plenty of exercise, and eating diet pills.

:astonished:
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am getting asked the same questions at work. Most don't like my answers. I say I am logging everything I eat and I don't go above the calories I am allotted. I also try to get in some physical exercise( though I'm working on getting more). People are looking for that magical secret and I try to tell them there isn't one. I'm not one who brags about weight loss or pushes eating a certain way etc. actually, I don't bring my weight loss to anyone. They noticed and most wanted the "secret".. I am at the beginning of this and already hate the negativity of people who are suppose to be friends of mine. One of the reasons I Love MFP! No negativity, lots of support, great positive people. I have even gotten, "here comes skinny Minnie" with a sarcastic tone. People can be evil. But I won't let them get in the way of my weight loss journey. I have no room for negative people.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I get asked it all the time. Sometimes they will ask my sister instead of asking me. I've tried it all… from the most extreme (witchcraft, selling my soul to the devil, drug abuse) to the smallest possible realistic change they could make (drink more water)… I always get the same response. "I don't want to hear that!"

I've even used surgery and misc. fad diets. What do they expect me to say… that I just magically woke up one morning 150 pounds lighter for some inexplicable reason?
  • WishesOnTheStar
    WishesOnTheStar Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • abk1968
    abk1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    lol I lost 14 pounds at the start of the year due to a flare up of Crohns disease and I got the "whats your secret question" when told the I had crohns they unbelievable say they wished they had it too !!!! guess they really dont know what it involves :)

If I could give it away would in a heart beat
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My doctor doesn't even believe me. :(

I changed GP's because my old one moved clinics, and when we were discussing my history and I explained the weight I've lost, I told her that it was 'I eat less by counting calories, move more'. She then asked "So are you doing? Low carb, paleo, keto?". She looked at me like I was crazy when I said I eat ice cream almost daily....
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Them: You look great, how did you do it?
    Me: Counting calories.
    Them: *eyes glaze over before I finish my sentence.
    Every. Dang. Time.

It's a two word sentence, how do their eyes glaze over before you're done :laugh:

Counting calories does sound awfully boring. Geez can't they just do something else??
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    abk1968 wrote: »
    lol I lost 14 pounds at the start of the year due to a flare up of Crohns disease and I got the "whats your secret question" when told the I had crohns they unbelievable say they wished they had it too !!!! guess they really dont know what it involves :)

My dad had Chron's, I kinda want to swat someone for you!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    abk1968 wrote: »

I have heard of people saying this about cancer too, what is wrong with people.

Cancer or chrons vs having to count calories.....I am leaning towards the calorie counting here....
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think people don't want to believe it's that simple because if it is really that simple then there is no excuse for them not doing it. People don't believe me when I tell them that it is as simple as a free app and a $15 food scale, they want to believe it's magic or I have superpowers that they don't possess and that's why I'm losing weight and they aren't. Honestly, I'm still a little pissed I never got a letter to Hogwarts so if people want to think I'm magic they can go right ahead. :D
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I'm always asked how I stay so thin. I think the askers are hoping for the "I have a magic metabolism answer" when in fact they get "I count calories and exercise 5 days a week." They didn't want to hear that it takes work.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Everyone is looking for that elusive magic pill that allows them to live an unhealthy life without consequences. It doesn't exist.

However, for a limited time I can provide you with a magic elixir that will make the fat melt off. It was $50 but for the next 30 minutes it is reduced to only $19.95! If you call right now, I will double your order for free if you pay additional handling and shipping.
    :)