Protein Powder, yes or no?

abb117
abb117 Posts: 81 Member
The title says it all. I am debating buying protein powder because I would rather have that then protein bars and just make my own protein shakes or protein balls. I am currently looking to get toned. I have heard a lot of negative and positive things, so what are your thoughts?

Replies

• tnen208
    tnen208 Posts: 1
    You have to include protein powder in your diet, there's no way around it unless you're insanely disciplined with food in which case you probably wouldn't be on MFP. Plain and simple it's a staple if you're serious about eating healthy. Powder is 10x better than 99% off bars out there because the highly rated ones have next to nothing for sugar and lots of BCAAs.
  • aliali786
    aliali786 Posts: 14 Member
    Yes I would add it to your diet, especially if you're not getting enough through your diet like me. I definitely noticed a difference in body composition when I introduced protein to my diet. I would personally choose a tried and tested quality protein.

Gluck
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Here's my issue, I'd rather have a steak. I made roast beef today. Had 3.8 ounces of it, cut the rest into chunks that I'll work through for a few days. That 3.8 ounces had 29 grams of protein. I had a whole egg and two egg whites for another 14 grams. I'm trying to hit around 100 grams of protein, so a 12 ounce serving of roast beef spread throughout the day would've done the trick.

I don't think it's a bad idea to have whey protein onhand for when you're behind on protein, you just didn't go grocery shopping, you just don't feel like cooking and so on. I just got grossed out by it really fast trying to use it as a staple in my diet. Don't mind it occasionally though.

Shrimp is low in calories, and loaded with protein too. Chicken is awesome. You can have a whole mug full of eggbeaters. Greek yogurt can be mixed with any fruit you want and double as protein source and dessert. Sometimes I mix it with cocoa and honey and have 'chocolate dinner'.

I guess all I'm saying is that there are a whole bunch of protein options out there. You don't HAVE to use protein powder, but it can be a useful aid at times.
  • Been doing a bit of research because I'm in the same boat as you, I'm looking to trim but not lose my muscle mass. Hit up a protein powder with minimal carbs to tone, use a carb protein powder to bulk. My issue is that trying to maximise my protein intake makes for insanely boring food (plain chicken breast and spinach leaves...) whereas with a supplement I can have a bit more freedom.
  • abb117
    Thanks for all of the input. This was definitely helpful. And I still plan on doing research. I read somewhere that it can harm kidneys, so that part kind of scared me
  • Surfdancer777
    Surfdancer777 Posts: 6 Member
    Since our bodies are so unique and not all protein is similarly bioavailable, it's best to experiment and see which works best for your body.

Soy protein is not very bioavailable, but it's cheap, so you'll see it in everything- including many protein bars and shakes. Isolated soy protein is highly processed and undergoes high heat which decreases bioavailability. There are controversial studies on soy's relationship with cancer risk. Some say it can lead to increased risk, a few say it has a protective factor.
    If there's any doubt, no thank you-I'll go without!

Pea protein upsets my GI system, (wanted to try this product because of sustainability issues, but no go). Brown rice protein- arsenic concentrations are much higher and not all people do well with grains.

A good choice for some is organic, grass-fed, cold-filtered whey protein isolate. It's bioavailability is high and is delicious in all kinds of green smoothies. It's hard to eat as many veggies in one sitting that I can put into a green smoothie and enjoy for breakfast. Absorption and bioavailability is higher due to texture and consistency. If you get an extractor, it will break down the individual cell walls in the veggies and fruits, releasing more antioxidants that may not get absorbed when chewing food. Yes, it's great to chew, but I like not having to chew at every meal! :smiley: Veggies help in the digestion process of protein and fat.

• tamig2107
    tamig2107 Posts: 2 Member
    I say do it. I use lean1 which is also a meal replacement. They are delicious. And I have to say as a diabetic my sugar levels are now under control. Protein powder is a great idea.
  • jamesmorin59
    jamesmorin59 Posts: 37 Member
    Been doing a bit of research because I'm in the same boat as you, I'm looking to trim but not lose my muscle mass. Hit up a protein powder with minimal carbs to tone, use a carb protein powder to bulk. My issue is that trying to maximise my protein intake makes for insanely boring food (plain chicken breast and spinach leaves...) whereas with a supplement I can have a bit more freedom.

Or maybe look up some healthy recipes to have nice tasty marinated chicken, takes pre planning and I'm sure herbs and spices can't be too detrimental,
    However I always do like to have protein powder around. I just haven't found one protein powder I can enjoy in any way
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    What on earth have you heard about protein that's negative?
  • tonihunter945
    tonihunter945 Posts: 62 Member
    Protein shakes are an excellent idea if your not getting enough protein in your diet but some of those shakes taste like chalk. Anyone know a good one that doesn't taste like chalk?
  • abb117

I haven't heard anything negative about protein; I have heard negative things about protein powder. I read somewhere that it can cause damage to the kidneys
  • abb117
    I tried some protein powders as samples, and they were delicious! And I have read some recipes for homemade protein balls rather than buying protein bars that are processed in the store. I just wanted to see if there were any affects to my health in the future
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    I vote: Do it. There are very few other sources of protein that provide as much bang for the buck. That is grams of protein at low calories. Egg whites and shrimp (without sauce) are a few of the sources I've found that get close. Have you ever compared protein bar calories vs a protein shake? Thanks but no thanks.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    I mix a scoop of Jarrow protein powder into about 8 ounces of almond milk after a heavy lifting session and I find it helps with aches and muscle cramping later.
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    I do. I actually use perfect fit protein and low calorie almond milk lots of ice. I then freeze it and eat it like ice cream almost every night. Its only 130 cals for a huge cup
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    abb117 wrote: »

I haven't heard anything negative about protein; I have heard negative things about protein powder. I read somewhere that it can cause damage to the kidneys

Only if you're already in renal failure. Normal functioning kidneys handle it just fine.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    All the protein powder in the world won't make you "toned". Resistance training and caloric deficit will get you there, along with adequate protein intake. If you can hit your protein goals from whole foods, there is no need for protein powder.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    All the protein powder in the world won't make you "toned". Resistance training and caloric deficit will get you there, along with adequate protein intake. If you can hit your protein goals from whole foods, there is no need for protein powder.

This.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    You need resistance training as above. I get my protein levels through food quite easily, but soemtimes supplement if im running low for some reason. Just a backup for me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Depends...Do you hit your protein goals with food? If yes...then no, you don't need protein powder. If no...yes, get some protein powder.

Nothing magical about the powder itself.