Anxiety at the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• makemethin05
    makemethin05 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have logged on and seen all of your lovely, helpful replies and it's really overwhelming! Thank you! (It sounds nerdy, but I'm going to print out all of your replies and make myself do it)..

I nearly had a panic attack going to my boyfriends families house today for dinner, but, I went and I did it. (We've been together 5 years, so it's no new thing to me) I'll have to try putting that energy and strength into asking for help at the gym.

Thank you all so much! Any of you please feel free to add me, your encouraging words mean a lot & hopefully I can do the same for you ☺️
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I promise you that you're not in a situation where everyone else knows everything, and you're the only one who has questions. Even people who have been going to the gym for years have questions or need help, and there is always something new to learn. That's part of the fun. You could be a veteran gym-goer, and you'll still see people doing new and exciting things you've never seen.

Plus, the people who own the gym want you to succeed and be safe. People who are enthusiastic about the gym like to share that enthusiasm with new people (see: this entire site), and if you own a family-run gym, you're REALLY into fitness! You won't be bothering them by asking questions -- it would be worse for you to drop your membership because you weren't comfortable, or for you to get hurt.
  • RaganW
    RaganW Posts: 36
    Options
    I was the same way and I too have anxiety problems . Once you do learn the machines you will feel like a boss and be teaching others . Don't be scared because the people that don't know you want you to succeed .
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    I promise that what is going on in your head about what people will think...is not what they are going to think. I have never had someone be mean or rude to me in a gym and i've been going to them for a lifetime. If you go to the gym often enough one day, very soon it will feel like home. I promise
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds as though you might be quite self-critical. If you're worried others will look at you badly for doing something wrong that's also something in your own thinking, telling you that somehow you should just know what to do at the gym without getting some guidance. If so, try to let go of your criticism and be forgiving of not being super-human! Its not reasonable to expect to know what you're doing without induction and being hard on yourself for not knowing isn't kind or gentle to yourself.

Really, unless someone is so fixated on their own ego-trip (to bolster their own shaky self-esteem, so they have their own problems they aren't facing) they'd want to help you. It will make them feel good about themselves and will make things easier for you, too. Everyone wins.
  • Bugdude54
    Bugdude54 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Firstly try to get over the "they're watching me" phobia. Its hard but you can do it. You have to realize that some of them have been in the gym for years and they've earned their physiques and like anything in time with practice you'll look just like them to a newcomber.

If you're uncertain ask. The one stupid question is the one you didn't ask. You can really hurt yourself if you do some exercises improperly over and over.

Too nervous to ask? Then just watch someone on the machine you want to use. Look at their form, see how they do the movement. Of course the easiest thing would be to just get a personal trainer for the day and have them show you how to use what you want to do.

Remember. Everyone was new at one point. Practice makes perfect.

• ashleystidham
    ashleystidham Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I definitely know that dealing with these types of things can be extremely frustrating. First rule of thumb: don't care what anyone else thinks besides yourself! And you should be patting yourself on the back for making it to the gym in the first place! Everyone is there for the same reason and you should never feel awkward or afraid to try something new, even if you mess up just flip your hair and walk away as fabulous as ever! I've dealt with both depression and anxiety issues so I know how tough it can be to worry about what others think but I promise the only opinion that matters at the end of the day is your own and you can get past it! Much love!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    How about watching people on these machines or with weights and then doing it after them. I never asked anyone how to use a machine or use free weights. I just watched people and later tried it myself.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You could re-frame the question - say to the staff that you've been doing the same thing for the past 8 weeks and now you want to shake things up and change your routine a bit, so could they show you some new things? (I assume that you've been using the machines and doing the exercises that you ARE comfortable with for the past couple of months).

Would that feel a bit easier? It's recommended that people regularly change things in their routine anyway, so the staff should be more than willing to help you progress.

There are a lot of good tips in this thread, but this stuck out to me as what would probably help ME most. For me, I find that knowing the social script is really helpful with my anxiety.

Social scripts are scripts we all know. Like, you walk into a restaurant, you stop at the "wait to be seated" sign. A staff member will come up, smile, and take a guess at your "table for" number. You respond with "yes" or correct them. They say "table or booth?" or "bar or dining room" or "patio or indoors" or "there's a 5-minute waiting list, is that okay? Yes? Can I get your name?" etc.

Sometimes when I have to push through my anxiety about something, it comes down to the script. So I will run through it alone a bit, or ask my partner to help me. Sometimes just running through it once out loud helps. Other times, I'll write it down (like if I'm doing a longer or more complicated phone thing). It's also great if you have any specific worries, like "what if the person says ________?" then you can say "well then I would say _____".

You can also run through the script backwards. If you were the gym employee, what would your job be like? What were you trained to do? What sorts of interactions do you have with patrons all day, every day? If a nice person walked up to you and told you that she has recently become interested in strength training, and would like to be shown how to use the equipment you offer safely, how would you respond and what would you be thinking?

Decide how you'd like to approach a staff member or get their attention. And when, and where. Right when you walk in, at the front desk? Try to flag a staff member walking around? Decide what you'll say, how you'll frame the question. I like the suggestion above. Like, "I've been doing cardio for a couple of months now. But I'm interested in starting strength training, and concerned about making sure I am doing it safely." Or maybe you'd feel more comfortable striking up a conversation about other things first, or starting the odd polite exchange with staff and then broaching the real question once you sort of "know" them. Once you're in the interaction, the staff member will take the lead and you can follow, socially, if that makes sense. (They are guiding you now, you are no longer approaching it cold.)

Other things:
    - think about how awesome it will feel once this thing you've been avoiding gets done and isn't hanging over you anymore
    - push yourself but not over a cliff. It will definitely be uncomfortable, and so you will need to push to do it. But that doesn't mean you have to be heartless about it. Walk a line between allowing yourself to get out of an uncomfortable situation when you should be pushing through, and pushing yourself farther than you can healthily go today.
    - I find I have a bit of a limit as to how many things I can juggle well at once, and that limit is severely smaller than "normal" (what our society seems to tell us / what I perceive from looking at others from the outside). I do best when I respect those limits and do not try to "be more like others" or listen to my inner overachiever. If I want to do a new big scary thing, I might have to shuffle my priorities so that something less important gets put off. Or maybe plan to do it next week if this week already has extra scary things happening. Or I might have to get something else in line first, like if I've been slipping in self-care, I might need to raise that up in preparation (and should anyway).
    - if you have access to any form of therapy, this would be a great thing to talk about there, as would strategies surrounding panic (if you have not already or could still use assistance)

(I have GAD and am prone to depression, by the way. Everyone's anxiety is different, but maybe something in my experiences will be helpful. Sorry for the essay!)

And I think it's awesome that you get yourself there and work out! That's basically 95% of the battle imo.
  • Oshun64
    Oshun64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Futuremanda - Just want to commend you for such a thoughtful and practical response to assist those dealing with social anxiety. This is truly what support looks like :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, people I actually know I don't even tell this to, so this forum is actually a great relief!
    I have been going to the gym for about two months..
    There are lots of machines I haven't attempted to use because I've no idea how to use them.. Two months down the line I don't want to ask and I have huge anxiety problems, I convince myself that everyone there will look at me and think 'she's doing that wrong'

Everyone starts somewhere no one walks into a gym knowing how to use everything.

*kitten* negative people

There are more *kitten* at the mall then there are at the gym

Ask someone for help? seriously I'll help anyone any day any time any age ... doesn't matter. I'm still learning myself but I'd be more than happy to show someone how to use a machine.

This!

At my gym, the staff are super awesome. Me asking a trainer for help (my first year) turned into a 3 year friendship.

You could also approach someone who is finished with a machine and ask them how to use it.

I'm actually a volunteer at my gym, and I know how it feels to be the confused noob. I try to watch for people who look confused, and approach them and ask if they have a question.

• doctorwho2x
    doctorwho2x Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues as you. I felt as though everyone was looking at me at the gym and I was scared that I couldn't use the equipment properly and people would judge me.

This is not the case. I've recently bit the bullet and went to the gym. Most people there want the exact same thing as each other - To either loose weight, get fit or get some muscles!

To help me with this when I joined the Gym I used the in house P.T to educate me on different equipment and how to use weights/which exercises to do and I found this has helped me alot.

Good luck!!
  • makemethin05
    makemethin05 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow. You lot are amazing aren't you! You have made me feel 10000000000x better! Thank you ALL so much.

I am going to put all of your ideas and suggestions into practice tomorrow at the gym (it's nice and quiet on Saturdays) so I will let you know how I get on☺️

I have definitely thought about watching other people use machines, but in such a small (tiny even) gym it's hard to be subtle and I always think I wouldn't want someone looking at me if I were them.. I need a switch for my brain sometimes, I am prone to overthink everything and my anxiety just affects every single aspect of my lfe unfortunately.

I couldn't be happier that I posted this, how have I not known about this great community before?!

Xxxxxxxxx
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    OP no one at the gym cares so much to stop there workout to stare at you while you workout.

People need to stop saying this. Most of us have read massive threads that prove this is a lie. Pretty much everyone knows it is a lie. You either have to work up to the point where you do not care that someone will be thinking nasty things, or you workout in your house. Human nature is to be judgmental; no matter any protestations to the contrary we all know this to be true if we're honest with ourselves. Everybody does it, only some will admit it, and only some will have the good grace to keep their judgments to themselves (which is fine).

I haven't read all the replies yet, but if it hasn't been said you can always look the exercises up on YouTube. I've looked up a lot of proper form videos there and found them very helpful.