Protein Shakes? If so, which one?

Options
2»

Replies

• JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of protein powders and I personally like Muscle Milk. It is one of the few that dissolves completely - even in water. Tastes good - I'm picky and I want it to taste good. Is affordable (GNC has it on sale a lot). There's another brand (Fusion or something) that I like too, but MM is by far my favorite.

This is also one of the worst rated protein shakes you can buy. People have to understand how fat effects muscle gain & protein intake. When you combined protein with fat it actually hinders protein intake and muscle growth.
  • stariera
    stariera Posts: 224
    Options
    I am currently using EAS 100 % Whey Protein shake, I like the vanilla one... and it can easily be mixed in one of the shaker cups... I add just a little extra water to it and find that it's not gritty at all and doesn't lose the flavor. 23 g of protein per scoop. I wouldn't recommend the chocolate flavor however I was seriously disappointed in the flavor of it.
  • ttfit2
    ttfit2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My go to is Shakeology (http://myshakeology.com/ttfit2). It is more than just a protein shake. It has protein, anti-oxidants, digestive enzymes, prebiotices, adaptogens and amino acids. It also has 5 servings of fruits and vegetables in it. It has helped my overall health and helped me lose 3.5 inches below the belly button, the pooch. You can tell the difference from my pics on facebook (http://facebook.com/ttfit2)
  • skitchlu
    skitchlu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Check out the isagenix products (www.isaproducts.com). Their products are all natural, solid nutrition and really, really tasty. I know lots of people who have tried them and love them!
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I work at a gym and according to the body builders and the nutritionist, Isobolic whey protein is best. It blends really nicely as long as you put it in a dry bottle when you pack it. I personally think the chocolate tastes better with cinnamon in it. If your diabetic or worried about your blood sugar, the cinnamon can really help.

Here is the link:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mrm/iso.html

The Most Important thing about using protein is to stay under your calorie limit or it will help you gain weight rather than just help you build muscle.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of protein powders and I personally like Muscle Milk. It is one of the few that dissolves completely - even in water. Tastes good - I'm picky and I want it to taste good. Is affordable (GNC has it on sale a lot). There's another brand (Fusion or something) that I like too, but MM is by far my favorite.

This is also one of the worst rated protein shakes you can buy. People have to understand how fat effects muscle gain & protein intake. When you combined protein with fat it actually hinders protein intake and muscle growth.

Muscle Milk is probably one of the highest calorie proteins out there. It is used for fatten people up, not for losing weight.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Not that I mind responding to questions--everyone here is very good about that. BUT, this topic has been addressed at least 6 times in other thread. Try searching before you post. :-)

I previously posted my (excellent) recipe for a smoothie here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/237975-protein-shakes-if-so-which-one

and here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/165212-filling-breakfast-ideas-need-em

Enjoy!
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My super-secret recipe:

1.5 cups Silk Regular Soy Milk
    1 cup frozen strawberries
    1 cup frozen blueberries (the berries are eyeballed, and the ratio can change)
    1/2 banana
    1 TBSP natural peanut butter
    2 scoops Nature's Life Soy Protein - Super-Green Pro-96

BLEND!

This breakfast has 641 calories, 68 grams of protein, no added sugar, low glycemic index/load. It is delicious, nutritious and most importantly, it keeps me satisfied all morning -- even till a late (2 PM) lunch. No sugar crashes.

This statement of low glycemic index is very wrong the sugar content in your fruits alone is insane. I used to make a shake just like it and cut out dam near all my fruit.

Except for the banana, you are mistaken. The entire recipe is only 38 grams of sugar (the protein powder has no added sugar). Strawberries and blueberries are very low in glycemic load (and calories). Plus when balanced with the high protein (68 grams), I do not experience any sugar crash. And I have been eating this smoothie recipe daily for over a year. Plus, I have hit my weight loss goal, so I am doing something right. For a great explanation of glycemic load and glycemic index, including the bit about berries, check out Patrick Holford (author of The Low-GL Diet).

Try it. It works for me. It is especially good after a workout.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    ON=Optimum Nutrition

I use ON 100% Natural Gold Standard Whey in Chocolate. I think this is by far the best tasting an keeps the sugar and sodium content down.

This is the kind I use as well... but in Chocolate Malt. Super good!! I haven't read the entire thread yet, but would love to hear of some protein smoothie recipes. Can be with any flavor powder... don't mind picking up some other flavors to give me options lol.