Protein Bars

Options
Hi, can anyone tell me are Protein bars good as a meal replacement snack (if you stick to your calorie goal) or would they be considered more of a snack you should have every once in a while. I have heard people saying they are similar to mass gainer, make you gain weight, is this true ?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Protein bars (or shakes) are designed as a protein supplement - helpful if you aren't meeting your protein goal from your regular food. They are not designed as a meal replacement as they are not balanced in terms of nutrition.

Your calorie balance determines if you lose, gain or maintain your weight not eating a protein supplement.
  • nryan2010
    Options
    Thank you, very helpful :)
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I like Kind bars. But I do not think they are protein bars
  • indieblue
    indieblue Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cliff bars are good they have 230 calories total but they do have vitamins and minerals, etc but I usually eat one with my protein shake and an egg with bacon before I work out and one afterwards
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I do shakes, but try and eat most of my nutrients. Those bars are loaded with added sugars and processed. It's so easy to make things homemade that would have less calories and be better for you
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love them, but so many are high in sugar. I try to keep my sugar intake in balance w/my food intake so I work in these types of bars where I can and on heavy training days (if I think I need one). Sometimes I take a few on trips for convenience and just watch the intake. Some bars have a lot of protein and some don't (even though they claim to be a protein bar). So if you're in it for the actual protein grams....be aware of that. Also, some have a lot of fiber - there is one brand I know of that I tried not too long ago and didn't realize (didn't pay attention) that it had 20 grams of fiber in one small bar). Yeah, that is a rude awakening if you didn't pay attention.

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Protein bars (or shakes) are designed as a protein supplement - helpful if you aren't meeting your protein goal from your regular food. They are not designed as a meal replacement as they are not balanced in terms of nutrition.

Your calorie balance determines if you lose, gain or maintain your weight not eating a protein supplement.

This.

When deciding your meals and/or snacks you should look at your entire days nutrition. Make sure your macros are lining up and you aren't going way over or under in certain things. Snacks high in protein or fiber tend to keep you feeling fuller longer, but you may need a carb filled snack if you are going to be exercising soon. Trial and error will help you learn what to grab and when.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    when buying protein bars, I look for high protein counts -- 12+ grams. I try to balance out the number of calories with my meals for that day.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nryan2010 wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone tell me are Protein bars good as a meal replacement snack (if you stick to your calorie goal) or would they be considered more of a snack you should have every once in a while. I have heard people saying they are similar to mass gainer, make you gain weight, is this true ?

I drink a Protien shake or eat a Quest Protein bar everyday. Some days I have both and have not gained any weight. As long as your calorie intake is in check you shouldn't have a problem with weight gain.
  • tshuk00
    tshuk00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you want a meal replacement bar but not necessarily protein, try Lara Bars. They're not too bad for you. If you want extra protein they have their Alt bars, which have about 10g of protein in each bar.

You CAN use protein bars as a meal/snack replacement as long as you're fitting them into your overall daily intake appropriately. Just pay attention to what is in the bars you are selecting.
  • suzikay12
    suzikay12 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Protein brand bars(sold at Wal-Mart and Target). Most flavors have 19g-21g of protein and only 2g-3g of sugar for around 200 calories. I use them as a mid-afternoon snack. As far as using them as meal replacement, like others have said, that depends on your meal plan and calorie goals.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The most amazing bars are Quest bars! Most flavors are about 180 calories, so they can be a snack depending on how you distribute your calories the rest of the day! I also use them for breakfasts or lunches on the go. They are super high protein, 23 grams on average, and only 3 g net carbs and 3 g sugar!
  • sk1nnyb1tchm0dee
    Options
    Quest bars cookies and cream are low carbs and good protien and are only 180 calories.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like the Pure Protein bars for their price. They taste pretty good. (If I eat them very often they mess with my digestive tract...)

I just got an order of Julian Bakery Protein Bars - They are pricy but I wanted to try them because they don't have any sugar alcohols in them. They taste great but I doubt I will buy them regularly (about $3.00 a piece).

I like to keep protein bars on hand mostly for convenience. If I don't have time to cook or shop I can grab one quick and stave off giving in to temptation to pick up fast food.
  • physioprof
    physioprof Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like Quest, Zone, and Balance bars. They all fall within recommendations for carbohydrates, proteins and fats. They're palatable for the most part. Sometimes I'll have a Clif or Luna bar which are a little higher in carbohydrates. They're convenvient on the go.