Was I really sugar free?

Options
midpath
midpath Posts: 246 Member
Today my log says I ate 22g sugar. The sugar came from mushrooms, green beans, carrots, cottage cheese, and two grams came from a protein bar but it was xylitol or something like that. I'm trying to go sugar free so did I actually succeed today? Fruit is different than regular sugar right? Btw I'm not low carbing it.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You're not sugar free.
    But you limited ADDED sugars.
    I limit added sugars as well. I find it easier to follow my diet plan when I do.
  • midpath
    Options
    Does cottage cheese count as added sugars? I've been confused how dairy works with this. Is it possible to never eat any sugar? It's in like every vegetable.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, it is not possible to NEVER eat any sugar. But I do limit it, myself, due to a medical condition. Green veggies have less (for the most part), root vegetables tend to have more. Fruit has a ton.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there is generally no reason to worry that much about sugars. Even if you have a condition like diabetes, it's more about your carb balance than anything else. Just make sure you are eating lots of healthy, nutritious foods and keep the treats to reasonable portions. For me it's usually a couple times a week.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You had zero added sugar. Sugars in plain dairy, fruit and vegetables are never considered added sugar....the exception is if you buy flavored yogurt (peach, vanilla, honey, etc.), those do have added sugar. Xylitol is not actually a sugar. It is a sugar alcohol and does have carbs and calories, though less than sugar does.

When you read about recommendations on limiting sugar, they are usually referring specifically to added sugar.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sugar hell as I go way over everyday. I don't add sugar to anything. All mine comes from fruit, yogurt, milk and veggies
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there is generally no reason to worry that much about sugars. Even if you have a condition like diabetes, it's more about your carb balance than anything else. Just make sure you are eating lots of healthy, nutritious foods and keep the treats to reasonable portions. For me it's usually a couple times a week.

This. And reasonable portions will vary from person to person based on medical conditions and caloric expenditure needs. I can easily fit treats in daily but my maintenance is about 2400 calories and I do not have any metabolic conditions that require limiting carbs. Doesn't mean, however, that my treats are like 400 calories every day.
  • midpath
    Options
    I know that it's not necessary for me to take out added sugars but it's just not going to work unless I do. I don't understand how to moderate sugar. Its like I get on auto pilot scooping sugar from the canister into my mouth and a simple piece of bread or pasta can trigger it. I have tried and I simply can't do it. A bowl of cornflakes can send me into a deep sleep and when I wake up all I want is sugar. I can moderate everything else though. Idk this is the only option I've thought of to keep myself in my calorie range. Which is 1800 a day.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    midpath wrote: »
    I know that it's not necessary for me to take out added sugars but it's just not going to work unless I do. I don't understand how to moderate sugar. Its like I get on auto pilot scooping sugar from the canister into my mouth and a simple piece of bread or pasta can trigger it. I have tried and I simply can't do it. A bowl of cornflakes can send me into a deep sleep and when I wake up all I want is sugar. I can moderate everything else though. Idk this is the only option I've thought of to keep myself in my calorie range. Which is 1800 a day.

You can, trust me, sugar does not control you. However, it may take time to figure out how to make it work for you. There is nothing inherently bad about not including added sugars in your diet, so if that works for you, go for it. Unfortunately, for a lot of people that just reinforces the idea that they can't control themselves with sugar and it can increase their difficulty with sugar in the long run.

I would suggest a few things:
    1) Relax a little bit. The main thing right now is to keep tracking. Every day that you do that you are making progress.
    2) You can take a break from added sugars, but after a couple of weeks consider purposefully having them in small quantities (e.g. having a piece of chocolate). This will allow you to see that you really can have them and reduce your fear of them.
    3) The more you get some healthy fat, protein, and fiber (veggies, chia seeds, fruit) at each meal, and get regular exercise, you are setting yourself up physiologically to reduce sugar cravings.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    It was necessary for me to eliminate added sugar completely. I tried eating it in moderation MANY times. But that just triggered ridiculous cravings and eventually binges. Sugar or bread were the trigger every single time. I could eat almonds, cheese, meat, and everything else in moderation...the added sugars were the problem. I believe some people are just more sensitive to added sugar than others.

I went from obese to a healthy weight, and cutting sugar was a big part of that. And now I never get sugar cravings and can't even remember the last time I binged. You are doing the right thing for you. It gets easier very quickly, and soon eating that way will just be habit and effortless.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Have you seen a doctor about this? What you're experiencing could be behavioral, or you might have some kind of medical issue going on - the being tired after eating corn flakes made me wonder if perhaps your body isn't processing sugar properly. If you haven't been to a doctor and gotten checked out, it might be worth a trip.
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, no, I don't believe it's possible to healthfully eat 0 sugar. Because as you see, sugar exists in produce and dairy and basically a lot of natural and healthy sources.

It is possible to eliminate refined sugar (processed) and that's what you did! Good work!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I know that it's not necessary for me to take out added sugars but it's just not going to work unless I do. I don't understand how to moderate sugar. Its like I get on auto pilot scooping sugar from the canister into my mouth.

You need help with that, it's way beyond normal behaviour.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

So if what you are eating (like dairy, fruit, and veggies or protein bars) doesn't have that particular effect on you, don't worry about it. Think in terms of limiting or avoiding FOODS that are triggers for you. Don't get wrapped up in the sugar thing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You can, trust me, sugar does not control you. However, it may take time to figure out how to make it work for you. There is nothing inherently bad about not including added sugars in your diet, so if that works for you, go for it. Unfortunately, for a lot of people that just reinforces the idea that they can't control themselves with sugar and it can increase their difficulty with sugar in the long run.

I would suggest a few things:
    1) Relax a little bit. The main thing right now is to keep tracking. Every day that you do that you are making progress.
    2) You can take a break from added sugars, but after a couple of weeks consider purposefully having them in small quantities (e.g. having a piece of chocolate). This will allow you to see that you really can have them and reduce your fear of them.
    3) The more you get some healthy fat, protein, and fiber (veggies, chia seeds, fruit) at each meal, and get regular exercise, you are setting yourself up physiologically to reduce sugar cravings.

Pay attention to this, also. She knows what she's talking about.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Not sure why you feel the need to lie to everyone, as your meal today demonstrated you can moderate sugars. Fruit, vegetables, cheese all have sugars and you ate them in moderation.

If anyone else would like to point out exactly how added sucrose for example is different from naturally occurring sucrose, i'd love to hear to hear it
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Op do you honestly eat sugar straight out of the jar, by the spoonful?
  • midpath
    Options
    Yes I have done that before lol. And after I ate that last protein bar I realized the last ingredient on the list was sucralose. Believe me I was a little upset at myself for not seeing it but at least it was like 1g and it was bedtime. I didn't see it there before I ate it. But I mean I can't explain it Acg67 an I think it's very rude to accuse me of lying. I can't explain why I can eat a piece of cheese and be normal about it while an Oreo turns me into a crazy person. But that doesn't mean I'm lying.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yes I have done that before lol. And after I ate that last protein bar I realized the last ingredient on the list was sucralose. Believe me I was a little upset at myself for not seeing it but at least it was like 1g and it was bedtime. I didn't see it there before I ate it. But I mean I can't explain it Acg67 an I think it's very rude to accuse me of lying. I can't explain why I can eat a piece of cheese and be normal about it while an Oreo turns me into a crazy person. But that doesn't mean I'm lying.

So ignorant then? Since you directly contradicted this by saying you ate lactose (sugar!) vegetables (sugar!) in moderation.

"I don't understand how to moderate sugar. Its like I get on auto pilot scooping sugar from the canister into my mouth and a simple piece of bread or pasta can trigger it. I have tried and I simply can't do it."
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I think you must have problems with added sugar and dessert-type sweet things. The sugars in vegetables (and even fruits) may be fine for you. I wouldn't try to be "sugar free," but instead would moderate your added sugar (as others have said). I also agree that figuring out what your trigger foods are and staying away from those might be a good step to take. You may be able to do this simply by going through your diary or remembering about your latest or worst binges.