Ladies. How long does it take you to burn 200 calories?

Options
In 20 mins I burn 200 calories, and that's me sweating my *kitten* off.
I can't take how long it takes and me putting in so much effort.

If I add those waist belts while I do cadio, will that help burn calories faster?

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    First, why do you want to loose that many calories that fast? How did you calculate that it took you 20 minutes to burn those 200 calories?

Today it took me 30 minutes to burn 270 calories via my HRM to walk/run 2.22 mile while carrying my lazy child.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    On the elliptical at the fitness center I go to in 30min I can burn 260cal but it all depends on me maintaining a certain speed and tension setting. I dont trust the burn to be accurate either since the settings are general.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    20 minutes for 200 calories is pretty decent it depends on what you're doing and how accurate you'd consider the machine you're using. It'd probably take me 25 minutes, but I'm not working especially hard, but I use high incline.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    First, why do you want to loose that many calories that fast? How did you calculate that it took you 20 minutes to burn those 200 calories?

Today it took me 30 minutes to burn 270 calories via my HRM to walk/run 2.22 mile while carrying my lazy child.

• angellll12
    Options
    angellll12 wrote: »

That's fast? The way I'm sweating I think I should reach higher calorie burn. My elliptical tells me how much calories I burn
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Sweat isn't an indicator of calorie burn.
  • rachsoderberg
    rachsoderberg Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Not sure how long it takes me to burn that because it probably varies greatly by what I do, but you should be looking at about 30mins a day of moderate exercise either way. I do know I burn about 200 cals on an 8min/mi pace run around 20mins.
  • NickGibson188
    Options
    The harder you work the more calories you burn. its easy putting food in your mouth a lot harder to burn it off. Remember if it was easy everyone would be walking round looking like a fitness model :-) keep up your great work and you will see great results
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Remember if it was easy everyone would be walking round looking like a fitness model :-)

^^^ that.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    [quote="angellll12;31956652[/quote]

That's fast? The way I'm sweating I think I should reach higher calorie burn. My elliptical tells me how much calories I burn
    [/quote]

Do you program in your weight, height, age, and gender into your elliptical before you start? If not, it is NOT telling you how many calories you burn. A 300 lb. 15 year old male is going to burn more than an 87 lb. 90 year old woman. Even if they are going the same speed with the same settings for the same amount of time. Without the above information, it has absolutely no idea how many calories you are burning and uses a generic model instead.
  • angellll12
    Options
    [quote="angellll12;31956652

[/quote]

Do you program in your weight, height, age, and gender into your elliptical before you start? If not, it is NOT telling you how many calories you burn. A 300 lb. 15 year old male is going to burn more than an 87 lb. 90 year old woman. Even if they are going the same speed with the same settings for the same amount of time. Without the above information, it has absolutely no idea how many calories you are burning and uses a generic model instead.
    [/quote]

Good point no I don't program anything on my elliptical. I'm 145 and 5'2 does that seem about right, the calories I'm burning ?

• aam117
    aam117 Posts: 284 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i get a burn between 250 - 270 on a 5k row on my rowing machine (depending on my actual time and intensity). usually that means anywhere from 24 - 26 minutes. there is an algorithm programmed in that gives a calorie burn amount and then a calculator on their website to adjust for weight, etc. i still generally round down slightly just to be safe.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you are doing, and how much you weight. Unless you are very overweight and you are going at a really high intensity, you are probably not burning anything close to that many calories. To give you an example, my estimation as healthy weight, average height woman for running a 5k, which is for me around 40 minutes during training, is around 300 calories. If you are hoping to burn lots of calories and are disappointed by the 200, unless you are very obese, then this is not happening in 20 minutes. If the goal is to lose weight, it is easier to do it by restricting calories you eat, than trying to eat a lot and then burn it through exercise, unless your lifestyle allows you to spend hours training every day.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Also, even if you are programming in all of your info, how do you know if the calories it says you are burning are including or are in addition to the calories you would have burned anyway in that same time frame? Let's say one burns 70 calories a minute just staying alive: breathing, keeping your heart beating and your blood circulating, your cells replaced, etc. Now, if you are on a treadmill and plug in all your numbers, and it says you burned 150 calories in 30 minutes, does this include or exclude the 35 calories you would have burned anyway had you been sleeping instead?

That said, I love keeping track of calories burned and when I exercise, I feel a lot better and eat less junk. Also, no matter what, you will always burn more calories by exercising than by not. Also, it helps with your overall metabolism.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Also, even if you are programming in all of your info, how do you know if the calories it says you are burning are including or are in addition to the calories you would have burned anyway in that same time frame? Let's say one burns 70 calories a minute just staying alive: breathing, keeping your heart beating and your blood circulating, your cells replaced, etc. Now, if you are on a treadmill and plug in all your numbers, and it says you burned 150 calories in 30 minutes, does this include or exclude the 35 calories you would have burned anyway had you been sleeping instead?

That said, I love keeping track of calories burned and when I exercise, I feel a lot better and eat less junk. Also, no matter what, you will always burn more calories by exercising than by not. Also, it helps with your overall metabolism.

I've never seen a database entry, HRM, machine, or anything else remove calories that would have been burned otherwise.
    Because how does it know what you would have been doing otherwise?
    Sleeping?
    Or mowing the lawn, running after kids, walking the dog, ect.
    It's estimating what you burned in those minutes at that level of exercise - which includes everything.

Sadly elliptical's have no good studies for formula for calorie burn like treadmills have, too many variables and personal ways of doing it.
    The best just measure your wattage output, and assume you are the average 20-23% efficient turning calories into movement. Weight is all that matters then.

Actually, MFP already has an estimate of what it expects you to burn every minute of the day - In your goals - calories burned from daily activity.
    Divide by 1440 - that's your already accounted for calorie burn per minute that your eating goal is based on.

That's what you should be subtracting from whatever burn you do in addition to normal living that MFP is already estimating.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    10 cal/min isn't that bad.

As you get more fit, you can do more than that - easily.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    10 cal/min isn't that bad.

As you get more fit, you can do more than that - easily.

Exactly!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Depending on what I'm doing it usually takes about 30 minutes.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    200 calories can take me anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on what I'm doing.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and around 150lb. I burn around 10 cals/min on a run outside, less on an inside elliptical trainer. I use a HRM with my weight plumbed in. The gym machines over-estimate by around 20% for me.