I need some advice!

Options
Hi! So I am a college student whose lost about 25lbs since August (I am currently 158) and I'd like to lose another 25 but I'm struggling a little at the moment. Being a college student my dietary options are limited but I do a pretty good job of eating healthily in my dorm room, my problem is going out to eat. I'm very social and hate getting trapped on campus so when my friends go out I usually go with them, but unfortunately they usually go to get fast food. I guess the root of my problem is just saying no, with everyone around me eating and having fun I wanna join in and usually get food too, even if I had told myself I wouldn't and eat something healthy when I got home. I try to pick healthier options but as a vegetarian and someone with several sever food allergies I am sometimes limited to fries or shakes. Recently I have been making use of online menus with nutritional information to choose the "healthiest" option before we even get there but I'd like some more tips and tricks any of you veterans might have to stick with my diet!

Replies

• thatguynick
    thatguynick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, I look to find the healthiest options within what I like to eat. If you get fries, get a small and eat slowly. Since you're social, talk more than you eat :) You don't have to eat as fast as everyone else.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The vast majority of successful dieters on this forum support the idea of moderation. If I was faced with your dilemma I would have the following options.

1. Stay focused and undestand the overall objective is to stay on track and consume in a way that protects your deficit as reaching target you have decided is important.
    2. Portion control. You are doing a good job in using your brain and picking foods that are healthy and less calorie dense. Most chain fast food joints serve a healthier option.
    3. If its all burges and fries, then im afraid get a small portion and eat slowly. Work out in advance how many calories it will be and budget to fit it into your allowance.
    4. One trick if you get fries is as soon as you get them is to share them immediately so you have half a portion. In most circumstances i wouldnt be drinking shakes, but water.
    5. The other alternative is good calorie budgeting, eat less during the day and move your calories toward when you eat out.
    6. You can increase your calorie allowance by exercise, it takes a lot, but you cam do it. Its also a good reminder how much hard work you have to do to earn fast food. Sometimes its worth it and sometimes its easier to say no.

Dont restrict, dont freak out just be sensible and intelligent.

You can plan ahead, so you know how many calories you have to spend and as you build your knowledge you will havea go to stragey that works, which should be asy to keep to as long as you remember 1.

use this calculator to start understanding the calories of your fast food options and then decide in advance what you might have.

http://www.fastfoodnutrition.org/10_r-mcdonalds/nutrition-facts.html
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh food is so participatory isn't it? Ug. I even feel bad if I can't eat what others are because it's what people do when we go out! However, it sounds like you have a better handle on making the food choices than you may feel. Researching ahead is awesome and most burger joints offer some kind of salad. Get a grilled chix sandwich if they have it and a side salad with a low fat dressing. Sometimes they offer apple slices or fruit cups for kiddos- buy a kids meal and swap (plus you get a toy-bonus). I'd skip the shake. Unsweetened tea is nice if you are sick of water. Good luck-you are being successful in a tough and stressful time in your life. Well done!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You cna eat what other people eat though, just no the amount or get down the gym and earn the calories so you can eat more.
  • sneaky_teaky
    sneaky_teaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with some of my best friends, If I spend the day with them I feel like we do nothing but eat all day! I tried sharing with them what I am trying to do and why it is important to me, but that backfired, they feel like they have accomplished something if they can get me to make bad food choices and break out of my 'diet'(I always correct them that I am not on a diet, but undergoing a lifestyle change). I always try to plan my day of food ahead of time when I am with them, as last time I threw caution to the wind it set my progress back a week, and then another week to work it off. It doesn't help that they are a few years younger than me and naturally thin. In the end it is a test of my willpower to hang out with them. But you know what? I almost think I need these test to show how much stronger I am now and remind me that this is something important to me.

as far as tips, I try to keep healthy snacks in my bag so I still get to eat with my friends, even when they are going somewhere without a healthier option.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You already sound very prepared. But...
    I have a similar problem with some of my best friends, If I spend the day with them I feel like we do nothing but eat all day! I tried sharing with them what I am trying to do and why it is important to me, but that backfired, they feel like they have accomplished something if they can get me to make bad food choices and break out of my 'diet'(I always correct them that I am not on a diet, but undergoing a lifestyle change).

/quote]

Yeah don't discuss with your friends. Diets are a generally boring topic and some people will undermine you just because it is a game to them. Or they don't get why one big meal is a problem. I never discuss.

Being vegetarian gives you some room to say no. And if you get a salad it makes sense because you are a vegetarian (because just eating a salad when the whole group is eating heavy might cause comments). Fast food salads kind of suck other than Noahs.

If you want a shake, maybe split one. I suspect another girl would happily do that. Plus it saves money. But unsweetened ice tea is a good option.

Good luck. You sound very on the ball already.

• sneaky_teaky
    sneaky_teaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel I have to contradict and say that I felt it was important to let them know I am working to improve myself. I didn't just come out and announce it the moment I decided to become serious about weight loss. First I told them I was giving up soda as a way to be healthy. They still offer it to me but have been respectful of that being an absolute no for me. Then as my progress began to show and people asked about it I was honest. I am trying for a healthier me. It is just the one set of friends that haven't been completely respectful and encourage me to 'live a little'. Maybe it is a game to them, maybe its not, but I shared what I am doing with them because they are my friends and they need to understand why I won't go get froyo or denny's in the middle of the night like we used to, or why they need to bring their own snacks to my house because I don't keep junk foods anymore. In the long run they will either be understanding or I will have to choose to hang out with them less. Its all about choices.