I will only buy clothes when ...

Options
I hate to admit that I'm wearing these same old t-shirts, sweat shirts, and sweat pants because I won't allow myself to buy new clothes until I weigh XX. Well, I've been saying that for years! And then when I do force myself to go out and buy something better to wear, I just don't make the effort to "put myself together" because it's easier to wear those old t-shirts, sweat shirts, and sweat pants. I have a job where I'm home most of the time and I think I'm starting to not only hide in my clothes, but hide in my house, unless I'm running to the grocery store or other place where it doesn't really matter how I'm dressed. How to get out of this rut?

Replies

• sneaky_teaky
    sneaky_teaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When you figure out how to get out of the rut tell me! I told myself If I lost x amount before my friends wedding I would buy a new dress to wear to it.Here I am now, I have loss that plus some, and still resisting buying anything new because I plan to keep losing! At some point I will just have to do it.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Buy some stuff for the size that you are now!
    I am not saying go out and spend thousands at Saks. But get a few pieces that will create a mini capsule wardrobe for the size that you are now.
    You can go to outlets, TJ Maxx, Ross etc.. and get a few things that make you feel good right now.
    Don't try to postpone happiness / rewards for the future. (Who knows how much time we have left, anyway.)
    I think that having long term goals and rewards is nice, but it is also important to recognize and get credit for how far you've come thus far.
    You don't have to dress like a corporate maven or like "ladies who lunch" -- but you can easily look pulled together with clothes that have the proper fit and some nice accessories.
    I think it makes a huge difference.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I did that too. But at several points during the 50 lbs I had to buy and then re-buy clothes. It was also very motivating to go shopping and pull sizes off the rack that were not what I was use too.

Now that I have an end goal and should probably reach it soon, I am not trying to buy anything new til then. So the goal is by JUNE 1st I get to do some serious shopping!
  • iamfashiontribes
    iamfashiontribes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started shopping more at Goodwill, especially jeans. It's amazing the decent jeans they have & if you stick to just tags with the color of the day, u can usually get a pair for under $4. That way when they're too big, you won't feel bad donating them back there again. It just feels better to wear stuff that fits -especially jeans I think - to stay motivated.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way too. I thinkin part it was an attempt to punish myself... saying I didn't deserve it yet. It was a real negative place to be.
    I went ahead and bought a few new clothes that fit and got rid of the old stuff before I lost weight. It made me feel so much better and more energetic.

Maybe start with similar clothing but more fitted to your current size. Maybe try a pair or two of yoga pants or leggings instead of loose sweatpants. Think of it as starting a new chapter.

I am also home most of the time and have a very casual, comfortable outfit most days. I like the Danskin Now pants and leggings from Walmart. They are not very expensive. I like wearing colorful t-shirts or tank tops to brighten my mood.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I'm a Goodwill shopper. So I'll go out and spend $30 on 6 pairs of pants, a skirt, and 12 shirts. Treating your body to nice things, not only on the inside, will help you stick to this healthier lifestyle.
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun - Hit the nail on the head. I am PUNISHING myself, i.e., I don't deserve nice clothes yet. I agree with everyone with all the good suggestions. Thank you!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I agree with the second hand idea too. We have a great second hand womens clothing store near my house. I have been getting some pieces there to keep me going. And frankly it is pretty nice stuff ;)
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Don't wait: Show the current you some love!
    Get a few new basics - black pants, skirt, couple of ss tees, couple of ls tees, whatever.
    Then get some accessories! Even better if they are bright, colorful, fun things the 'old' you might not have chosen.

For what it's worth, I use the accessories as little rewards for goals accomplished. When I wear one, I always remember what the reward was for; then, I am motivated, thinking how far I've come - and I know that I can totally do this!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I really hate buying and trying on clothes too. I have for quite awhile now, just not happy with my body. I am down one size, and most of my clothes still look ok, but shopping with my daughter I bought a new dress and it did look good on me and was on a good sale. I do have trouble liking how I look in things, down only 21 lbs so far so no huge change yet. You do need to get some things that fit better though when you loose a certain amount though. Goodwill or salvation army, or any consignment or thrift store is a great place to get a few things to tide you over until the next new size. Also dig deep in the closet for things that used to fit a long time ago. Sometimes when you wear the same very big over sized things, you can't tell your progress because the big clothes are hiding your new shape.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    To put it bluntly, go shopping, try things on and don't fear the sizes, they are just numbers. How can you expect to take care of yourself if you don't love yourself first?
    Be proud of that chubby body, it can do amazing things, and then strive to make it the best body it can be because that is what we do for people we love.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Until I'm able to go shopping and try things on without feeling like crap by the time I get home. Until I feel comfortable with my body.
  • Cookiejo2270
    Cookiejo2270 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've had to buy stuff. I just get it all at resale shops and thrift stores so I don't waste money.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Until I'm able to go shopping and try things on without feeling like crap by the time I get home. Until I feel comfortable with my body.

That will never happen if you don't try.