50 and Frustrated

Options
Hello All,
I'm so frustrated with how difficult it is to lose weight after 50. I'll be 52 in a few months, and all I need to lose is 10 pounds. I'm a fitness instructor, I eat really healthy for the most part, and yet it is crazy how tough this is! Anyone else in my boat?

Replies

• dramos1961
    dramos1961 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yeah, after 50 its hard! 53 here and can drop easy but to maintain it suxs! Heads up Donna keep up the sweat and burn it off! GLTU
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi Donna,
    I am just turning 50 and having been a profesional athlete most of my life I was immobilized for 18 months with a broken neck. I gained 60 pounds during the 2 years of hell and I am still rehabbing. I have lost 50 of those lbs those so far.

So frustrated ? Beyond measure. What was hard was getting to the point of committing to a goal. I had every excuse know why I couldn't or really didn't want to do it. Once I accepted that it had to be done I made the goal. Educated myself on how MFP works and commited to a plan. Sticking to the plan has had a few minor challenges but in reality the day to day execution has be relatively simple. I think a large part of that was I was not constantly faced with the huge number of how much I had to lose. I knew I had a solid plan, I knew I would lose 2 pounds a week if I stuck to the plan and all I had to do was make the make the meal in front of me fit my calorie budget. no big scary thought of 60 POUNDS ! nope, just make this lunch 450 calories of delicious goodness and I will accomplish my goal.

anyhow, don't let age be your excuse. Set your goal, devise a plan, execute, WIN !
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    This +1
    anyhow, don't let age be your excuse. Set your goal, devise a plan, execute, WIN !

Keep it simple and just get on with it. The commiting to it as well as the rest in the quote is what does it. Ecen though you understand it, you arent as effecive at execution. There are some drawbacks to age, but dont let it be a trap and a crutch. Deal with what you have. A fitness instructor, then you have the opportunity to be your own client.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I turned 61 this year, the hardest part for me is giving up, or at least limiting many of the foods that I have always eaten and enjoyed. I do tend to eat out of boredom too. I am not a very active person and that has gotten worse as I've aged. I have to force myself to be more active. But, that being said, I am losing slowly.
  • ronronronj
    ronronronj Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am also over 50, and junk food sticks to me a lot more then it used to. Joining this page and using this app seems to have started me focusing. Hopefully I will be able to get outside more with the warm weather approaching. It is also difficult with young kids around who don't always want the healthiest of food options.
  • donna7763
    donna7763 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think my biggest problem is wanting faster results. It's always been easy to maintain my weight in the past. If I splurged a little, I just worked out a little harder. This is all about discipline and patience. I got to my goal weight just before my wedding three years ago, but it is much harder now. Camo and Tigger are right--you just have to stick to it and not let a bad day of eating mess with your head! Do either of you drink alcohol? Every healthy meal plan I've looked at basically eliminates it with the exception of a small glass of wine once a week.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Donna, I too want the weight to melt off like it did when I was 25. At 63, I'm doing it differently. I'm eating a healthy amount of good calories and increasing physical activity. It's a slow process, and I've given up out of frustration and gained back some. It's hard to stick with it. I have to remind myself that I'm not depriving myself, I just have to do it differently now! Keep up the GREAT work!!
  • Camo_xxx
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I do not drink on a regular basis but do drink socially on occasion, lets call it once a month. I drink cocktails using a diet mixer and just work it into my calorie budget. On a few occasions I have gone over budget with drinking and have either just logged it and moved on or cut back some calories the next day to average it out. A bigger challenge for me with drinking is not allowing myself to have that late night pig out session. You know, that whole lowering of inhibitions deal. LOL
  • suzeequu
    suzeequu Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    donna7763 wrote: »
    Hello All,
    I'm so frustrated with how difficult it is to lose weight after 50. I'll be 52 in a few months, and all I need to lose is 10 pounds. I'm a fitness instructor, I eat really healthy for the most part, and yet it is crazy how tough this is! Anyone else in my boat?

I agree. My Dr told me I have to work twice as hard to lose half as much after 50 , add to that I have low thyroid for 20 years. Sometimes I really have to fight to not give up, but when I think about it, I look at my profile pics on here and see how far I have come in 2 years and I know I have to stay the course.
  • Terryb99
    Terryb99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just turned 56.. went from 210 to 155 in 2012 and then spent the next 2 years going back to 185. I am now back down to 167, on my way to 145-150.
    It is slower to lose now, no matter how much I watch calories and exercise. But I do lose, as long as I stay active and exercise.
    Just have to stick with it. I know for me, the exercise is more important than the calories.
  • faithsimmons526
    faithsimmons526 Posts: 162 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Every healthy meal plan I've looked at basically eliminates it with the exception of a small glass of wine once a week.

I'd have a hard time sticking to a 'diet plan' that eliminates all but a small BOTTLE of wine per week. :p

I've heard it said many times that the last 10 pounds is the hardest to lose, though I wouldn't know ... I gave up with just 13 to lose last time (2 years ago). What's going to get me through this time is focusing on health over weight loss, and the realization that I will never be 'off' the eating plan /diet I've chosen for myself. So it doesn't matter if it takes me a month or 6 months to lose these 20 pounds -- they WILL come off.
  • donna7763
    Options
    suzeequu wrote: »
    Hello All,

I agree. My Dr told me I have to work twice as hard to lose half as much after 50 , add to that I have low thyroid for 20 years. Sometimes I really have to fight to not give up, but when I think about it, I look at my profile pics on here and see how far I have come in 2 years and I know I have to stay the course.

Suzeequu--First, you CAN'T be 50, so that must have been your doctor's advice for the future. Secondly, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Way to go!
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just turned 53, and it has been quite a struggle since hitting peri-menopause. That in itself changes all of the rules. I joined here in 2013, lost 25 lbs..with lots of effort, exercise, counting calories..and determination. Then I got hurt. I had to stop the exercise...so I just gave up.
    Fast forward 2015. I tweaked my eating habits.....and had noticed that the peri-menopause is stabilizing somewhat into menopause. Now....as of January 2015....I have lost 37 pounds...without even really trying.
    I decided to set myself back up on here...to monitor calorie intake and weightloss. Hopefully...I can get back into the exercise thing too soon. :)
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    That is a good point. somewhere around our age I think most people get the revelation that we are no longer invincible and that we will have to be accountable for each calorie if we want to stay fit. boy that does sound frustrating and sorta depressing. Oh well, just make each calorie nutritious and delicious.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I am 56. Took me five years....but I have lost 47 lbs. Half of that since using MFP the last year and a half. I reached my goal last month. I eat/drink anything I want but very strict on portion control and stay within my numbers...yes, wine included. Not active but play golf once a week. The last 10 lbs (lucky you, all you need to lose) takes longer to lose. Be happy with a half pound a week and don't give up.
    Good luck. :)
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Losing weight used to be so easy!! Now..not so much. and our current American food culture does not help us out one bit. But if I have a craving...I eat it..and enjoy it. If it is something high calorie/high fat..etc.....Oh well. I document it in here, and go on with my life.
    We should still have quality of life while trying to lose weight. It is ok to splurge once in a while.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Just turned 50 in February. Made it my goal to finally get control of my weight and be more active. Started using MFP daily and changed my mindset in 2 very important ways: 1) slow and steady weight loss over expectations to drop quickly 2) no off-limits food...just find a way to work it in. So far, I've lost 10 pounds (since January) and while I wouldn't say it has been easy, it certainly hasn't been hard.

And I enjoy wine every weekend. I just bank extra calories during the week in order to fit it in. Now I know it is possible to reach my goals. I just need to keep at it. I won't let my age be an excuse and in a weird way, it has given me more motivation.

Good luck. You can do this. We can do this.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I am 50 (as of last August) as well....January 4 I started tracking and limiting my calories to 1200 a day. I have lost 20 lbs since then. I do have the occasional cocktail but count the calories and fit it in! For me, eating carefully is the key to the weight coming off...making sure those 1200 calories come from the right foods, lean proteins, vegetables, fruit and healthy fats. I also try and save about 100 calories for a sweet...dark chocolate or sugar free pudding.

I have 20 more to go, and I imagine those will go much slower! With only 10 to lose for you, it might be slow going!
  • donna7763
    Options
    pita7317 wrote: »
    I am 56. Took me five years....but I have lost 47 lbs. Half of that since using MFP the last year and a half. I reached my goal last month. I eat/drink anything I want but very strict on portion control and stay within my numbers...yes, wine included. Not active but play golf once a week. The last 10 lbs (lucky you, all you need to lose) takes longer to lose. Be happy with a half pound a week and don't give up.
    Good luck. :)

Thank you, Pita! Wow--what a great story you have! Yeah, I never really had to lose weight, so when this 10 pounds slowly appeared and stubbornly stayed, it made me feel a little panicked. I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but it made me wonder if the trend would just keep on rolling. After reading so many posts, I realize that losing this 10 is more difficult than if I had started 20 pounds away from my goal. I have been 117 lbs FOREVER. Even after the birth of my children, my weight went right back down. Then I hit menopause and my metabolism has really slowed down. I teach two Body Pump classes, a cycle class, and a yoga class each week. The days I don't teach classes, I take classes. I am a full-time elementary teacher as well, so I carefully plan my food each day because I can't leave campus during the day to eat. Even with consistent exercise, healthy eating, and monitoring portions, this is a difficult thing to do! I read a post by a man who mentioned how difficult it must be if you are a small-framed woman who just wants to maintain because of how little you can eat--IT'S TRUE! I used to eat as much as most men--those days are gone! Yes, Pita, I'm taking your advice of being happy with as little as a 1/2 pound a week! That is the key for me! Thanks for your inpiration!!
  • kaztaz292
    kaztaz292 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Some really good points, i never even thought about the menopause lol, i'm 52 and started menopause a few years ago now.Along with arthritis and certain meds it can be hard going.
    Yes tho, i do find it really hard to lose weight, i can put it on easy enough which is why i joined this. I think being here with others we all have the same goal so good support for each other.