Confused ketosis dieter

Options
hi guys :)

I'm trying to do this ketosis diet system and am abit confused on how many carbs I should be having and which carbs count, I've been told fibre doesn't count?

Also I feel very limited in meal ideas due to many vegetables containing high levels of carbs :S

Thanks for your help :D

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You have to find your own level, for simplicity I would start with a Total Carbohydrates limit of 50 grams per day and see how it goes. Dropping to 35 if it doesn't deliver. Then if necessary steps of 5.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    alicer461 wrote: »

I'm trying to do this ketosis diet system and am abit confused on how many carbs I should be having and which carbs count, I've been told fibre doesn't count?

Also I feel very limited in meal ideas due to many vegetables containing high levels of carbs :S

Considering you've spelled "fibre" instead of "fiber" I'm going to guess it's not something you need to worry about. In the US, fiber is included in the overall carb count on nutritional info, and people do the math to subtract it, leaving them with info that matches that used in the rest of the world. If you did that, you'd be subtracting it twice.

Use this chart to choose your fruit and vegetables. It's based on 100g servings. You will want to use the "net carb" column, because those are the numbers that will match the ones on labels where you live:
    95xl2Te.jpg

Obviously, if you're not having 100g of something, you'll reduce that net carb to match the amount you're eating. About the only thing on the list I'd count as a no way ever food is dates, everything else, you just need to scale the portion size to be reasonable.

Also, mushrooms should be much higher on the list, that seems to be a sorting error.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Considering you've spelled "fibre" instead of "fiber" I'm going to guess it's not something you need to worry about.

MFP is not a website exclusively for Americans, and most of the English-speaking world uses English spellings, in which "fibre" is the correct one.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »

Considering you've spelled "fibre" instead of "fiber" I'm going to guess it's not something you need to worry about.

MFP is not a website exclusively for Americans, and most of the English-speaking world uses English spellings, in which "fibre" is the correct one.

This
  • JPW1990
    Options

That's nice. It doesn't change the fact that fiber is used in the country where people have to deduct fiber from carbs, and fibre is used in countries where they don't. You know, the thing she was actually asking about.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm not a keto dieter, but can I have a link to that fiber chart so that I can bookmark it for myself?
  • JPW1990
    Options
    I'm not a keto dieter, but can I have a link to that fiber chart so that I can bookmark it for myself?

I just have the image file bookmarked, it was posted that way to one of my lymphedema forums as an image, so I put it on imgur.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I just have the image file bookmarked, it was posted that way to one of my lymphedema forums as an image, so I put it on imgur.

Gotcha. I'll bookmark the thread and hope it stays around. Thanks.

• JPW1990
    Options

If you click the image, it will take you to the page where it's uploaded. That will stay even if the thread doesn't.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

My impression is that JPW1990 is well aware of that and was merely suggesting that anyone using the British English spelling probably doesn't live in the United States, therefore they don't have to worry about the odd decision to omit that information from American labeling. Of course I could be wrong but I didn't detect a condescending tone.

Welp, my post apparently took longer to write than I thought it would. I'm going to let it stand even though it is way off here in the distance.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Can you right click on the image and click save image as...? then at least you'd have a picture.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »

Can you right click on the image and click save image as...? then at least you'd have a picture.

Here's the direct link if clicking it isn't working: http://i.imgur.com/95xl2Te.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

If you click the image, it will take you to the page where it's uploaded. That will stay even if the thread doesn't.

Awesome, and duh! I should have thought of that. Thanks.

• erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    All of that stuff about fiber/fibre is accurate.

As for meal ideas, do you have a Pinterest? There's loads of recipes and stuff on there.
    There's also websites like caveman keto. Loads of good recipes there as well. Don't be afraid of the bacon grease too!
  • Squig1102
    Squig1102 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Induction phase (the first phase of Atkins is 20 net carbs). Called induction phase because it induces ketosis. Each gram of carbohydrate can be cancelled out with a gram of fiber. The first few days may be a little challenging because you are depleting your body of glycogen stores and converting our metabolism to running off of fat instead of glucose. Read "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Jeff Volek/ Stephen Phinney. It's a wealth of information.
    I love low-carb. Just got sick of riding the sugar-craving roller coaster.
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I stay under 20g of carbs a day. I usually eat 2 green vegetables a day and the rest of my food doesn't contain many carbs. Google low carb meals and a bunch of recipes will come up. You can pretty much google anything you have a taste for low carb and you'll find it.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thanks @JPW1990 for the chart! I'm not into keto but it's a great reference for fruits and veggies. I've seen a few online but this is the most concise yet informative I've seen.
  • JPW1990
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jessicapk wrote: »
    Thanks @JPW1990 for the chart! I'm not into keto but it's a great reference for fruits and veggies. I've seen a few online but this is the most concise yet informative I've seen.

You're welcome. I actually cheered out loud the day I saw it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Op, if you check out one of the low carb or keto groups you might find it beneficial. And if you strategy is to do keto, you could always start low carb and slowly decrease carbs to get into a keto state. This might make the transition easier and can give you more time to learn about keto.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1494-reddit-keto
  • alicer461
    alicer461 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone :) it's a big help I think I'll start off at 20 carbs then slowly increase so I can find my level of ketosis :) I've bought these ketosis testing strips which should be helpful