Eating breakfast makes me super hungry!

Options
So normally I wouldn't eat breakfast in a morning. ( I know this isn't good for my metabolism, but I have to get two buses to work so its always hectic in the morning)
On friday, I had breakfast for the first time in months. Then a chicken salad at lunch with a couple gluten free rice cakes, which is normal for me. But 3 o'clock hit and I was soooooo hungry, major hunger pangs.
Logic would suggest that if you eat more you would be more full.
Can anyone explain?

Replies

• noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Same. If I have breakfast at about 8am then I'm starving by 10:30am. I think it's because your stomach then has some sort of reference point for comparison, so once you've digested most of your breakfast your stomach rumbles and feels empty and wants more. I know that's not really a sciency explanation, but it happens to me literally every day.

I just put off eating until I'm actually hungry (which is usually early afternoon). It's much easier that way.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    So don't eat breakfast if you're not a breakfast eater. It has zero effect on your metabolism or weight loss. There are lots of users here who don't have their first meal of the day until noon or later.
  • Stacey2916
    Stacey2916 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Same. If I have breakfast at about 8am then I'm starving by 10:30am. I think it's because your stomach then has some sort of reference point for comparison, so once you've digested most of your breakfast your stomach rumbles and feels empty and wants more. I know that's not really a sciency explanation, but it happens to me literally every day.

I just put off eating until I'm actually hungry (which is usually early afternoon). It's much easier that way.

I'm glad i'm not the only one!
    I just worry it will slow down my weight loss.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options

You're scared what will slow down your weightloss? Not eating breakfast? If anything it'll help it because you'll consume less. All the stuff about needing to 'kick start your metabolism' is rubbish. :)
  • Stacey2916
    Stacey2916 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

You're scared what will slow down your weightloss? Not eating breakfast? If anything it'll help it because you'll consume less. All the stuff about needing to 'kick start your metabolism' is rubbish. :)

I always second guessed the metabolism thing but the PTI at my gym is like pro-metabolism.
    Don't really know what to believe. There are too many theories and not enough facts out there.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You gym person is wrong. Go by how you feel.
    I cannot stand breakfast because 1) I am not interested in food in the morning, and 2) it makes me want to eat the rest of the day.
    Look into Intermittent Fasting:
    http://dailyburn.com/life/health/intermittent-fasting-methods/
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

I always second guessed the metabolism thing but the PTI at my gym is like pro-metabolism.
    Don't really know what to believe. There are too many theories and not enough facts out there.

I'm pro-metabolism as well. Metabolisms are awesome, they let us do awesome things, like... survive.

That being said, your metabolism is pretty much going to do what it's going to do whether you eat breakfast or not. If eating breakfast is going to make you hungry all day, then skip breakfast with a clear conscience.

I'm like you and I gave up breakfast entirely. I get to eat two huge-*kitten* meals every day and I usually have calories left for dessert or a TV snack. It's awesome.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Anybody that says you must eat breakfast for your metabolism does not understand the basics of the human metabolism.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Me too! I usually don't "break fast" till 12:30ishpm
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    So normally I wouldn't eat breakfast in a morning. ( I know this isn't good for my metabolism, but I have to get two buses to work so its always hectic in the morning)
    On friday, I had breakfast for the first time in months. Then a chicken salad at lunch with a couple gluten free rice cakes, which is normal for me. But 3 o'clock hit and I was soooooo hungry, major hunger pangs.
    Can anyone explain?

This is false. Eaty when you want to. If breakfast doesn't work for you, don't have it.

• princessloubella
    princessloubella Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just go with what your body wants and when it feels hungry. I dont eat breakfast as its just not right for me, and everyone is different so just go with what you know.
  • JudeElite
    Options
    You didn't post what your typical breakfast is, but I'm willing to bet it's high in carbs. If you replace the carbs with fats and proteins you will feel fuller longer. Also, as already mentioned by other commenters, breakfast is not necessary so don't force yourself to eat it if it's going to negatively affect diet compliance.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    JudeElite wrote: »
    You didn't post what your typical breakfast is, but I'm willing to bet it's high in carbs. If you replace the carbs with fats and proteins you will feel fuller longer. Also, as already mentioned by other commenters, breakfast is not necessary so don't force yourself to eat it if it's going to negatively affect diet compliance.

Yep, if i go anywhere near a bowl of sultana bran etc etc it turns on my hunger monster and guaranteed i will overeat that day. But if i have eggs and bacon i'm all good

• GlennS18T
    GlennS18T Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Can anyone explain?

As many have stated already timing of your first meal does not matter. To a point. Read up on Intermittent Fasting. Ive done this for 6 plus months now with phenomenal results. Body weight is dropping and all my lifts have gone up consistently. I have no desire to go back to eating early morning. I fast 8pm to 12pm next day. 16/8. This has many many benefits for your body. Also as its been previously stated is what you consume in the meal will effect your hunger levels. There also a mental factor to get passed were you think you are hungry but aren't. Good luck.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Waiting to breakfast until lunch time won't mess up your metabolism. I've done this for about a year, just started counting calories to lose weight in Jan, and have lost over 20 lbs. I'm also a 45 yr old female, so hormone shifts are on the horizon...that WILL affect my metabolism.

Follow your natural inclination, it won't hurt you as long as you are nourishing your body overall.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat breakfast because it makes me too hungry throughout the day. Never had a problem with weight loss from that.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast because I wake up hungry. Every. Day. When I was younger I could go to 3 pm without needing more than diet soda to get me through. Now? no way. I think it's personal preference. If you want to, eat. If not, don't. I don't think it hinders weight loss either way.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I leave for work by 630 am every day, so can't eat until at least 830/9am every day. I try to wait til then anyway, because I take lunch late (1pm, or later if I use my lunch break to go to the fitness center). I have my coffee in the car on the drive in, which gives me something in my stomach if I'm hungry then. Breakfast around 9am, late morning snack (yogurt or cottage cheese, sometimes with fruit), & then lunch 1-2pm. I'm good til dinner (6ish). My work & personal schedule is built in such a way that I really do tend to eat at those times.
    On my days off, especially if I sleep in (can't always), if I don't eat breakfast til late morning, I either have a bigger meal, & skip the snack, or have a bigger meal, & no / light lunch. It really depends on my hunger & what I'm doing the rest of the day.
    Bottom line -- Eat what / when it makes sense for you. If you're not hungry before late morning, don't eat til then. Just don't let yourself starve, because then you can make poor choices, or eat too fast & end up overdoing it.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I’m with you on this! You are not alone! And my gosh, definitely don’t worry about not eating breakfast - don’t listen to that PTI fellow. I never eat breakfast and my weight loss is right on track. First, I’m not hungry in the morning, and second, eating breakfast kick-starts an insane level of hunger for the rest of the day - just like others have said. My first meal is at 12:30:14:00 and it works great for me. I’m much more of an afternoon eater.

Do what you find works for you :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Its ok not to eat breakfast. It doesn't negatively impact your metabolism. I too am one of those people who if i eat an early breakfast i end up being very hungry all morning and struggle to make it to lunch