question

Options
Please help me out. Are you supposed to eat back the calories you burn?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Please help me out. Are you supposed to eat back the calories you burn?

Yep
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    That would depend on using the TDEE method, or MFP's recommendation.

TDEE = Don't eat back
    MFP = Eat back
  • TonyaVanan1976
    TonyaVanan1976 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat them back, but sometimes (most times lol) if i'm really hungry i'll eat some of them back
  • TonyaVanan1976
    Options
    Lol i try not too either but if I do I try not to eat them all and I try to make sure I pick wise choices
  • Joker_CFH85
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Maybe. MFP's calorie burns for exercise are very generous, so halving them would be a good idea.

I find I have to increase them. I've compared them to other estimates and weight loss vs calorie deficit. MFP can not account for personal effort (3.5mph walk on flat is not the same as uphill)

I set my weekly exercise as 0 and then insert it as I do it, day to day. On the days I exercise I always eat more to maintain a steady calorie deficit (-1100). If you're deficit is already high it's best to eat to cover what you burn, otherwise you are likely to burn muscle.
  • Joker_CFH85
    Options
    Lol i try not too either but if I do I try not to eat them all and I try to make sure I pick wise choices

Wise choices :smile:
    When I see something I want I like to decide if it's worth the extra exercise. I find it's a good incentive as I hate running
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I eat back 30-50% of it.
  • TonyaVanan1976
    Options
    I have been keeping my calorie intake to 1200 a day but I burn about 200 a day at least walking 50 mins a day and I have been eating those calories back or some which would mean I'm really eating about 1400 a day. So not sure if that is good or not. I have been losing. I have 10.4 lbs in about 3 weeks but still thinking I might lose more if I didn't eat the calories I burn back. I do know I'm definitely doing doing better than I did before I started all this because before I didn't walk and I ate whatever I wanted all the time lol. I would guess my 1200 to 1400 caloric intake now vs the old me is about 600 calories a day at least lol
  • TonyaVanan1976
    Options
    Wow I obviously can't type lol. Lots of typos there but hopefully it made sense lol
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    The only "Wise choice" that you have to worry about is not going over the calories that you exercise. I only eat about half back, now. "healthy" or "junk", if you are trying to lose weight, it's in the caloric intake.

Eat=burn=eat=burn=eat=burn=eat=burn...

Goes round and round and round. :)
  • TonyaVanan1976
    Options
    LOL I think I got it now