How many calories would be in a chicken taco?

Options

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Back to the OP.... It's all an estimate. Even with a scale, we are estimating (albeit more accurately with scales). I've gotten better at estimating weights, but for stuff like shredded lettuce in a restaurant, I estimate volume (1/2 cup) vs. weight. It's lettuce. Even misestimating by half would be like 7 calories. It's the best I can do under the circumstances and I don't sweat it. I eat and cook a lot of Mexican, and I would estimate your taco shell as a 24g corn tortilla + 2g oil. But like others said, I didn't see it. That would be a good estimate for the tacos served around here. Estimating the chicken involves many other variables depending on how it tasted. Some places season with teriyaki, esp for fajita style sauté. Some places keep shredded chicken in seasoned stock (with fat) to keep it hot and moist prior to assembly. There was probably another ingredient in that chicken, but the qty was small. Sometimes for restaurant meals I log an extra tsp or two of oil for unknown prep. Do your best. It's all anyone can do, really. And it's better than nothing!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd log 350 and call it a day. The fried shell is probably what's making it worse.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kmclamb13 wrote: »
    What is wrong with you people .This just goes to show that no one on this sight really cares about you they just want to get a knife and cut at you.You are all rude!

QHgRS.gif

and OP, here's my vast knowledge on the subject, as i have a ph.d. in tacology.
    my research tells me that a taco bell standard, crunchy, beef taco with cheese is about 170 cals.

log that, and it's likely an overestimation, which is probably better than underestimating (though you dont want to under eat).

i think i'd call it 250 and not lose any sleep.

edit: on second thought, this was a restaurant and not a fast food place right? so their taco is probably bigger than the bell's. i think 350 is really high, but maybe that's the best route to take. i had initially said 150 based on putting together the ingredients bought at the store, but thats probably an underestimation as well.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    If only there were a website with a large food database where one could find this information....

I was just asking people if I could potentially be underestimating.

There's no reason to be rude. People like you are the reason why I have anger issues.

Your anger issues are all you, by the way.

I'd search the database for chicken tacos, use one of the higher estimates and hope for the best. The ones I make at home are around 300 calories each, for 2.5 ounces of meat each. I wouldn't go below 300, but that's just my opinion.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help :) I really appreciate it <3
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If only there were a website with a large food database where one could find this information....

There's no reason to be rude. People like you are the reason why I have anger issues.
    What is wrong with you people .This just goes to show that no one on this sight really cares about you they just want to get a knife and cut at you.You are all rude!

tumblr_m570z9lUNi1qdd8wro1_250.gif
    tumblr_m570z9lUNi1qdd8wro2_250.gif
    tumblr_m570z9lUNi1qdd8wro3_250.gif
    tumblr_m570z9lUNi1qdd8wro4_250.gif

Rude. That word people use to try to shame/insult others when they don't have the stones to use something stronger.

Have a chocolate.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

Gotta love it when the most rude comment on the thread is the one calling everyone rude.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

..."and it's a bit ironic, don't you think?"
    (At least, I think that's how that Alanis Morrisette song goes haha)
  • Chadillac8884
    Chadillac8884 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think 250 calories is a pretty good estimate. It's definitely tough sometimes. As long as you aren't always eating out and making inaccurate calculations, you will be fine. And also......don't let some of these "non-helpful" comments get to you. It's not worth it.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help :) I really appreciate it <3
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    375 calories.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    1 fried corn tortilla shell (150 calories - Old El Paso)
    1/2 cup shredded chicken (120 calories - 4 ounces)
    1/8 cup cheese (50 calories)
    1/2 cup iceberg lettuce (not going to count it)

= 320 calories.

Is there any sauce on it? That could put it over 400 cals.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Man not even 2 pages in a we have a "people like you are why I have anger issues" and "you're all rude" ... Please, keep this going!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    1 taco consisted of about:
    1 fried corn tortilla shell
    1/2 cup shredded chicken
    1/8 cup cheese
    1/2 cup iceberg lettuce

Lettuce -> ignore
    Cheese -> make that 1/4 cup, because humans are horribly at estimating volume -> 110 calories
    Chicken -> make that 3/4 cup, because blah blah blah -> 225 calories
    Tortilla shell -> 125 calories (typical)

Typical preparation of meat for taco use includes quickly grilling it, which means oil -> 1 tbsp -> 120 calories

So all-in estimate is 110 + 225 + 125 + 120 -> 580 calories

As a sanity check, looked up Del Taco's nutritional information. Scaling by estimated protein, this looks like it'll be be close, and consistent with anti-Price Is Right rules.

• marcocrrnz
    marcocrrnz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You're just gonna have to trust me on this(I used to eat tacos all the time partly because I'm Mexican-American):

You're most likely not wrong. I would say a taco of that sort has 310 calories give or take. It would help your nutrition if you ate the salsa, pico de gallo, or guacamole that may come with it.

The capsaicin may help your metabolism. :)

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I asked the Mexican dude down the block and he told me "Cuatro mil ochocientos diez". So there you have it. He's Mexican, he can't be wrong.

This comment wins :)

And I second the poster stating, put in your best estimate of the ingredient amounts and go with that..because you can't REALLY get a really accurate portrayal for a mom and pop store that doesn't have nutritional data listed. That's because I don't know if the chicken in that taco was: fried..steamed..boiled.etc. and I don't know if that 1/8 cup of cheese is full fat cheese, part skim, etc. etc. Make your best estimate based on what you remember...a good guess is better than nothing as far as logging goes.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Not to beat a dead horse but.....You are the only one responsible for your anger issues.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I asked the Mexican dude down the block and he told me "Cuatro mil ochocientos diez". So there you have it. He's Mexican, he can't be wrong.

Did you ask Leo? He's s chihuahua, he should know, right? I mean someone must have the magical correct answer which is more accurate than the information available to the OP and everyone else here using the exact same database...