How many calories would be in a chicken taco?

Options
soccerkon26
soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch with my boss and tried to make better choices. Didn't get beans or rice like I normally would and took most of the cheese off! Unfortunately the tacos came in a fried shell. About how many calories do you think one of these tacos would be? I'm trying to peice things together on things already in the MFP diary but I want to make sure I'm not underestimating.

1 taco consisted of about:
1 fried corn tortilla shell
1/2 cup shredded chicken
1/8 cup cheese
1/2 cup iceberg lettuce

How many calories (estimated) do you think would be in this taco? I was estimating about 250 but I feel like I'm incorrect.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why don't you log it in your diary to find the calorie content?
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If you could list the ingredients in ounces or grams it would be a LOT easier. Cups are volume measurements, not weight.
  • soccerkon26
    Options

It's an authentic restaurant, not a chain. They don't have nutritional info

I am finding a lot of different things when searching in generic terms
  • soccerkon26
    Options
    If you could list the ingredients in ounces or grams it would be a LOT easier. Cups are volume measurements, not weight.

Yeah I could try but I'm not good with estimating ounces by eyeballing things :( sorry
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    If only there were a website with a large food database where one could find this information....

:laugh:
  • TavistockToad
    Options

It's an authentic restaurant, not a chain. They don't have nutritional info

I am finding a lot of different things when searching in generic terms

But people who answer you are just going to estimate using generic terms....
  • soccerkon26
    Options
    If only there were a website with a large food database where one could find this information....

I was just asking people if I could potentially be underestimating.

There's no reason to be rude. People like you are the reason why I have anger issues.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    If you click on "Food" on the top menu, then pick the meal you want to add food to. It will come up with a Search feature for you to look up the calories with. Use the ingredients you listed instead of "chicken taco".
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You aren't ever going to know. You can't even estimate. I could make you a chicken taco of 200 cals. I could make you one of 900 cals. I could make some in-between.

Eating out can make weight loss difficult if done frequently. If you don't do it that often then call it an off day and get back on track tomorrow.

Or, log estimates by looking up a common brand of taco shell. Then look up another, and maybe another. Similar calorie count? Log one of them. It's an estimate but it will do.
  • soccerkon26
    Options
    Emberlain wrote: »
    You aren't ever going to know. You can't even estimate. I could make you a chicken taco of 200 cals. I could make you one of 900 cals. I could make some in-between.

Eating out can make weight loss difficult if done frequently. If you don't do it that often then call it an off day and get back on track tomorrow.

Or, log estimates by looking up a common brand of taco shell. Then look up another, and maybe another. Similar calorie count? Log one of them. It's an estimate but it will do.

Fair enough. Thanks :)

/endthread
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

I was just asking people if I could potentially be underestimating.

There's no reason to be rude. People like you are the reason why I have anger issues.

tumblr_m9zrh771Ov1r9mmdo.gif
  • kmclamb13
    kmclamb13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with you people .This just goes to show that no one on this sight really cares about you they just want to get a knife and cut at you.You are all rude!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You could use the nutrition calculator on chipotle.com for mexican food estimates.

They're likely going to be off to some degree in one way, or another, but it would at least give you a decent idea.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    kmclamb13 wrote: »
    What is wrong with you people .This just goes to show that no one on this sight really cares about you they just want to get a knife and cut at you.You are all rude!

Yep, that's right. Every single person on this site cares about anyone. Not one single person cares enough to take time out of their day to try and answer questions. No one. Not one. We're all, every single one of us, just here to hurt people.

Can we quit with the generalizing and drama now?

OP, I'm with those who say you should add the ingredients to your food log based on your estimate and see what you come up with.

• TavistockToad
    Options

The what now? :huh:
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options

I take it back. *Now* you can just feel the awkward.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options