Haven't lost weight, but old pants suddenly fit?

Options
There were some pants I put away in late 2013, they were all boys' size 14, and they were beginning to get painfully tight on the hips. A few days ago, I decided to switch up my closet and went to my old clothes box for shirts I'd put away because I didn't wear them anymore (not because they'd gotten small). That was when I found the pants and decided to try them on. Lo and behold, they fit now.

I've actually gained 8 lbs since then, so what's the deal?

Replies

• areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    lost inches? gained muscle? toned up? April Fools gag? :smile:
  • araschmaltz
    araschmaltz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Remember that muscles weight more than fat. I would take your measurements: Chest, Waist, Hips, Thigh, Calf and Bicep for women, all on the right side of your body and monitor those vs scale reading.
  • aki4567
    aki4567 Posts: 5
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I am aware that muscles weigh more than fat, and I am sure that I have at least gained some muscle on my thighs (I've also gained a few cup sizes...), but my hip bones have always been pretty close to the surface, so I would think it would be impossible for me to lose anything there.

I'm not trying to make this difficult. I'm just confused.
  • mthaxter
    mthaxter Posts: 4
    Options
    possibly inches...
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Remember that muscles weight (sic) more than fat.
    Needs to be a more specific statement to be true.
    For the same volume, muscle weighs more than fat.
    Or for the same weight, muscle takes up less space than fat.
    But 1 lb of muscle weighs exactly the same as 1 lb of fat, because 1 lb = 1 lb.
    This has been brought up / explained MANY times, yet the same old lies keep being told. Why?
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Remember that muscles weight (sic) more than fat.
    Needs to be a more specific statement to be true.
    For the same volume, muscle weighs more than fat.
    Or for the same weight, muscle takes up less space than fat.
    But 1 lb of muscle weighs exactly the same as 1 lb of fat, because 1 lb = 1 lb.
    This has been brought up / explained MANY times, yet the same old lies keep being told. Why?

Technically the sun doesn't rise or set but (most) people know exactly what is meant when someone says "hey, did you see that sunrise this morning"--people aren't trying to frustrate you and most know that a pound is a pound. There, Their, They're, it will be okay.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Congrats, it's "recomp". I've had same experience. Can actually fit into a new all-time low size. Even when I used to be skinny, I couldn't wear a size this low with the same hip measurement ! Can't say about you, but for ME it's because I've got noobgains in the butt area.
  • aki4567
    Options
    So what I've gathered is that the weight I've gained is from muscle mass and I've somehow lost a few inches from my hip without noticing, correct?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost any real weight either, but have dropped two clothing sizes due to rowing and lifting. It is mindboggling. Recomping is pretty cool.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I stopped losing weight 2 years ago and have lost 4" off my waist and 3" off my hips since than. More solid.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A boy's size 14 is extremely tiny for a 19 year old woman. I'd tread carefully here people.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Na, I used to wear boy's L/14 when I was her age and I was by no means unhealthily skinny...in fact, I was pretty curvy, just short and small. It equates to about a junior size 3 or 5.
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    A boy's size 14 is a 26-27 waist. That's what I was before kids. On a petite woman - I'm 5'1" - that's not unusually small.
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    As for recomp, it's happening to me, too - though slowly. I am at the same weight, but recently went from my 32" jeans to 30" jeans. (Though still a far cry from my old days!)

It's not just the hips. I'm like you -- even when heavier, I could feel my hipbones.

When you recomp, the whole shape of your waist, butt & belly changes too. My jeans are actually fitting higher -- no belly to slide under -- and the belt is tightening a bit more. So maybe it's that. Clothing just falls differently when your body changes.
  • aki4567
    Options
    I am 5' 1/2", so proportionally, it's not that small. I'm not particularly curvy either.

I appreciate all the responses.