Tilapia...wahhhhh

Options

Replies

• chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    try it fresh lime juice and cilantro...YUMMMMMY!!!

Loooove lime and cilantro! Need to pick some up!
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    chop it up and scramble it with an egg, some oregano, and voila!
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Tilapia makes beautiful fish tacos!
    I also like to cook it with dill and lemon with some garlic salt. The dill kicks butt on tilapia!!

OOOH! Love love love fish tacos/quesadillas! I actually made whole wheat pasta tonight but most nights I eat something taco related lol

HAHAHA!! Were you my twin in a different life?? I love anything mexi related- and it is so easy to convert it to something healthy- shoot, add cilantro and cumin and Im good to go LOL!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Just had tilapia last night and I used lime juice and old bay seasoning. I love old bay even use it on tuna fish. If you have never had it it is a little spicy. Its the same seasoning they use on blue crabs if you have ever had them. It turned out great even my husband loved it. He usually turns his nose up to anything remotely healthy.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Bread it w/ panko breadcrumbs, bake in the oven and than top w/ buffalo wing sauce...differenct but tasty! I've done that a couple times and the last time I made a salad w/ my breaded saucy tilapia....it was a nice change!
  • HumpyMak
    HumpyMak Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My husband puts a little olive oil in a pan and fries it with italian seasoning and some garlic powder, cooked this way I find that it doesnt taste as fishy and u can crispy it up a bit :)
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    walnut crusted is great, but parmesan crusted is my favorite!!!
    just buy some parmesan shake n bake & use fish instead of chicken, bake as per directions!! EASY & DELISH!:love:
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like to BBQ tilapia with onions or garlic, dill and lemon. Wrap it all up in foil and it's good to go and so yummy! :)
  • bobbie228
    bobbie228 Posts: 53
    Options
    Tilapia is a mild fish it will tend to take on the flavors of that which it is prepared and the method. I prefer mine grilled with just some salt/pepper. I also like to cook it over some wood chips I find every now and then to throw on my grill to give it a slightly smoked flavor. YOU could email me and I can give some more ideas for tilapia! It really is wonderful tasting when prepared certain ways.
  • 1aprilaries
    1aprilaries Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Tilapia....umm umm umm. I usually put a lil olive oil in the pan & sprinkle old bay blackening seasoning on them tell they start to stick- then add a lil water & put a lid on it. The Mrs Dash garlic & herb seasoning is good too.
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    Tilapia makes beautiful fish tacos!
    I also like to cook it with dill and lemon with some garlic salt. The dill kicks butt on tilapia!!

OOOH! Love love love fish tacos/quesadillas! I actually made whole wheat pasta tonight but most nights I eat something taco related lol

HAHAHA!! Were you my twin in a different life?? I love anything mexi related- and it is so easy to convert it to something healthy- shoot, add cilantro and cumin and Im good to go LOL!

it's such an easy go-to! Lately, and this is sooooo gooey delicious oh my god good, I've been putting a sunny side up egg in a high fiber wrap with some reduced fat cheddar, salsa and fresh peppers. OMG! You have to eat it fast though but it's so so so yum.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Tilapia does have a distinctively 'fishier' flavor than some other fish, however, you CAN combat that to a degree by thawing it in a shallow covered pan of milk. The milk will pull some of the gamey flavor out. Then discard the milk, season it with whatever you please and cook however you prefer. My mother used to do this when I was younger to get the rest of the family to eat fish (it never bothered me) but I can definitely tell the difference when this has been done.
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have never been a fan of Tilapia--it has a weird dirt aftertaste to me. Orange roughy is usually similarly priced and I like it a lot more.
  • carpediem3
    carpediem3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Baked-Tilapia/Detail.aspx

This is by far my fave recipe for tilapia. It's delish & not fishy in the least... :)
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    my recipe for tilapia

2 pc fish
    1tbsp light olive oil (just enough for non stick... and a touch of good oils... use spray if you want to skip it)
    a shake of salt to your needs/liking
    fresh ground pepper
    a dash of ground red pepper if you wish
    a touch of powdered garlic if you like it

get the oil & seasoning hot in a pan and lay the fish in it cook till flaky.. 3-5 min each side.

i avoid cooking lemon w fish... if u like it squeeze it on after cooking like a condiment.
    i avoid other pungencies like fresh garlic & onion.

tilapia is best served lightly seasoned so it remains delicately flavored...

same goes for orange roughy and other light fish
  • minkusbunny
    Options
    whoever said dill is right on the money, i love dill on any kind of seafood, grilled with olive oil, a lil bit of salt & pepper, lemon juice if you prefer that too. yum! tis the season to grill as well. ;)

another recipe that's very healthy (and SUPER DELCIOUS) is an afro-brazilian fish stew called moqueca de peixe. usually it takes a white fish like swordfish or halibut, but tilapia works well, too. i guess it just wouldn't be as authentic but low cal moqueca won't be anyway bc authentic moqueca calls for dende (palm) oil, which is very high in calories and saturated fat. first you saute onions, red peppers, and tomatoes (add the tomatoes last) with olive oil, garlic, ginger, and chiles. then you add (light!) coconut milk, fish stock and let it simmer for about 10 minutes, add the fish (i put a little salt on it but it's not necessary) as well as some shrimp and cilantro and cook for just a few minutes more, until the seafood is cooked, probably about 5 minutes or so. then serve, spritzing lime juice over the dish, and garnishing with scallions and more cilantro. it's one of my favorite dishes, i only wish i could cook it more often. unfortunately, my dad doesn't like it >_< so it has to be a day he isn't around for dinner. it's usually served over rice or with this brazilian manioc flour polenta type dish, but to keep it low call i'd probably go with whole-grain rice or skip it completely. i don't think the dish is lacking without it. enjoy! :)

also if you were worried about the fat in the light coconut milk it doesn't really need that either, although i find it's a million times better with the coconut milk. Overall i think it's a healthy dish with tons of flavor!

here's some nutrition facts of a moqueca with just shrimp: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calories.asp?recipe=821182, for reference. halibut or tilapia would def add calories, but it would still be a low-fat, high-protein meal.
  • vmalatino
    vmalatino Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I soak in milk for about 15 min...that seems to help with the fishy taste!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    fish tacos - marinate the fish in some olive oil, lemon and/or lime juice, salt and pepper for 15 min. - cook in a non stick pan.
  • jcran
    jcran Posts: 1
    Options
    I did Tilapia in a chinese veggie mix tonight and it took most of the dirt fishy taste out and was very low in cals. Get the birds eye bag of veggies in the frozen food section and use the Tilapia instead of chicken or beef. I just thru it on the stove in a pan and grilled it a bit with a little EVOO then mixed it in with the veggies in a wok. Not bad!
  • ekmbradley1982
    Options
    I baked tilapia last week, just put it in a baking dish and drizzled with olive oil, added salt and pepper and dill and squeezed a little lemon. it was really good, I added more lemon to mine after it was cooked.