Losing that first pound

Options
Hey guys I am having trouble losing weight. I have been tracking my foods for over two weeks now and I dont seem to be losing anything. I exercise 7 days a week and I am mostly good with my tracking but I cant seem to lose the weight. I seem to be gaining weight instead. I have seen better results when I was working out only 3 days a week tracking my food. So I thought 7 days should get me great results. I am very discouraged right now and need to find a way to make this work for me. I wanted to lose 5 pounds by my bday on may 1st but that dream seems very far away now. What do you guys think is happening?

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight, you aren't in a deficit. The extra exercise may be making you more hungry, and you are overcompensating. It is also possible that you are over estimating your exercise calories. If you are eating them back and you are overestimating by say, 100 calories per session, you were eating an extra 300 calories before, and 700 calories now (example only, obviously I don't know your actual numbers or routine).

Crack down on your logging. If you are "mostly" good with your tracking and gaining weight, you are eating more than you think. Weigh all solids with a food scale, measure all liquids. Log every bit and bite. Eat back half your exercise calories and see how it goes for a month.
  • ghettosaf
    ghettosaf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise have you been doing and for how long?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Kimo0590 wrote: »
    Hey guys I am having trouble losing weight. I have been tracking my foods for over two weeks now and I dont seem to be losing anything. I exercise 7 days a week and I am mostly good with my tracking but I cant seem to lose the weight. I seem to be gaining weight instead. I have seen better results when I was working out only 3 days a week tracking my food. So I thought 7 days should get me great results. I am very discouraged right now and need to find a way to make this work for me. I wanted to lose 5 pounds by my bday on may 1st but that dream seems very far away now. What do you guys think is happening?

Do you measure your food on scales?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    It took me six weeks before I noticed a loss, but I had a lot of weight to work with.
  • Kimo0590
    Kimo0590 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am doing 21 day fix for 30 mins a day. And I dont have a food scale I am looking to invest in one.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am doing 21 day fix for 30 mins a day. And I dont have a food scale I am looking to invest in one.

You're not losing weight because you're eating more than you think.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    are u eating back all of your exercise calories? what is your daily calorie intake?
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight then you're either overestimating your calorie intake from foods. Also if you're new to working out then you can be retaining water for muscle repair. Are you eating back your exercise cals?

I suggest you get a food scale so you can be more accurate. Also take measurements as weight do fluctuate depending on your intake ...sodium, water, etc.

Good luck
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you are most likely eating more than you think, and exercising less that you think.

invest in some measuring cup and a food scale. weigh and measure everything.
  • be_here_now
    be_here_now Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    To echo what everyone else said, you're not eating in a deficit if you're not losing weight. End of story. Food scales, measuring cups, etc. Those help. You have to log correctly in order for logging to work at all.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Do you log all of your work outs on here and go by the calories it says you have burned? I've found that MFP tends to overestimate calories burned, so if you are going by MFP then chances are you aren't burning as much as you think. Might be one reason you are not eating at a deficit and not losing weight.
  • jmagdalena707
    jmagdalena707 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

I would get a scale right away. They are worth their weight in solid gold if you are trying to lose weight by calorie counting. You can get one for under $15 to get you started.

• Kimo0590
    Kimo0590 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh ok then I admit I have probably been eating more than I am logging and starting today I will be reallt serious about logging and measure everything. Its my ttm this week so I hope that I can contrain myself when those hormones kick in. Wish me luck and thanks everyone!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Not in a deficit. Best 15$ you'll ever spend.