"Fad Diets"

Options
PEOPLE SHOULD TRY THEM IF THEY WANT!!!! NO TWO PEOPLE ARE THE SAME. WHAT WORKS FOR ONE PERSON, MAY NOT WORK FOR ANOTHER.

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Then do it.
  • ayannabayer
    ayannabayer Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Then do it.

Lol I don't want to. I'm just saying that people act like its criminal to do them & they shouldn't.
  • rosaphene2
    rosaphene2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I imagine you will probably get some strong responses to this

I agree that what works for some may not work for someone else as we are all different

Fad diets can work short term, however they tend to cut out essential food groups and you lose valuable nutrients so could do you more harm than good.

If you are wanting long term results then you need to make a lifestyle change
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    However what works for one snake oil salesmen seems to work for an entire industry of diet experts.
    But I digress, yes you should be and hopefully are in a country where you are free to learn things in the manner you see fit.
    After all pain is the best teacher.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Then do it.

Lol I don't want to. I'm just saying that people act like its criminal to do them & they shouldn't.

If MyFitnessPal had a mission statement, one of things at the top of the list would be that the community is opposed to fad diets. That's just the way it is.

Many of the veterans here have spent years, decades even on the yo-yo of fad diets. So they get their hackles up. But it's all meant in people's best interests.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Oh u have the fun posts! Lucky for me since im stuck in bed sick its great enertainment. Certain fad diets are extremely unhealthy and can lead to health concerns or eating disorders ( ive seen it) so please it should be carefully considered.
  • ayannabayer
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Then do it.

If MyFitnessPal had a mission statement, one of things at the top of the list would be that the community is opposed to fad diets. That's just the way it is.

Many of the veterans here have spent years, decades even on the yo-yo of fad diets. So they get their hackles up. But it's all meant in people's best interests.

Exactly. But it'd be better if the veterans could give me knowledge on their personal experiences. No headaches.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    Then do it.

Exactly. But it'd be better if the veterans could give me knowledge on their personal experiences. No headaches.

That's exactly what they are doing -- giving you knowledge based on experience. That that knowledge is that fad diets are a ripoff that don't work may bother you, but it doesn't alter the truth.

From your SCREAMING OP here, it doesn't sound like you want knowledge based on experience. Sounds like you want to learn for yourself, the long, hard, frustrating way. So, er. Good luck with that.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I am really tired of seeing stuff like "We're all different!". That may be the case, however, we are the SAME SPECIES! If we were all so "vastly different" then things like modern day medicine and surgery wouldn't work.

I'm not going to make fun of someone for choosing to do some "fad diet", but i most definitely assume they are doing so because they haven't taken the time or don't care enough about proper nutrition to learn how the body works. It's ignorance that would lead someone down the path of fad diet territory. In those cases i do take the time to enlighten them and encourage them to research and learn for their own sake.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    From detoxing to fad diets. Lovely. Why are you screaming.

You do realize that people putting the ideas of such things down are offering sound advice based on experience and knowledge of what actually works and is healthy?
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Please stop creating threads!
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Can't tell if a good troll.......

Or just very young.....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When you post

You should also read

Because poster after poster has given you information and advice

But you're the one living your life, you deal with it how you can...don't expect support and approval from those who have already found success for your fads though ...just do them, and good luck to you
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    Have you tried the sugar rush diet ? I think the idea is to eat lots of candy so you run around like a mad person for hours burning calories up then take a nap. It's today's hottest fad.
  • ayannabayer
    Options
    Oh u have the fun posts! Lucky for me since im stuck in bed sick its great enertainment. Certain fad diets are extremely unhealthy and can lead to health concerns or eating disorders ( ive seen it) so please it should be carefully considered.

I understand. Like I've said. I'm not personally requesting to do one. I'm just interested in others experience
  • Camo_xxx
    Options

I understand. Like I've said. I'm not personally requesting to do one. I'm just interested in others experience

It seems obvious to me but maybe it needs to be said, Most people have tried at least one, probably many fad diets in their time. But if they are on MFP obviously the fad diet ended unsatisfactorily or else they would not be on MFP. So the vast majority of views on MFP will be that fad diets fail and MFP is what is working for them. Think of it as walking into a church full of Christians and asking about witchcraft spells or love potions. You are not likely to get a positive dialog started in that scenario. Stomping your feet and having a temper tantrum insisting that they discuss witchcraft the way you want them to isn't going to work.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I give the people here credit for caring enough to try to steer people away from diets that are silly or flat out dangerous, even if their advice comes off as blunt as opposed to sugar-coated.

Personally, I don't care what you do.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    1370089813991344.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m4ef187QBD1rwngbxo1_500.gif