"Fad Diets"

Options

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    PEOPLE SHOULD TRY THEM IF THEY WANT!!!! NO TWO PEOPLE ARE THE SAME. WHAT WORKS FOR ONE PERSON, MAY NOT WORK FOR ANOTHER.

Be sure to report back your successful results - let us know how it all worked out for you.

HINT: it won't.

• TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "everyone's different" and "what works for one person" are for people who don't know enough information. Noone should try a fad diet unless they like doing unhealthy things(in most cases) scientifically unsound and or unsustainable things. If that or experimentation is your thing then do it. Most people don't want to be guinea pig in an experiment. We are not "all different" ...we're the same....our mitochondria all work the same. All of our processes are(unless diseased) the only thing different is the rates at which they work.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    PEOPLE SHOULD TRY THEM IF THEY WANT!!!! NO TWO PEOPLE ARE THE SAME. WHAT WORKS FOR ONE PERSON, MAY NOT WORK FOR ANOTHER.

Be sure to report back your successful results - let us know how it all worked out for you.

I think it's important to encourage people to learn and better themselves. If she does something that doesn't work, I think she'll realize pretty quickly. Sometimes its necessary for people to fail on their own (i know it was for me when i thought only men should be lifting weights and i didn't want to be "bulky") to learn. Sometimes it takes repeated failure to have that revelation of "Ah, maybe i should really research this topic and learn as much as i can".

Feel free to give support/criticism, but theres no reason to be just plain mean. ;P

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    CICO15 wrote: »

Another "it's my way or the highway" response.

CSB, care to share your progress pictures based on fad dieting? Including the before weight loss, after weight loss, and after reinstating normal consumption patterns?
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Can't tell if a good troll.......

Or just very young.....

OMG this works so well!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9_amg-Aos4

:D
  • Nyappykim
    Nyappykim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    mokaiba wrote: »

Oh my gosh, I'd never be able to get any work done because I'd be too busy laughing at how ridiculous I must look.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You're wasting everyone's time when they could be helping people who genuinely want good advice.

You only want people to tell you what you want to hear.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I give the people here credit for caring enough to try to steer people away from diets that are silly or flat out dangerous, even if their advice comes off as blunt as opposed to sugar-coated.

Personally, I don't care what you do.
    +1

OP, go do the fad diets and detoxes and learn for yourself what happens since you're not listening/hearing anyone who's done them and not telling you what you want to hear.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Multiple mean person threads from one person ... on EASTER!!

"Some men you just can't reach" -- make Strother Martin's quote gender neutral and it applies to so many on MFP.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Seriously OP, if you don't want to hear any negative opinions, why do you even ask for opinions at all?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Then do it.

Lol I don't want to. I'm just saying that people act like its criminal to do them & they shouldn't.

If MyFitnessPal had a mission statement, one of things at the top of the list would be that the community is opposed to fad diets. That's just the way it is.

Many of the veterans here have spent years, decades even on the yo-yo of fad diets. So they get their hackles up. But it's all meant in people's best interests.

Exactly. But it'd be better if the veterans could give me knowledge on their personal experiences. No headaches.

That's exactly what they are doing -- giving you knowledge based on experience. That that knowledge is that fad diets are a ripoff that don't work may bother you, but it doesn't alter the truth.

From your SCREAMING OP here, it doesn't sound like you want knowledge based on experience. Sounds like you want to learn for yourself, the long, hard, frustrating way. So, er. Good luck with that.

For those keeping score at home, here's this OP's box score ... it's one lemonade detox thread, one detox turned smoothie thread, a fad diet question thread ... all with the same advice provided to the OP ... now a mean person and a fad diet, try them if you want even when science and experience of others show them to be foolish or something like that rant in the span of a couple of hours.

• Danixkm
    Danixkm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Fad: "an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived; a craze."

Short lived craze with short lived results (and often dangerous) I'm guilty of trying plenty in the past and they really don't work in the long run.
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    MAYBE THE NEW FAD DIET IS SCREAMING ON THE INTERNET. There, I burned 5 calories...now I can eat a cupcake.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Amerielle wrote: »
    MAYBE THE NEW FAD DIET IS SCREAMING ON THE INTERNET. There, I burned 5 calories...now I can eat a cupcake.

Maybe 1/2 a jellybean
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Go for it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

:noway:
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Then do it.

Lol I don't want to. I'm just saying that people act like its criminal to do them & they shouldn't.

If MyFitnessPal had a mission statement, one of things at the top of the list would be that the community is opposed to fad diets. That's just the way it is.

Many of the veterans here have spent years, decades even on the yo-yo of fad diets. So they get their hackles up. But it's all meant in people's best interests.

Exactly. But it'd be better if the veterans could give me knowledge on their personal experiences. No headaches.

Um I seem to remember distinctly going out of my way to give you said "knowledge on their personal experiences"...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10128206/the-rapid-pulse/p2

You failed to mention that or the fact I tried to be "POSITIVE" as you had already stated the "Negativity" was not to your liking. But I guess it isn't worth mentioning that at all, just your grievances. I bet you didn't even bother to read the links that I provided.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    OP, you're free to try any diet you choose. Who knows? Maybe one will work for you.

For me personally, having controlled my weight since 1978 (and having been overweight since 2003), the ONLY thing that has EVER worked long-term (meaning more than a month) has been CICO. That doesn't mean one "fad" or another will work for you. But I think a lot of us have tried all the All You Can Eat of Only Food Category X diets, and the Eat In Only These Combinations diets, and Working Out Will Absolutely Offset Overeating diets, and for a huge percentage of us, they just didn't work.

But yes. You can try whatever you want. Anyone can.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Of course people can do whatever they want.

But that doesn't mean people who have done the same things can't try to save them their time, money and effort.