"Fad Diets"

Options
13»

Replies

• tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy, but I prefer being told the truth from people who know what they're talking about.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    If any of these "fad diets" actually worked then why isn't everyone slim and trim?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    If any of these "fad diets" actually worked then why isn't everyone slim and trim?

I think some of them work, at least for fat loss in the short term. They are just not sustainable and don't educate people on how to keep weight off long term.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

That generalises to "dieting" though ....
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    And I have the right to lolcats at somebody paying outrageous amounts of money to fall flat on their face. If when that happens.

If you post in a public forum, you will get responses you do not like. These forums are completely mild and actually full of people who do want to help. You might not like their message. You might not light their method. But you did, in fact, ask. You cannot dictate the responses of others.

Fads are fads, they don't typically have high success rates, those that do find success usually find it very short lived. That is why there are * all over fad diet claims. Results are not typical, or sustained. That actually IS the reality of most peeps doing fad diets.

The End.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    "everyone's different" and "what works for one person" are for people who don't know enough information. Noone should try a fad diet unless they like doing unhealthy things(in most cases) scientifically unsound and or unsustainable things. If that or experimentation is your thing then do it. Most people don't want to be guinea pig in an experiment. We are not "all different" ...we're the same....our mitochondria all work the same. All of our processes are(unless diseased) the only thing different is the rates at which they work.

eZKQqVq.gif
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I'm proud to be FLAG NUMBER 5

4ku6pe36qfp1.jpg

• trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    74e.jpg
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I personally think people should have a choice in the matter. Yes, people should be informed about them being unnecessary, but ultimately I don't see anything wrong with that since most of them are pretty short (3 days to a week).

When my mother travels to visit her parents every year she always comes back about 10 pounds heavier, diets down back to her normal weight in a couple of weeks using an extreme diet, and stays at that weight till next year. She has done it every since I remember and it's working for her, so who am I to tell her otherwise? She has been around the same weight for all of her adult life.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • flab2fab760
    flab2fab760 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I am really tired of seeing stuff like "We're all different!". That may be the case, however, we are the SAME SPECIES! If we were all so "vastly different" then things like modern day medicine and surgery wouldn't work.

Rainbow - we are the same species but we are not the same! If we are all the same then there would be no allergies!

We may be born with the same organs so the "surgeries" would work but our genetic make up makes us the same species, different!

I can eat all the dairy I want but my friend can die if he consumes it...still the same species, but different!

I can eat all the gluten I want, but my friend Andrea goes into severe allergic reaction when she consumes anything with gluten...still the same species, but different!

I prefer to walk for my exercise because I hate running, but my friend Jordan will only run...same species, but different!

I am allergic penicillin and sulpha based medicines, but my brother is not...same species, but different.

That is why what definitely works for one, may not work for another! A person doing South Beach may work for them, but others may not for the reasons I described above...same with paleo...etc.

I don't like to eat raw tomatoes but my mom eats them off the vine. I like raw celery but don't like cooked celery...others are completely opposite. It's all what works for them!

How boring boring would it be if we were all the same!?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I personally think people should have a choice in the matter. Yes, people should be informed about them being unnecessary, but ultimately I don't see anything wrong with that since most of them are pretty short (3 days to a week).

When my mother travels to visit her parents every year she always comes back about 10 pounds heavier, diets down back to her normal weight in a couple of weeks using an extreme diet, and stays at that weight till next year. She has done it every since I remember and it's working for her, so who am I to tell her otherwise? She has been around the same weight for all of her adult life.

I think this is true, and don't really care if people want to use them this way (or what other people do at all). My issue with fad diets and why I post in threads about them sometimes is that they are usually based on insulting and nonsensical claims about why they work (special foods or combinations of foods that are "fat burning" or allow you to eat as much as you want magically or some such). I think those deserve to be debunked because knowledge and facts are always better. Extreme diets or fad diets often do work in the short term (or for people like your mother who just gain a few lbs in a situation and want to lose it and go back to normal), but only because they create a significant calorie deficit.

People wanting so badly to believe that there's a way they can lose without the deficit or thinking that they won't lose without getting the right combos of food are, I think, generally harmful so I think they should be argued against. That doesn't mean there aren't people who do short term extreme diets understanding what they are doing (and that it wouldn't be such a great idea for someone with lots of weight to lose or who doesn't yet understand how to eat a healthy diet).

I also find most fad diets kind of insulting, so get why others are bugged by them (the moronic fashion approach to food discussed in the other thread is one such example).