Foam roller

Options
dianna1286
dianna1286 Posts: 37 Member
edited April 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been looking into using a foam roller. Any advise or tips?

Replies

• benjam2421
    benjam2421 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    13 min guide on foam rolling
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khC5J1lkC7s
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I love mine. It was recommended by my doc for making my muscles supple to fix knee pain. The one I have cost £15 on amazon. Worth it.
  • dianna1286
    Options
    benjam2421 wrote: »
    Great video. Thank you for the help!

• dianna1286
    Options
    I love mine. It was recommended by my doc for making my muscles supple to fix knee pain. The one I have cost £15 on amazon. Worth it.
    Great thanks for the input!
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've only ever seen one other guy use one at my gym, I always get stares when I'm using them but foam rolling is awesome! Wish I took mine from home!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    They work wonders! They are definitely worth the investment.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I adore my foam roller, but what I really love is the rumble roller at the gym. Must get one for home soon.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use a foam roller at the gym, but we just use the medicine ball at home - requires a little more grace but works equally well. The "rumble roller" - is that the one with the nubs all over? I tried that one day - felt like a torture device, lol ... not sure if that means it was doing its job or I was doing it wrong. :)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I love mine, worth getting one.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Got mine at "Five Below" for 5 bucks.

Foam rollers are AWESOME.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I use a foam roller at the gym, but we just use the medicine ball at home - requires a little more grace but works equally well. The "rumble roller" - is that the one with the nubs all over? I tried that one day - felt like a torture device, lol ... not sure if that means it was doing its job or I was doing it wrong. :)

That would be the rumble roller. Nothin like it to really get in there
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Start slowly! At first it was too painful to even roll for me. Listen to muscle, let the pressure sit on trigger point until you can feel it relax.

I have both the rumble and black roller. I also made a massage device for glutes, back and shoulder areas with an old sock and two dense balls (knot between).

Here's two other videos that I found helped me a lot in the beginning:

Foam roller exercises with Dr. Peter Percuoco
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBxjD4aSI18

Gluteus medius rehab with Dr. Peter Percuoco (great for back pains)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDRURiy7Zx0
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    This was very helpful! I'm glad I peeked into this thread! I'm not doing nearly enough with the foam roller at the gym ... and I'm also not hitting quite the right spots, as I suspected. Thanks for the thread, OP, and for the videos.
  • dianna1286
    Options
    Thank you everyone I will definitely be ordering a foam roller today!
  • Katus130
    Katus130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I adore my foam roller! It's important to start off slowly. It will probably hurt a little but it really shouldn't have you in tears.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I love my foam roller, even though it can be painful at time. It is one of the only things that helps my muscles after running. Those videos look really good. It's pretty straight forward really. Just roll the part of your body that is sore and focus on any really knotted parts
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Use a foam roller for expansive areas and for smaller tight spots I use either yoga tune up balls or tennis balls. Just place on the sore spot, lie down and roll around on it. The foam roller has a hard time getting into the nitty gritty spots in your delts, glutes, etc.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like the spikey one. The plain roller doesn't even feel like anything anymore to me.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the videos really good.