My experience with bulletproof coffee

Options
amusedmonkey
amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
I have been curious about this lately, and finally decided to try it today. I did not buy any overpriced ingredients, just used regular coffee, store bought regular butter, and coconut oil that was pressed yesterday! (we have a friend who operates a small oils business and has an industrial oil press - fun fact: it takes about 3 hours to produce one bottle of coconut oil if you want to extract as much oil as possible).

Anyway, I had 1 tablespoon of each butter and oil and blended them with the coffee. I don't have a coffee maker because we don't drink that kind of brewed coffee nearly as much to justify it. We mostly either drink instant or turkish. I do have one of those pour-in coffee cups with the whole in the middle where you put the filter and the coffee, so I used that.

I was a bit skeptical so I started with a very small sip. OH MY GOD! It tasted just like a latte, only richer, with a nice layer of foam on top. I continued to sip away, but only made it halfway through my 350 ml (12 oz) coffee cup. It made me a bit queasy so I stopped. Waited a bit, but the coffee was starting to get cold and a small layer of fat started forming on top. I chugged the rest in, felt even more queasy. I guess being used to drinking only black coffee I don't have enough tolerance for that much richness at once.

Tried to note my hunger level and my alertness. I was indeed more alert, but that's only because I don't drink coffee often so my caffeine tolerance is not great. As for hunger, 2 hours later I was hungry. It did nothing in that department.

Takeaway: It's not worth the calories to be a daily thing since it does nothing for me in terms of hunger and would be cutting too much into my calories for nothing, but I loved the taste. I will be making it again, probably with half the ingredients.

Fun fact: Homer simpson invent a variation of bulletproof coffee in 98

"Homer: Oh Marge! How could you let me let myself go like this?

Marge: Me? I’m not the one that puts butter in coffee."

8zqsk4huxazw.jpg

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    So that's where the bulletproof coffee idea came from! It all makes sense now. :p I tried it also and it didn't keep me full either. I do have a little (!/2 tsp) of coconut oil in my coffee when I am in the mood for a richer coffee. Note most people only use one table spoon of either butter or oil. You were probably queasy from using 2 tablespoons.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    The tutorial I saw online said 1 tablespoon of each :(
    Thank you google. NOT!

• amusedmonkey
    Options
    Update: I had heartburn that lasted all day long yesterday, and I don't get these often. Hopefully reducing the portions will come with less side effects next time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The correct amount IS 1tbs each of coconut oil and butter
  • kkarcher94511
    kkarcher94511 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this ever became a thing and you're probably best off staying away from the idea. Have you seen the CNN interviews of the proprietor, Dave Asprey? He is fairly out of shape, seems very sickly and lethargic AND has to stay on Provigil just to function daily......Not sure how he ever became somebody we should follow for health advice.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not a coffee drinker. I make a bulletproof hot chocolate.
    Chocolate protein powder
    1 raw egg
    1tsp coconut oil
    1tsp butter
    Top up with boiling water, and mix with a hand immersion blender
    I can't handle a TBS of each. I don't drink it for any so called benefits, I just like the taste. It makes the creamiest, yummiest hot chocolate I've ever had.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Yeah I mainly did it because people said it tasted great, and it really did! I thought to myself if it tastes good AND blunts hunger, then it's going to win a spot on my daily menu. Unfortunately it turned out not to be a winner.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I think Bullet Proof Coffee only blunts hunger when combined with a Ketogenic diet. I do consume about one BPC per day and it does help me with both hunger and craving control.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    I think Bullet Proof Coffee only blunts hunger when combined with a Ketogenic diet. I do consume about one BPC per day and it does help me with both hunger and craving control.

But then again doesn't a ketogenic diet reduce hunger by default? It does make sense in a ketogenic setting though, since it's high in fat and would help with the macros, and personally one of the very few things I would enjoy consuming if I were to attempt the diet (although doubt I will again).
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    All that oil+caffeine has me thinking that BPC must make bathroom proximity a factor.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Fats aren't satiating for me (tastiness aside), but coffee can help a lot with suppressing appetite.

I think if I was in the mood for a calorie-bomb coffee, I'd just visit a Barista.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The mct in BPC would boost ketone levels in a ketogenic diet, might be why some drink it for breakfast.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    All that oil+caffeine has me thinking that BPC must make bathroom proximity a factor.

No this has never been a factor.... Nor have I ever heard that this is an issue.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Options

But then again doesn't a ketogenic diet reduce hunger by default? It does make sense in a ketogenic setting though, since it's high in fat and would help with the macros, and personally one of the very few things I would enjoy consuming if I were to attempt the diet (although doubt I will again).

I like to drink BPC with my 20 ounce Rib Eye....
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    If you're not in the habit of consuming coconut oil, you should slowly ramp yourself up to as much as you had in one coffee. It's a natural laxative, and if you don't have a tolerance to it, it's going to let you know it's there. Next time you try it, if you haven't incorporated coconut oil into your daily cooking, I would recommend starting at about half that, if not less.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    If you're not in the habit of consuming coconut oil, you should slowly ramp yourself up to as much as you had in one coffee. It's a natural laxative, and if you don't have a tolerance to it, it's going to let you know it's there. Next time you try it, if you haven't incorporated coconut oil into your daily cooking, I would recommend starting at about half that, if not less.

I had no "toilet issues", but the heartburn was sure unpleasant. I don't know why I forgot that I get heartburn when I consume too much fat with not enough carbs during the same meal. Maybe I could have it after oatmeal or something next time.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this ever became a thing and you're probably best off staying away from the idea. Have you seen the CNN interviews of the proprietor, Dave Asprey? He is fairly out of shape, seems very sickly and lethargic AND has to stay on Provigil just to function daily......Not sure how he ever became somebody we should follow for health advice.

Based on what should she stay away from it?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Just because he took a recipe people were already using, gave it a name, and started marketing it, doesn't mean he invented it or that people drink it because he said so. That's like saying nobody should use any kind of gelatin because Bill Cosby did ads for Jello.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've read about it in runners magazine. A lot of the runners swear it allows them to not get as hungry on a really long run. Maybe extended exercise w the fat helps reduce hunger?
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

No this has never been a factor.... Nor have I ever heard that this is an issue.

A friend of mine is doing the Ketogenic diet and decided to try BPC. He was indeed tied to the toilet for about 24 hours afterward. Ended up missing his workout at the dojo that night.

Now you've heard of it. ;)