Running equals sore legs?? Help

Options
Recently (and by recent I mean the past two days) I've tried running. I've always been afraid of running because I have a bad knee from an accident years ago. I've noticed my knee becoming stronger and now running isn't too bad. So the upper part of my thighs have been sore, when I get up in the morning it's almost a chore to get going. My question is do I push past the pain or do I take a break? A day or two?

Replies

• DaveyNH
    DaveyNH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Definitely take a break especially if you are early into your running. As you continue it will get easier and you will know your limits better.
  • Damien_Damien
    Damien_Damien Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Look into Couch 2 5K. It's a beginner's running routine that you do three days a week, alternating between walking and running. Definitely don't run every day if you're just beginning; your muscles need time to rest and heal.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Agree with above. Run every second or even third day when starting out. Make sure to stretch beforehand.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Make sure to stretch beforehand.

No don't stretch before running. Have a 5-10 min quick walk warm your legs up then have a little stretch or bum kicks or knee raises or just start running then when you are finished you can have a stretch. Never stretch cold muscles you are asking for trouble.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Look into Couch 2 5K. It's a beginner's running routine that you do three days a week, alternating between walking and running. Definitely don't run every day if you're just beginning; your muscles need time to rest and heal.

^^ this.

Great suggestions, don't push it and think long term not short term. Check out http://www.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line

Also, if you want to invest in injury-free running, make sure you have good shoes. By good I mean shoes designed specifically for running, not worn out, and appropriate for how you land (like, over or under pronation) -- ideally, go to a running specialty store and letting them fit you, or there are some online stores like Road Runner Sports where associates will have a lengthy and detailed conversation with you about how you run and your goals and potential problems, and will recommend a shoe.

I hope you do continue, running can be very rewarding... :)
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    DeeTee68 wrote: »

No don't stretch before running. Have a 5-10 min quick walk warm your legs up then have a little stretch or bum kicks or knee raises or just start running then when you are finished you can have a stretch. Never stretch cold muscles you are asking for trouble.
    Now I am not an expert but why would every workout video have stretching beforehand if it causes injury? Honestly just curious always looking to improve
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Agree that a rest day is needed between running days when first starting out. C25K is a good program to check out.

Also, have you had your shoes checked? If you can, go to a running store with your current shoes. They'll be able to give you advice. I know when to change my shoes because my legs start to feel heavy and tired when running. There are always days where legs will feel heavy but if its consistent, it may be your shoes.

You may also be running too far and/or too fast for your physical state. It takes a few weeks for all of your systems (muscular, circulatory, breathing) to get into sync with each other. One or more will be weaker than the rest at first. A running plan or program (C25K or another) will help you over this time without injury.

Two days isn't enough to determine what the problem may be. Try slowing your pace down a little bit and taking a rest day between running days. See if that helps.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    When I started on running, I did a run/walk routine. I'd run as long as I could, then walk for a short bit, etc. Eventually I could run the whole time. Granted, it wasn't a long distance. But I say pace yourself. When I started running seriously, I'd gotten a few injuries and pains (that seemed to move around) and when those hit, I'd just get on the elliptical for crosstraining. It's easier on just about everything and then my rest day would follow that so by my next run I felt way better.

My runs also improved by a MILLION times when I got real running shoes and out of the Nike's I bought at Kohl's.

I also stretch before every run. :confused: My runs are okay if I don't get a chance, but they're really good when I do.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I agree with people above. Take it easy and it will get better. I am getting back into running and my thighs were very sore to start with . Build up slowly and you should be ok. Try running "long" once a week and shorter a couple of times. Warm up and cool down and stretch your legs after you have run. For me the cooling down (just walking a few minutes) and stretching (less than a minute) after makes a really big difference. Good luck and keep going :-) Also have you got decent shoes ? They can take some of the impact away which could help your legs :-)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Now I am not an expert but why would every workout video have stretching beforehand if it causes injury? Honestly just curious always looking to improve

Don't stretch beforehand. There is no evidence that suggests it will do anything positive and plenty showing that you may cause injury - its my experience as well. I've pulled muscles running but only when I've streched before. He you want to stretch, do running drills instead :-) run for 5 minutes which warms you up and then do knee lifts or heal flicks. You can stretch after you have warmed up but from what I can tell as long as you are warm and have not injury you are nursing the stretching won't do anything anyway - what is far more important is the stretch after. Running doesn't cycle your muscle though its full range of movement so they tend to contract a little, stretching returns them towards their pre-run condition. I'm guessing stretching doesn't do much before the run because they haven't contracted though running - what is more important is that you warm them up and warm you up beforehand. thats my opinion anyway.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favour and use a running plan. Maybe C25K.

Take it slow. Don't run through pain.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I rotate between running for 20 minutes or adding 20 minutes to my cycling. When I rotate back to running my upper thighs are always sore. I assume that I use muscles that I don't usually use. I just keep running, it only lasts a day or two. For me, though, it's just sore and not pain.
  • Dianardh
    Dianardh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Also, try soaking in warm Empson salt bath after
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Oh man I remember when I first started running! I wasn't used to using those muscles...and I got so much muscle pain, and thought it would always last...I kept improving, so I kept pushing myself, which meant that I often had sore muscles once every couple weeks for the first 4-5 months. Then it got better and better - now I get sore muscles when I get back to running after a cold or a break of a few weeks, or when I do exercises I've not done before - and new muscles get worked out. Welcome to your muscles! Learn them - feel them - get to know what causes what kind of soreness. (What you have is likely what folks refer to as "DOMS" - it will go away in a few days.) I also echo those who recommend C25K (which means.... [from the] Couch to [running] 5 kilometers).
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a while and I still don't run on consecutive days. I need at least one day off to feel sorry for myself! Listen to your body. If you ever feel like crap (muscle ache, cold, flu, etc), don't exercise.

x
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Great advice above. Definitely don’t push too hard while your body is still getting accustomed to it. My two cents:

1. Stretching really helps - I do it after running only, as I think I was told it’s best you don’t stretch your muscles when they aren’t warmed up.
    2. Make sure you’ve got the right shoes for you - I recommend you have someone at the Running Room or the like fit you, based on your stride and mechanics.
    3. Strength training can be beneficial for a runner - I say this because I’ve had IT band pain and knee issues in the past, until I started doing weight lifting. This of course depends on what you can do with your knee, you know your situation best, and definitely consult a physician or physiotherapist so you don’t do any harm.

Best of luck - take it slow and steady and you’ll find your stride before you know it :smile: .
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You'll want to get on a plan that has you alternating running/walking and eases you into the sport. Couch to 5K is the one most people use, and I've never read any complaints! Just gotta take it slow and steady with plenty of rest days :)
  • snvierra
    snvierra Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you everybody for the great suggestions. I will definitely take each and everyone's words of wisdom.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

Seriously glad that I stumbled on this thread.... I just recently started to stretch before running. Now I notice my hamstrings are tightening up. This makes total sense now! I was wondering why I never had issues before. Here I was trying to keep my body limber by stretching and I think I actually injured myself instead. Interesting. Thanks MFP! I will carry on with my no stretching as I have for the past year. :)
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    If I don't stretch just a little before running I get groin/hamstring pain after about 30 seconds of running. So I stretch before running.

30+ years of running and no injuries -- I think it'll be fine. Do what works for you.