Completely Frustrated

Options
someone help me compute if you can. I started this in January and for the first 3 or 4 weeks I just concentrated on diet. I was doing well losing a lb or two a week. then in February I added stronglifts my weight loss slowed at first and one week I didn't lose anything but at the end of February I was down 19 lbs. I added on three days a week walking doing to C25K program but at a slower rate (ie. if a week is particularly difficult for me I might go through it twice before moving to the next week. I also lowered my calories about the same time by about 100 per day since mfp suggested I recalculate.

Well I have averaged the same weight for the last month. Sometimes it drops a couple of lbs sometimes it raises but overall I'm stuck at that 19 lb mark. When I measure myself (the places that mfp lists) I'm showing no change in size.

So that seemed like a clear case of doing something wrong...EXCEPT. I have a pair of low rise jeans that 3 weeks ago I could barely get up over my rear and were at least an inch from being able to button... I'm wearing those jeans as I type this. I got them to fasten for the first time last week. So apparently I still lost something somewhere.

So has anyone experienced or heard of a situation like this because it's really taking the wind out of my sails and I'm starting to not want to keep on since for the most part I can't measure my progress. This is the smallest pair of jeans I own at present so... yeah the best I could do if this keeps on is guess if they're continuing to get loose I guess.

Replies

• aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When you weigh in, weigh in at the same time of the day under the same circumstances. For me, it's first thing in the morning after I have used the restroom, before getting dressed and having anything to eat/drink. Weight does fluctuate daily based on many different circumstances. You've added a lot of exercise, so your muscles may be retaining extra water to help recover.

Are you weighing your foods on a scale? If not, you may be eating more than you think.

If you are able to wear those jeans, you are clearly losing inches. I measure once a month and take pictures.

In February, I stayed between 153 and 156 the entire month. But when I took pictures and measurements at the end of the month, there was a noticeable change. I was also able to wear smaller pants I was previously unable to wear.

The scale is not the best tool to measure your progress because of the many different circumstances that affect weight, many out of your control. Don't give up yet. I know it is frustrating, but your body is changing for the better. We're the last ones to see it because we see ourselves every day, so we adapt to the changes.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I think if you're fitting into pants you couldn't button before, you're doing great!

You may be losing fat but gaining muscle from weight training, which would explain why the number on the scale isn't moving but your belt is!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    We put way too much emphasis on those stupid scale numbers, yes I do too :relaxed:
    Sometimes it just takes the scales longer to catch up with what our bodies are doing.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The jeans measurement is so much better than the scale! Congrats! Also, see if maybe your scale needs new batteries.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When you weigh in, weigh in at the same time of the day under the same circumstances. For me, it's first thing in the morning after I have used the restroom, before getting dressed and having anything to eat/drink. Weight does fluctuate daily based on many different circumstances. You've added a lot of exercise, so your muscles may be retaining extra water to help recover.

Are you weighing your foods on a scale? If not, you may be eating more than you think.

If you are able to wear those jeans, you are clearly losing inches. I measure once a month and take pictures.

In February, I stayed between 153 and 156 the entire month. But when I took pictures and measurements at the end of the month, there was a noticeable change. I was also able to wear smaller pants I was previously unable to wear.

The scale is not the best tool to measure your progress because of the many different circumstances that affect weight, many out of your control. Don't give up yet. I know it is frustrating, but your body is changing for the better. We're the last ones to see it because we see ourselves every day, so we adapt to the changes.

I generally weigh myself on Saturday mornings. I've weighed in between this last week but again it's staying at the same weight most of the time.

I do weigh my foods at least 95% of the time unless it's pre-portioned. Occasionally I may get in a hurry and forget to weigh some veggies or fruit before I pack it for work. If I guess I guess higher than what I think I ate. I also overestimate how much butter/oil I use. For instance if I add a tbsp of butter to the corn I made for all four of us even though I eat less than 1/4 of the corn I will log it as 1/4 tbsp ( I do verify tbsp by weight). I don't eat back my exercise calories and most days I leave about 100 calories uneaten. Also a lot of days I log something that I only had half of but I leave it logged like I finished it.

I need to take pictures again. Apparently I am either not measuring properly or not measuring the area I lost in but I agree I lost some inches or there's no way I would be in these jeans. I haven't been able to fasten them for more than a year.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Can you open your diary?

It's open now.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Options
    Jgasmic wrote: »
    The jeans measurement is so much better than the scale! Congrats! Also, see if maybe your scale needs new batteries.

I agree on the pants size it's just I don't have a smaller pair of pants to judge future progress and would prefer not to buy one till I go down two more sizes. I didn't think about the batteries. It probably could use new ones.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    You look like you're weighing your food, good job. Go with the tape measure and forget the scale. Additionally, remember, when adding exercise, you will retain water, which will mask weight loss.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just noticed my once ultra tight jeans getting baggier and baggier until they didn't fit me anymore because they were too big. No need to buy new ones until your current jeans are too big for you
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Options
    You look like you're weighing your food, good job. Go with the tape measure and forget the scale. Additionally, remember, when adding exercise, you will retain water, which will mask weight loss.

Thanks any tips for getting accurate measurements?

• Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Th3Ph03n1x wrote: »

Thanks any tips for getting accurate measurements?
    Consistency is key for me. I can be an inch higher on the thigh and have a very different reading.