Paying Attention to Dairy

Options
weehah
weehah Posts: 81 Member
Just curious about if you try to limit your dairy. It doesn't make me feel congested or anything, but I wonder if it hinders my weight loss, even if I'm staying within my calorie limit. I rely quite a bit on hard-boiled eggs, 2% Fage plain Greek yogurt, an occasional bowl of cereal or oats with milk.

And I eat 2% yogurt instead of fat-free because it fills me up for longer.

Thoughts welcomed!

Replies

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with dairy barring medical conditions. If you enjoy it and it fills you up have it. As long as you stay within your calorie goals you will succeed.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I eat 10% fat Greek yoghurt, from Greece. Lots of cheese too. Which element of "dairy" do you think might be a problem
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It will not hinder your weight loss as long as you remain in your limit. If it doesn't make you feel sick then you should keep eating it if you want to
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    but I wonder if it hinders my weight loss, even if I'm staying within my calorie limit.
    Huh?
    Why?
    How?
    I rely quite a bit on hard-boiled eggs.
    Eggs aren't made from milk, they aren't dairy.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why would dairy hinder your weight loss if you are eating within your calories?

I usually eat a couple servings of dairy/day and have lost fine. I don't react badly to it at all, so it's an easy way to up my morning protein and something I can eat soon before a workout unlike lots of other foods.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    If dairy impedes on my weight loss I dont know how. I have lost 22 lbs in 2 months and I eat lots and lots of cheese.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've read dairy is the devil on quite a few weight loss sites. My guess is the authors are either allergic to it or believe it is fattening or unhealthy?? Oh and there's that classic "milk is meant for baby cows, not people" :huh:
    Op I have 600ml of milk in my morning cups of tea alone. I also have yogurt and cottage cheese most days. I've lost weight just fine :smile:
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I avoid it because it's easier to stay within my calorie goals if I do.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I avoid it because it's easier to stay within my calorie goals if I do.

I've experienced the exact opposite. When I eat dairy I feel a lot fuller, and I'm less likely to snack. When I eat dairy it's much easier to stay within my daily limit.

• Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 8lbs and 12.5 inches in 8 weeks and I rely a lot on Greek yogurt & cheese as snacks. I especially love marinated string cheese as a snack. As long as you aren't lactose intolerant, I don't see why you should have to avoid it if you like it and it is helping you get to your goals. Just make sure you accommodate for the calories and the fat in your macros.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    adamitri wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with dairy barring medical conditions. If you enjoy it and it fills you up have it. As long as you stay within your calorie goals you will succeed.

This. Goes for all foods/food groups.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Bye bye dairy products. I am going dairy free. I love cheese, yogurt, milk...but I can't handle them. Taking a month off of dairy.
  • ana3067
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    but I wonder if it hinders my weight loss, even if I'm staying within my calorie limit.
    Huh?
    Why?
    How?
    I rely quite a bit on hard-boiled eggs.
    Eggs aren't made from milk, they aren't dairy.

nom1.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Bye bye dairy products. I am going dairy free. I love cheese, yogurt, milk...but I can't handle them. Taking a month off of dairy.

Cant handle them how? What happens?

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I binge eat cheese. One ounce of cheese is nothing. I literally can't have it in my house any longer. Too many calories for now.

I will review my weight loss in a month, and might bring back yogurt.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I binge eat cheese. One ounce of cheese is nothing. I literally can't have it in my house any longer. Too many calories for now.

I will review my weight loss in a month, and might bring back yogurt.

You can eat more than an oz of cheese. I can easily eat 80g of cheese in a day. Which is almost 3oz.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I love dairy! Cheese... Pudding.. Yum lol. I've lost over 50 lbs eating dairy
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I watch my dairy intake only because I prefer the taste of almond milk for cereal & coconut creamer for my coffee over regular milk. It keeps my calories in check too.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I grew up without milk because my mother rarely bought it. Only recently have been eating dairy: full fat (10%) Greek yogurt. :)
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do have cottage cheese and greek yogurt because I love them and will accept the extra carbs involved. I prefer almond milk over regular milk so that saves my carb count there as almond milk has less carbs and I go through alot of almond milk with oatmeal at breakfast and protein shakes through the day. Cheese tends to bind me up, so I avoid it. I can take it or leave it anyway so it isn't a sacrifice for me. It's simply a macro issue for me.