skinny ***** book

Options
I'm reading it currently and I have been absorbing alot of the information. Was wondering what others got from this book? I don't want to become vegeterian but it sounds like while reading this book, we have no choice? Feedback please..

Replies

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'm reading it currently and I have been absorbing alot of the information. Was wondering what others got from this book? I don't want to become vegeterian but it sounds like while reading this book, we have no choice? Feedback please..
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    You can read the book for its entertainment/sensationalism value and take its advice with a grain of salt. Where else would you see a diet book recommend a "big-*** hunk of melon" or a "****-load of grapefruit" for breakfast. That's why the book sells, not because it's practical advice.

"How the Rich Get Thin" by Jana Klauer is much more practical and better for weight loss.
    Another good title is "Thin Tastes Better" by Stephen Gullo.
  • mkatzb3
    mkatzb3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I read it and some of the information is factual and interesting. On the other hand it also tells you to eat when your on the point of "starvation." We all know for people trying to lose weight that leads to overeating (or at least in my case :blushing:) I follow some of the food menus they provide but if you actually take a look at some of the "snack food" that is ok, the calories and trans fat is really high!!!
  • jawaria
    Options
    to be honest the book sucks! Unless you are a strict vegan or vegetarian it's not realistic or practical! i mean seriously they even say milk is bad...so as i said unless ur a vegan it's a load of crap! just my opinion!
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    i thought it was a terrible book, friend bought it and i skimmed through it :noway:

was very in your face and very bit**y!! 0/10! :ohwell:
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    A book of a similar tone but FAR smarter and more practical is How to Eat Like a Hot Chick.

It's fun and has a lot of common sense. The philosophy of the book is basically "chocolate cake for breakfast, spinach for dinner."

It's only diss towards meat is that not every dish has to have it, and not to put sausage on pizza and omelets.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If you look at the authors' credentials...well, there aren't any. It's just two random women trying to push vegetarianism for political/emotional reasons. They have no idea how the human body works. Would you go to a librarian to get the transmission in your car fixed? No. So why go to people with no education in nutrition/dietetics/physiology to ask them to fix your body?
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    Exactly, songbird!

Jana Klauer's book is my favorite. She's THE Park Avenue diet doctor... top notch in both medicine AND marketing.
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    The best way to deal with these kinds of people:

FOR EVERY ANIMAL YOU DON'T EAT, I'LL EAT THREE!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    The best way to deal with these kinds of people:

FOR EVERY ANIMAL YOU DON'T EAT, I'LL EAT THREE!!!

n31207658_31876310_5564.jpg

:bigsmile:

That was my Facebook pic for a while hahah!
  • chrisesha
    Options
    While I am not a vegan myself, there is nothing absurd about that type of diet. It is the "for every animal.." mentality that should be taken with a grain of salt, not attempts to approve the lives of oneself, animals and the Earth as a whole!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    While I am not a vegan myself, there is nothing absurd about that type of diet. It is the "for every animal.." mentality that should be taken with a grain of salt, not attempts to approve the lives of oneself, animals and the Earth as a whole!!!

It's just a joke. I'm not going to eat a Toucan, and certainly not a Koala Bear. :bigsmile:
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

It's just a joke. I'm not going to eat a Toucan, and certainly not a Koala Bear. :bigsmile:

Aw come on, I hear they are great with a little wasabi.
    (And, yes, I am joking--who eats Toucan?):noway:
  • Phoenixflame
    Options
    Well, I had a kangaroo steak once. It was delicious. A koala wouldn't be out of the question! :happy:

But no, I do not mock vegetarians/vegans, only the ones who shove their mentality in my face. I don't point out that tons of critters died in the fields during the harvest that provided the noodle house's tofu, so I don't appreciate it when I'm told that the thing I ate once looked up at a farmer and sweetly mooed. No duh, and I'd eat it anyway.

Haha, I was just joking earlier anyway. Skinny ***** just has no legitimacy, a Sex and the City ripoff style of writing, and poor recipes, all on top of being written by a pair of trigger-happy vegans.
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I found it to be impractical, although the parts about refined and synthetic sugars are something I've always AGREED with, but not necessarily followed. I agree that Splenda tastes like something that should cause cancer and I think the amount of hormones and chemicals we ingest in our foods has a direct correlation to cancer in america. I wish wish wish I could avoid these chemicals and hormones, but I do not have the funds nor the time to devote to this. Instead, I do the best I can.
  • yellow_pepper
    Options
    I'm not saying that vegan diets should be taken with a grain of salt. But that book should be! A piece of fruit for breakfast. A big bowl of greens for lunch. I'd feel like s*** if I did it. And, yes, I did try!

No, there's nothing wrong with being a vegan. But you probably won't get far if you work with a lot of people who aren't vegans. Unfortunately, the way we eat is an important part of "fitting in" - in more than just our clothes!

A healthy middle might be being a vegetarian! And even that's not necessarily healthier than eating meat. I knew vegetarians with health problems before they graduated from high school! They ate a lot of processed foods.

To each, her own!