Does anyone else exercise for stress relief?

Options
I'm going through some major life stress right now, and I've probably quadrupled my walking/jogging as it's the only thing that helps. Does anyone else do this in times of stress? Have you found anything that really reduces stress, like a certain pace or weightlifting? Or is it only cardio that works for you?

Replies

• aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I'm mad or stressed about something, I tend to work harder at my cardio. Exercise isn't my go-to however and I'm trying to change that. Of all the things you could be using as stress relief, I think walking/jogging is an excellent choice :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Sure. I like a good dead lifting session for stress. Cardio-meh. I hate it so I can't really say, but I do usually feel better after doing some if I've been sad or stressed.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I exercise everyday and while I'm not doing it specifically to relieve stress, it is definitely one of the added benefits to doing so. I would have to say that doing HIIT type workouts is better for relieving stress on days when I've had a very hectic day at work.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I exercise to stop panic attacks in their tracks. Usually works... usually.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Cardiosuits me better for stress relief, but exercise in general is good. I can focus and be quite aggressive with the pace. It kind of takes a lot out of you and you don't have the energy left.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Cardio is like a lifeline for me right now. I lift and do a lot of yoga, which I adore, but nothing touches cardio, as its hugely beneficial for elevating my moods. That said, it doesn't always work. In the past when I was suffering from major stress and anxiety cardio did help me cope, but it really couldn't help. The only thing that helped was eliminating what was causing my stress.
  • LeaMacdhai
    LeaMacdhai Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes. I am anxious by nature and exercising helps.
  • TheKidd2013
    TheKidd2013 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    walking is my go to but when Im super stress I weight lift more than normal as well and double up my work outs
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    If I've had a bad shift at work, I'll smash myself at the gym. If I'm angry I run. Hard. There is nothing more relaxing than a good long run
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yoga is my favorite when I'm really stressed. Weight lifting helps reduce my overall stress amount and I know that days I don't lift I'm a bit more grumpy.
  • fit4lifemom
    fit4lifemom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    high intensity cardio usually works for me. I wish I could use exercise more as my main stress relief. Sadly, sometimes it is still chocolate. Exercise makes me feel so much better for longer.
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I find exercise of pretty much any variety does a great deal to ease the burden of stress on the mind and body. From what I've read cardio is typically the most effective for most people but any exercise has an impact. Deep relaxation exercises can be an enormous help, too, if you add can them into the mix. However, exercise should take priority. I'm speaking as an experienced meditation enthusiast there!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Nothing does as much as lifting does for me. Trying to use cardio for me just leaves me feeling empty and drained. But when I'm having a bad day, the absolute focus on form that lifting gives me has me leaving the gym with a massive weight off my shoulders
  • darcie_dierlam
    Options
    I'm going through some major life stress right now, and I've probably quadrupled my walking/jogging as it's the only thing that helps. Does anyone else do this in times of stress? Have you found anything that really reduces stress, like a certain pace or weightlifting? Or is it only cardio that works for you?

Lift weights, man, yoga, cardio
  • 11ivan11
    11ivan11 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Most definitely .....soccer , running, and swimming are my stress relievers. ...
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Definitely. A major stressor/frustration seems so much less significant after a good run. I also find that running at least 20 mpw (I average 30-40 while training) keeps me in a good place mood-wise. When I'm not running much (or at all) I get very grumpy and ragey.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting, conditioning, muay thai and bjj are my methods of training. They do help to relieve stress but sex is much more effective IMO
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    And I quote:
    "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands, they just don't."
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I love a good trail run to de-stress. It wears me out in a pleasant way while letting me focus on nature, something that has always been personally (and, luckily, professionally) satisfying.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! Working out is my stress relief! It does wonders!