Does anyone else exercise for stress relief?

Options

Replies

• DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I also use exercise to manage anxiety and mild depression. Works better than any pharmaceutical and even the literature bears this out. *That said, treatment for anxiety and depression should always be discussed with your physician.*
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    And I quote:
    "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands, they just don't."

I like it
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    And I quote:
    "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands, they just don't."

I've had two major deaths in 51 weeks. I currently spend anywhere from six to 10 hours a week at the gym. I've cried in yoga, I've cried on a bike, I have yet to cry in power lifting but I'm sure it will happen. It gets me in pants on the weekend when all I want to do is sit around the house in my pajamas, staring at the TV, and finishing off that bag of chips. Right now it's the best place for me to work out some feelings and I'm grateful for it. I totally agree that the endorphins have been helping and it has at least saved some relationships (and possibly lives).
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Definitely use it for stress relief and mood management, yup. Cardio more than anything - doesn't matter what mood i'm in when i start, it's always improved by the end.

For any kind of resistance or bodyweight stuff, i prefer to be in a positive or neutral frame of mind to start out with, and also to be more mentally present and have some minimal amount of energy. because it takes more concentration. i try hard to attend to form.

Swimming is really great for relaxation, i find. i like evening swims (can't do them right now, but looking forward to going back to that). only thing with that is the annoyance of dealing with chlorine/changing etc.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    And I quote:

I've had two major deaths in 51 weeks. I currently spend anywhere from six to 10 hours a week at the gym. I've cried in yoga, I've cried on a bike, I have yet to cry in power lifting but I'm sure it will happen. It gets me in pants on the weekend when all I want to do is sit around the house in my pajamas, staring at the TV, and finishing off that bag of chips. Right now it's the best place for me to work out some feelings and I'm grateful for it. I totally agree that the endorphins have been helping and it has at least saved some relationships (and possibly lives).

About a year ago I lost a parent, a job and my health in quite short order. Yoga kept me sane- I totally feel you on this whole post.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am. Actually I get pimple on my face whenever I take too much stress and exercise is the only thing that keeps me healthy and cheerful.
  • heathbilly
    heathbilly Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    EVERY DAY
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I'm going through some major life stress right now, and I've probably quadrupled my walking/jogging as it's the only thing that helps. Does anyone else do this in times of stress? Have you found anything that really reduces stress, like a certain pace or weightlifting? Or is it only cardio that works for you?
    My kickboxing class at my gym is frequented by people who are in high stress positions. Something about being able to hit a bag as hard as you want that makes the difference for them.
    You may find that people who are regular exercisers have less stress levels than many of their peers that don't and so they don't "see" stress the same way. I'm hardly EVER stressed out and am much more enthusiastic/optimistic on a daily basis than others that have jobs that are long on the clock.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dgva888
    dgva888 Posts: 4
    Options
    Yup same here, but sometimes it's not enough.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,632 Member
    Options
    Hitting the weights is far better than hitting another human.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yoga by far saves my sanity. It's changed me so much on the outside as well on the inside. I focus on my breath while practicing and ignore all other thoughts and I'm left feeling spent and happy with a clear head at the end. It's life changing. I don't do the yin and slow paced stuff but an all out kick butt vinyasa class. I don't find much stress relief from the gym because I've done it so long plus people in the gym annoy me by leaving weights on machines, texting while sitting at a machine, doing bicep curls while standing in the squat rack...the list goes on.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Yup.
    Particularly when I have to travel to China. Always a month at a time. Don't always have a pool to swim depending of whether it is Shanghai or Hangzhou. One office is .0.5 from a pool and 5km swim after day. The other , no pool, but on the 20th floor and 3.6 miles from corp apartment. So 7.32 miles walking and 20 floor up and down 2x times a day.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    And I quote:

Why I am before going home tonight... because today... man...
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Anything works for me. A good long run, lifting or yoga are usually my go-to's.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm a therapist and I always try to get my clients to try exercising to help decrease anxiety and depression. Research shows that moderate exercise for at least 30 minutes a day is as effective at treating mild to moderate depression as an antidepressant. Intense physical activity is also an excellent way to stop panic attacks and bring anxiety down.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I exercise to keep depression in check. I can tell when I miss a few workouts because I start to get really edgy and crabby. Something about a heart pumping sweat session with loud music in my ears that makes things all better!!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I've been having a lot of bad anxiety lately and the only time I feel normal is while I'm working out. I don't do impromptu workouts to reduce stress - I do what I planned on doing in the first place, but it's my "me time" and I enjoy it...even the cardio.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    Yoga, stretched and balanced class or walking all reduce my stress levels.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    High intensity when angry or frustrated to let those feelings have a productive outlet. Walking is a great allround stress reliever. Yoga, meditation or foamrolling for relaxing muscles and mind.

Seriously, if they could bottle the effects exercise has on the body and mind, that pharmaceutical company would be rich.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Yes. I used to hate going to the gym but now I look forward to it. I would wake up everyday, go to work, and spend the whole day anticipating going to the gym. I'd get to the gym, work out for an hour to an hour and a half and afterwards feel so happy and content. I decided I didn't want to wait all day to feel like that so I've been waking up at 5:45am to go to spin class on top of going after work ! Wonder how long this will last lol