How do I get excited for the gym?

Options
hello, my name is Rachel and I'm 23 years old. I am not overweight but I am getting pudgy for my height and I want to do something about it before it gets out of control.

Here are my two biggest problems in weight loss and general fitness:
1. I hate going to the gym. I feel self conscious and I don't know how to use half the machines. I have been attending classes (Zumba, strength and conditioning, etc...) for 2 weeks (that's a lie, I went every day for one week and only went once this past week).
2. I love junk food. I like healthy food too but junk food is so much more accessible for me. I ate so healthy when I was going to the gym but I'm pretty sure I ruined any progress this week because I had a few beers and tons of junk.

My questions are:
How do you keep yourself from eating like a cow?
How do you get excited about the gym?

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    In regard of eating, two things. First, don’t set a weight loss goal that’s too aggressive: it’s better to start off with a plan you can live with. It should’t make you miserable or take all the fun out of life :smile:. Second, I still have snacks and such if I feel like it, but I budget my calories to allow for them. It helps me to eat a ton of protein (120-150g) to feel full, so I’m less likely to go for snacks. Good balanced meals can leave lots of wiggle room for treats or snacks.

In regard of going to the gym, three things work for me.
    a. Workouts I enjoy: for cardio, I like running or the rowing machine to keep things interesting. For strength, I get super excited to see if I gained strength and can lift more than the last time.
    b. Music: building playlists that get me pumped is a huge help, especially for running. I can get easily bored otherwise. I’ve been loving dance/techno/house lately. So upbeat!
    c. Gear: this is pretty silly, but buying a bunch of really comfortable and awesome workout clothes / shoes helped motivate me to stay on track with my workout goals. I also feel guilty if I don’t use it after having spent so much money.

Hope any of this is helpful. Keep looking for workouts you can enjoy, I think it’ll be a lot easier. Maybe get a couple of sessions with a trainer to get the hang of things. I’m a broken record, but recommend free weights over machines any day. However, machines are a good place to start if you’re more comfortable with that.

Oh, and some people like having workout buddies. Not my thing, but it’s something to consider.
  • slantmaster
    slantmaster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you had a physical lately? If not I think you should definitely go in and ask for the doctor to do a general health check. Important things to check for: diabetes, thyroid issues, etc. Once the common culprits of sudden weight gain are ruled out, I would ask- why is it do you think you've been gaining weight lately? Have you always been an active person? Have you never been very active but you just never seemed to gain weight? Ask yourself these questions.

A lot of excess weight is either caused by physical problems with our body, or psychological/mental health issues that need to be ironed out. If you've suddenly been stressed, or had changes in your life that might have caused stress, really assess your mental health. I only point this out because I struggled with anxiety and depression for a long time, and now that I'm being treated for it I have a lot more energy and actual motivation to exercise. The main thing is- why are you gaining weight? Is it overeating? Bad food choices? Figure it out and try to curb it.

Most people who have no motivation to go to the gym don't have motivation because they don't have energy-- and how do you know you don't have energy if you've never had it before? It does get to a point in my experience where working out is not a chore- you look forward to it. Even if it is painful at first, the endorphins and adrenaline kick it and that should MOTIVATE you to work out. If that's not the case, if it doesn't happen for you--- this may be chemical and need to be corrected! And again with the food habits- if you are experiencing stress and are eating out of emotional eating (using food to make yourself feel better) this may also be linked, believe it or not, to parts of your brain that are not working.

Again it could be a whole host of things so for sure get checked out by the doctor. If I did not have motivation to work out (aka energy), I wouldn't work out because it would feel like torture. It's not about discipline. If working out and eating less/right isn't working for you, realize there may be problems going on besides just what you are doing! Seek to figure out what might be going on elsewhere in your body/mind/life!
  • rbonvie566
    rbonvie566 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I do have anxiety but am on a medication for it. I haven't had sudden weight gain, I graduated from college a year ago and just gained 20 lbs over the four years and I just don't want it weighing me down anymore!

I will definitely try to keep going to the classes and practicing lifting the weights and doing squats.
    I do enjoy the feeling I get from working out and how awesome I feel after I go to the gym. My problem is that I enjoy sitting in bed and playing around on my phone or laptop more.

Going to make a kickass pump up playlist for the gym to see if that helps me.

Great advice, thanks!
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    rbonvie566 wrote: »
    I will definitely try to keep going to the classes and practicing lifting the weights and doing squats.
    I do enjoy the feeling I get from working out and how awesome I feel after I go to the gym. My problem is that I enjoy sitting in bed and playing around on my phone or laptop more.

That is totally understandable. It’s not often that I genuinely *want* to work out. I do my best to have the discipline to get myself to do something I don’t want to do. Much like cleaning my apartment lol. It’s hardest to just get started. I kind of go on auto-pilot, get myself out the door, and go through the motions. Once I start my workout I realize I enjoy it and I’m glad I pushed myself.

Good luck, and you can absolutely do it :smile:
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I want the results more than I want the food. I just make the choice. Tbh considering the amount of exercise, then it gives me he option to eat a lot extra.

Sometimes / a lot of the time im not excited by going to the gym, but I understand its a means to an end. I chart my progress and remind myself im increasing my speed, endurance and strength. This contributes to y overall health as well as weight loss. I dont complain about exercise i just get on with it. One of the things id suggest is know your routine, so you know what you are doing when you get there and not wandering around aimlessly.

Music helps a lot.
    Eventually you will feel you fit in and be comfier.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    A strong coffee and a snack usually do it for me.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Listening to music that motivates me beforehand (in the car on the way to the gym) really helps.
    I love cute workout clothes and shoes. They are an investment, but if I'm comfortable (and feel good) I tend to be more motivated to work out.
    Pack your snacks! I always pack healthy snacks with me so I don't end up in some random drivethru.
    Eliminate the junk food in your house. This way you're not tempted to eat it. Find healthy snacks that you actually like.
    Start logging food faithfully. Once you know how many calories are actually in that favorite junk food you're probably going to think twice about eating it. my downfall is breakfast burritos but at 980 calories I can rarely justify that indulgence. I want to lose weight more than I want the burrito.

Anyhow, those are some things that motivate me. Hope this helps!
  • atlrox2285
    atlrox2285 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps but my dad gets a lot of secondhand weights from friends and Craigslist so he basically has his own custom gym in our garage. He gets a bunch of cheap stuff and it saves the cost of going to the gym, (its saved him a bunch of money on gym memberships) plus the social anxiety of people watching you work out. It took him awhile but it's cheaper and makes it easier for our whole family to work out.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary to be excited about the gym/working out. Some times we have to do things we don't really want to do. It's just part of life. If you can find something you like to do, that's great. Personally, when I'm not into a work out, I just tell myself I can be uncomfortable for a few minutes and enjoy the rest of the day.

I agree with the auto-pilot comment... Many days, I don't realize I've got my running shoes and I'm out the door til I'm down the road!
  • JonKinarthy
    JonKinarthy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Tie going to the gym with a non-food activity you enjoy. You only get to do it after the gym. It can be anything, watching a movie you like, having sex, listening to a favorite album, going to the beach, anything. Do that for a few weeks, and you will have associated the gym with pleasure in your brain, and you can stop restricting yourself to only doing the thing you like when you go to the gym. Your pleasure at going to the gym will remain.

You can even tie the gym to a food-related pleasure, but recognize that you probably won't lost any weight during the time you are building the link. But going to the gym provides other benefits than just calorie burn, and links created through the senses (smell/taste working here) are much stronger. So if the first way doesn't work, consider the second.

Good luck!
  • mmonaghan99
    mmonaghan99 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My advice is to find something you love doing! If that's zumba, running, swimming, kickboxing, lifting, whatever it is, stick with it! You also don't have to go to a gym to work out! Go for a hike, or take a dance class! Anything active counts. For me, I enjoy cardio classes like zumba and kickboxing, I like yoga, but I REALLY love lifting, and that motivates me to go back.

Also, things don't have to be all or nothing. You said that your second week didn't count because you only went once, which sounds to me like it totally counts! Instead of going every day and then slacking, make a point to go a few times a week at first. And if you want junk food, have some! Either let yourself have a cheat day every once in a while, or work a way to fit some chips or something sweet into your daily budget. For me the biggest thing has been learning to let go of the black or white approach. I used to feel like if I ate a cookie, my day was shot, but that's not really the case. If you eat some junk food, then you ate some junk food. Having treats interspersed with a balanced diet is totally fine!

Find something you love, and don't beat yourself up too much!
  • omelet2000
    omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you have stress - going to the gym can actually be nice and distracting. I have a daily podcast that I listen to and don't have any other time for it. The gym hour is my time to relax.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For the first three months, I MADE myself go to the gym. After that it became a habit that I really miss if I'm away for more than a day. Now, I'm in the gym three days a week, and on a home workout during the weekend when they are closed. Make a plan to do an hour once a week, then move it to two, then three. It'll become a habit in your life, and you'll soon notice how much better you feel on those days after you go to the gym. Prepare to endure the soreness (DOMs) that will come with doing new exercises, and enjoy the higher energy, lower stress levels, and better presence of mind that will also come with it.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'd set a smaller manageable goal. My initial goal with working out was to work out every day for at least 30 minutes, whether doing cardio, yoga or weights. A bit later it became 60 minutes every day (barring illness or injury of course). Then it became to exercise every day for a month. Currently, it's to exercise every day for three months- my goal is to make it become a habit.

The thing that keeps me going is how I feel after a workout. I LOVE the way it lifts my mood. The other thing I enjoy is the mental challenge of assessing where I am today and plotting out my goals in yoga/weights/cardio and making plans to achieve them. It's just fun all round.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Like a previous poster I allow myself to watch tv while on the machines.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    rbonvie566 wrote: »
    hello, my name is Rachel and I'm 23 years old. I am not overweight but I am getting pudgy for my height and I want to do something about it before it gets out of control.

Here are my two biggest problems in weight loss and general fitness:
    1. I hate going to the gym. I feel self conscious and I don't know how to use half the machines. I have been attending classes (Zumba, strength and conditioning, etc...) for 2 weeks (that's a lie, I went every day for one week and only went once this past week).
    2. I love junk food. I like healthy food too but junk food is so much more accessible for me. I ate so healthy when I was going to the gym but I'm pretty sure I ruined any progress this week because I had a few beers and tons of junk.

My questions are:
    How do you keep yourself from eating like a cow?
    How do you get excited about the gym?
    One word: COMMITMENT. When you really have it, the rest isn't that hard once it becomes habitual.

If you're doing it occasionally, it's always going to impede progress.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rbonvie566
    rbonvie566 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Downloaded a playlist of songs that will get me amped to workout. I love the comment about only getting to do something (watch a movie, listen to music, go shopping) if I go to the gym first. I think that could totally work for me. I am also going to invest in some cute workout clothes that may help me feel like I need to go.

Thanks for the advice!
  • GymBard
    GymBard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Getting a workout buddy is a definite help (accountability partner and you can feed off of each other's enthusiasm)
    ...BUT...
    The gym might not be for you...or running...or swimming. Doesn't mean you're never going to be in the gym, but it might mean that you need to find what it is that you can fall in love with and get excited about that. You might find you love kick boxing, and decide to hit the elliptical for some HIIT aerobics conditioning to improve your stamina in the ring instead of just "doing the machine" because that's what someone else says you should be doing. Find what you love and don't worry about fitting someone else's definition of what it means to be fit.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The food part is super tricky for me. I love with my boyfriend who loves junk food, so the temptation is always around! Like you said, I find it helps when I go to the gym because I don't wanna ruin all that work I did with unhealthy eating choices.

As far as getting excited for the gym, one thing that helps me is packing my gym bag the night before. Then I just grab it in the morning on my way out the door. That way I can't use the excuse of having to come home and change and then sitting my butt on the couch and never going. Music also helps me. I downloaded a free app called FIT radio. It's got tons of fun, upbeat mixes of all genres that are perfect for working out to and getting you pumped up! If you're really struggling, set up a rewards system for yourself. Make a small goal, like going three times in one week, and if you meet that goal get yourself a pedicure or buy yourself a new nail polish color. It can help motivate you if there's a little reward at the end. Just don't make it food related :)
  • crewbprice
    crewbprice Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had a coach that used to say it takes about a month to generate a habit. Whether there's any research behind that I don't know, but I can say for me it took a month of working out 6 days per week before it became a habit. Now, I wouldn't say I enjoy working out, but I like the way it makes me feel afterward, which in the beginning didn't feel like that. Some days I do enjoy it.

Music is big for me, Pandora has a workout station that generally has more upbeat songs. Choose faster paced songs, I hate when a slow song comes up on Pandora.

As far as eating, I just try to stick to the calorie goal on this app, if you are strict about logging I find you naturally eat less because you realize when you are close to going over the calorie limit for the day.

Don't know if this works for everyone, but it works for me.