My experience with bulletproof coffee

Options
2»

Replies

• burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Butter in coffee something new ? My uncle Erb (from the WW1 days) was putting butter,with huge amount of sugar in his coffee back in the 40s. Carpenter , thin as a rail healthy as a horse.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've read about it in runners magazine. A lot of the runners swear it allows them to not get as hungry on a really long run. Maybe extended exercise w the fat helps reduce hunger?

It's a dense source of calories. Running long distances requires lots of calories.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it didnt fill me up (i added
    30g of protein powder instead of coffee, so it should have given me a double whammy in that department, nor did it make me run to the loo.
    Next time i'll use the proper measurements of 1 tbs each of oil and butter and see what happens :p
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Bullet proof coffee is just an adaptation of yak butter tea which has been a staple in Nepal and Tibet for centuries.

The addition of MCT is just a marketing gimmick by the creator to profit on the idea. Others quickly replaced the MCT with coconut oil.

FYI... MCT is simply mid chain triglycerides made from stripping other chains off coconut oil by refining it. It's bro science at its finest.

Yak butter tea is a true delight, too bad yak butter is so hard to acquire but butter tea is also delicious. Youtube yak butter tea for more info.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Bullet proof coffee is just an adaptation of yak butter tea which has been a staple in Nepal and Tibet for centuries.

The addition of MCT is just a marketing gimmick by the creator to profit on the idea. Others quickly replaced the MCT with coconut oil.

FYI... MCT is simply mid chain triglycerides made from stripping other chains off coconut oil by refining it. It's bro science at its finest.

Yak butter tea is a true delight, too bad yak butter is so hard to acquire but butter tea is also delicious. Youtube yak butter tea for more info.

Gotcha covered: (courtesy of the youtube channel TasteMade)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za9sqEXC090
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Oooh, thanks for the video. That looks much tastier to me than BPC sounds.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    That tea looks delicious.
  • Camo_xxx
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Tibetan turned me on to yak butter tea many years ago.

You can find Puerh tea at a chinesse market or Amazon.
    Kerrygold grass feed butter is a good alternitive. Many major supermarkets carry it.
    A hand held blender works great.

*** I tried coconut oil when the bullet proof coffee craze started but it plays havoc with my guts. Butter for me thanks

9uukhk.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I already have Kerry Gold and an immersion blender in my kitchen.

I'll keep this in mind to try just for the experience of it.

Thanks!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    This tea sounds amazing! Sadly I'm not allowed to ship food items from Amazon to my country, so unless I happen to travel somewhere where they sell it I may not be able to ever know what it tastes like.. sad..
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    This tea sounds amazing! Sadly I'm not allowed to ship food items from Amazon to my country, so unless I happen to travel somewhere where they sell it I may not be able to ever know what it tastes like.. sad..

Unless you go to tibet Or nepal you will never really know what it is supposed to taste like.
    Puerh tea is sold world wide as it is a kind of popular tea. You are not likely to find it in cakes but it is widely available in some manner.
    But you can make butter tea with any tea you choose and it is still delicious.
  • rachelbairdhall
    rachelbairdhall Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Been having it for breakfast for the last week or so and I've found it to be really satiating. Its also really stabilised my energy levels and even powered me through my long run (20 miles) yesterday. I do 2 tbsp each of coconut oil and butter.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    That looks really good! And I have a French press