Gallbladder removal problems, anyone experienced something like this or similar?

Options
*please don't tell me to see my doctor, I'm currently having tests and scans done and am just looking for someone who can share their experiences after having their gallbladder removed*

I had my gallbladder removed 3 years ago. Since then I seem to be intolerant to EVERYTHING but not constant. For instance, some days I can eat chicken and stomach it but others I can't. It doesn't make sense but it definitely is affecting my day to day life. Sometimes I wish I never bothered having it removed as I was not aware of the risks after surgery. May I add it is so easy to gain weight, despite not stomaching some foods. I've been told the surgeon could have nipped a tube near my stomach which is a common occurrence during this operation but if only I was told that before!

Has anyone had any similar experiences after gallbladder removal surgery?

Replies

• SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    So what are your symptoms? Throwing up, reflux, diarrhea?

I had my gallbladder out 15yrs ago and now I have reflux.
  • sjdowhower
    sjdowhower Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i had my gallbladder out and then like 3 months later I ended up back in the hospital for about a week because I would still get gallstones and it got stuck. They had to go back in and get it out. They say it doesn't happen often but it can. I had that same pain before it came out certain foods were okay and depending how I cooked them certain things would be okay and then the next time would be horrible

Good Luck! Feel better soon.
  • jodiealgar
    jodiealgar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So what are your symptoms? Throwing up, reflux, diarrhea?

I had my gallbladder out 15yrs ago and now I have reflux.

All 3 at the moment! Throwing up is more rare than the other two though.
  • jodiealgar
    Options
    sjdowhower wrote: »
    i had my gallbladder out and then like 3 months later I ended up back in the hospital for about a week because I would still get gallstones and it got stuck. They had to go back in and get it out. They say it doesn't happen often but it can. I had that same pain before it came out certain foods were okay and depending how I cooked them certain things would be okay and then the next time would be horrible

Good Luck! Feel better soon.

That must be awful, I know how awful the pain is when one gets lodged somewhere. Thank you! I'm hoping they can work out what it is asap.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed 7 years ago.

The first 5 years, I don't think I had a solid bowel movement. Seriously. I also would get really bad cramps and have to run to the bathroom. It was a nightmare.

Now, I rarely have any sort of issues.

The difference is the amount of fat that I consume. I still consume ~30% fat everyday, but that's much much less than I used to. If I have a couple of really high fat days in a row, I will start experiencing symptoms again.

Now the only thing that still happens is some discomfort once in a while when I'm working out. If I bend over a certain way, my rib cage gets "stuck" in the spot where my gallbladder used to be (which is now an empty void). And sometimes when I'm running, that spot will start to ache. I think other organs have more room to shift around. It just feels strange.

TL;DR - assess how much fat is in your diet. You should be fine if you are at or under 30% daily (although YMMV). If you eat too much fat, it can cause more symptoms.

None of this supersedes a doctor's recommendations.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    They butchered me when they took mine out and then forgot to properly seal my common bile duct. By the time I was ready to go back to work, I had gone septic and went right back into the hospital. Missed a month of work in addition to the time I missed for the surgery and initial recovery. Damn doctors....

As far as digestion issues, it took a few years for things to really even out. I was like you, some foods would be ok one day and WHOOSH the next. One thing I noticed is that I can no longer go long periods of time without eating, because if I do, that first bit of food I finally DO get in, my body says OH SNAP, WE NEED SOME BILE, STAT!, and dumps a bunch of bile that gets to working so quickly, I'm lucky to finish the meal before having to rush to the bathroom.

I'm sure they told you that fat digestion will be the crummiest, so to avoid foods high in fat, but one thing they conveniently don't tell you is the timing of your meals has a serious impact on the way your body dumps out that bile. If you haven't tried this already, try paying attention to the timing of your meals. Next time you get sick off something you don't normally get sick from, stop and think, has it been several hours (like 8+) since your last meal? If so, you very well could be succumbing to the ever so fun bile dump. It sucks.

I also suffer from duct spasms, which they said is probably from a knick that happened during surgery. Feels like I'm having a heart attack or something. The best way I can describe it is intense pain that comes and goes, varies in the length of time it sticks around, varies in the length of time between spasms, but feels like a metal rod through my chest. It's debilitating, and when it happens, I've got to take a cocktail of drugs to ease the spasms. Sadly, the drug cocktail also renders me useless, so... more missed work! So much better than dealing with gallstones..... NOT.
  • sandyskw1967
    sandyskw1967 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Mines been gone for 5-6 years, the odd day I could have an issue with "running to the bathroom" with a meal. But all in all no issues.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Mine came out 11 years ago. I developed celiac shortly after removal. After going gluten free I was totally fine. I've read that gallbladder problems can sometime go along with celiac. (Not always though). Good luck.
  • jodiealgar
    Options
    They butchered me when they took mine out and then forgot to properly seal my common bile duct. By the time I was ready to go back to work, I had gone septic and went right back into the hospital. Missed a month of work in addition to the time I missed for the surgery and initial recovery. Damn doctors....

As far as digestion issues, it took a few years for things to really even out. I was like you, some foods would be ok one day and WHOOSH the next. One thing I noticed is that I can no longer go long periods of time without eating, because if I do, that first bit of food I finally DO get in, my body says OH SNAP, WE NEED SOME BILE, STAT!, and dumps a bunch of bile that gets to working so quickly, I'm lucky to finish the meal before having to rush to the bathroom.

I'm sure they told you that fat digestion will be the crummiest, so to avoid foods high in fat, but one thing they conveniently don't tell you is the timing of your meals has a serious impact on the way your body dumps out that bile. If you haven't tried this already, try paying attention to the timing of your meals. Next time you get sick off something you don't normally get sick from, stop and think, has it been several hours (like 8+) since your last meal? If so, you very well could be succumbing to the ever so fun bile dump. It sucks.

I also suffer from duct spasms, which they said is probably from a knick that happened during surgery. Feels like I'm having a heart attack or something. The best way I can describe it is intense pain that comes and goes, varies in the length of time it sticks around, varies in the length of time between spasms, but feels like a metal rod through my chest. It's debilitating, and when it happens, I've got to take a cocktail of drugs to ease the spasms. Sadly, the drug cocktail also renders me useless, so... more missed work! So much better than dealing with gallstones..... NOT.

I cannot even tell you how similar your experiences are to mine. I have a suspected damaged bile duct too. I've also had very uncomfortable chest pains the last few weeks and how you've explained them is the same as mine! I regret having my gallbladder taken out so much, I can't have a meal in a restaurant without fearing I'll be stuck in the public restroom for God knows how many minutes. So awful, I wish they made people more aware of the risks as two people I know have experienced this too!
  • Crystalnp1981
    Crystalnp1981 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 1 1/2 years ago. I was so sick when they removed mine that anything is better than what I was dealing with before! But since then I had to start taking a probiotic. It seems to help with the digestion and also with reflux issues. I do find that if I go a long time without eating I will be more likely to have reflux problems. I still have pain from time to time in the area where my gallbladder was, similar to what I had before having it removed. It usually happens after eating.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed 7 years ago.

The first 5 years, I don't think I had a solid bowel movement. Seriously. I also would get really bad cramps and have to run to the bathroom. It was a nightmare.

Now, I rarely have any sort of issues.

The difference is the amount of fat that I consume. I still consume ~30% fat everyday, but that's much much less than I used to. If I have a couple of really high fat days in a row, I will start experiencing symptoms again.

Now the only thing that still happens is some discomfort once in a while when I'm working out. If I bend over a certain way, my rib cage gets "stuck" in the spot where my gallbladder used to be (which is now an empty void). And sometimes when I'm running, that spot will start to ache. I think other organs have more room to shift around. It just feels strange.

TL;DR - assess how much fat is in your diet. You should be fine if you are at or under 30% daily (although YMMV). If you eat too much fat, it can cause more symptoms.

None of this supersedes a doctor's recommendations.

This is also my experience.
  • beachmom01
    beachmom01 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 2006 and I still have digestion issues. Sometimes it is fat content, sometimes it is the first or second meal of the day, sometimes I have no idea what triggers it...but I'm running for the bathroom and the reflux is a nightmare too. I'm sorry. I have seen numerous doctors over the years and no real answers except eat low fat and small meals.
  • hmthomas317
    hmthomas317 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 7 years ago. There are still foods that I am intolerant to that cause me to have to run off to the restroom after eating, but overall it has been a much better experience having it out. I was in so much pain before it was removed. I find that when I still to a higher protein, less carb and dairy diet I do much better. Good luck I hope you feel better soon.
  • AlethaC46
    AlethaC46 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had mine out at 18. I'm 47 now. I still have problems with cramping after I eat and needing to be close to the bathroom. It's not all the time. Mostly after I eat salad on an empty stomach or real fatty meals.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    beachmom01 wrote: »
    I have seen numerous doctors over the years and no real answers except eat low fat and small meals.

This is my experience as well. Bile dumping is horrible. If I have pizza from Pizza Hut, even though I soak up any grease I can with napkins, I will be curled up in the car crying in pain before we get home. It feels like you're dying! So I just don't eat that kind of stuff.

Good news for me is that it helps me to eat well. I avoid grease and cooked tomatoes like the plague. It is so much better now than it was 5 years ago so maybe time will help.

I hope that you feel better soon!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider taking a enzyme to aid in digestion and a ox bile supplement. This would be for life since there is no more gallbladder. I wish I knew all the digestive issues and restroom issues id have before . Its been 12 years since mine. I have chronic constipation with ibs c. I still occasionally have horrible stomach spasms triggered by what I don't know. I feel I have some kind of gluten intolerance and other intolerance related to the removal of my gallbladder. But I never knew the reason I had these issues until recently was bc of my absent gall bladder. It was recommended I think ake these supplements to aid in that department.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 3-4 years ago and do not have any lingering issues. I tend not to eat much/enough fat...perhaps that helps.
  • Crystalnp1981
    Crystalnp1981 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider taking a enzyme to aid in digestion and a ox bile supplement.

I started taking a probiotic after having my gallbladder removed and it really helped me with digestive issues!
  • jodiealgar
    Options
    I'm gonna have to bring this up with my doctor. Kinda shocking I haven't been given any medication to control this?!
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out last year. I've had diarrhea since. Heck, I had it before too. BUT, surprisingly I figured out that gluten was a big trigger for me. I'm not gluten free by any means, but since I cut bread and pasta out of my diet, I feel sooooo much better. I always thought it was the fat that was causing me problems. Well, I'm eating MORE fat now since I'm doing low carb/high protien and high fat. I'm having less episodes of diarrhea.