light headed

Options
I've cut back my calories for the past 3 days from over 2000 daily to around 1300 and I'm feeling light headed. Is that normal?:ohwell:

Replies

• kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Normal and good are two different things here. Please add some of those calories back in. Work your way down slowly.
  • Nomoregut
    Nomoregut Posts: 39
    Options
    I agree with kmtetour you need to start slow to get down to that number of calories.
  • amyelizbradley
    amyelizbradley Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    If you are light headed, your body is telling you that you need something; that being said, if you cut out sugar or caffeine cold turkey that could be part of what you are experiencing. I used to get light headed when I wasn't eating frequently enough or when I wouldn't eat post workout recovery.

Listen to your body; take care to eat enough of what it needs best (and you can still eat within your calories).
    Hope that answers your question. All the best to you!
  • pougy
    pougy Posts: 9
    Options
    I swiched to 1300 cals b/c that is what this program told me to do. I am diabetic and trying to loose 10 lbs to get my sugars down - Dr. recommened. Maybe my sugars have dropped considerably and that is why I'm feeling light headed. I just don't want my kids to find me passed out on the floor.
  • FinMcK
    FinMcK Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I've been reading more and more about how many people make the mistake of cutting calories too severely,
    thereby actually going into starvation mode. This is not healthy and can eventually have a boomerang effect. I would make sure
    I was getting a balanced diet made up mostly of nutrient-dense foods. Try to cut out processed foods as much as possible and
    consume caffeine in moderation. Are you experiencing hunger along with your lightheadedness? I would almost bet that you need
    more calories than you think. Find out your BMR (can find a calculator online) and make sure you never go below the calories needed for that. One of the things that has helped me is the addition of monounsaturated fats, especially nuts. A serving of almonds, for example, is rich in nutrients, including protein. You have to get enough protein or your body will be forced to break
    down and burn its muscle stores for fuel. Not a good situation. If you can, it's never a bad idea to consult a nutritionist for a person-
    alized plan. My daughter became a diabetic a few years ago and was misdiagnosed as Type II (and treated incorrectly.) Her current doctor caught the problem and set her up with a good dietician. Knowing how and what to eat for her condition has made
    all the difference in the world. One last thought about the lightheadedness...unless in the last 3 days you have quit caffeine or sugar cold turkey, I would bet the lightheadness is a sign you need more nutrition, not less. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • FinMcK
    FinMcK Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I posted my comments, I didn't see that you had said you are diabetic. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consult a dietician before you make any big changes to your diet. One of the things my daughter's dietician told her was to increase her fiber intake to help her feel full. As a diabetic, you cannot afford to solely rely on MFP or any one-size-fits-all program. Talk to a professional--you deserve to be healthy and your kids need a healthy mom! Blessings to you, sweetheart. You are in my prayers tonight.:flowerforyou:
  • pougy
    pougy Posts: 9
    Options
    Everything I've eaten today has been packed with nutrition. I'm not sure what is going on. It could have something to do with caffein as I have my fair share. :) Thanks for the advice.
  • amyelizbradley
    amyelizbradley Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you've done this yet, but look for/ post a topic regarding diabetics and friend diabetics on MFP; I have a friends who is diabetic & she says that it helps to connect with others who get what she is going through (and that she gets good tips too). Hope you are doing well!