Is it possible to shrink your stomach or reduce your hunger?

Options
1235»

Replies

• eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I used to be hungry all the time - I would continually graze throughout the day and night and eat large portions of meals. Since I have stopped eating pasta and breads with my meals, I have noticed that hunger diminish greatly. I only eat a snack of almonds mid-morning usually and regular sized meal portions. But still, if I eat a meal of pasta or a sandwich, I am famished all day again and continually graze. Maybe it is just me, but refined carbs seem to only fill me up temporarily and then leave me starved the rest of the day.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »

i did have a turkey with boiled egg slices on a sandwich before and it was delicious :) similar to your idea ha ha would that be alright?

It's alright if it fills you up! I know it works for me because of all my MPF tracking. I notice when I eat more protein I'm less hungry- just like if I eat quinoa and brown rice instead of bread or potatoes then I am less hungry. It doesn't necessarily work for everyone, but it works for me!
  • joesimtre
    joesimtre Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd say that you probably aren't as hungry as you think you are. You may just need more than 2 liters of water. Especially if you are exercising as well. I'd say take it up to 3. Most of the time we aren't hungry, the body just needs water.
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Can you really not shrink your stomach? I feel literally sick if I try to eat a "normal" amount of food now. And I get full much faster. Is it more of a mental thing?

Yeah... I think we can all start getting used to eating less. I'm not sure if it's just a mental thing or if it's physical too... But, I think we can just as easily get used to eating the way we were before though. Eating more. Which, I suppose is why so many weight losses result in gaining it all back and/or yo yo dieting :worried:

Actually, the stomach might not "shrink" physically, but if you chronically undereat, your body can become ridiculously unaccustomed to processing food. This is why, for example, people with anorexia reach a point where they legitimately, medically can't just start eating normally again, but have to be given nutrients intravenously and/or have their portion sizes very very slowly increased. Or, for example, why a person who goes onto a hunger strike cannot all of a sudden be made to eat as before.

I sort of experienced this after a few very heavy health problems, when I could not eat properly for a long time due to taking insane cocktails of antibiotics and thus having a completely nuked intestinal system and stomach. It was extremely challenging to start eating normally again, after 3-4 months of nigh fasting.

This is evidently something you should not WANT to happen to you, though.
  • SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Can you really not shrink your stomach? I feel literally sick if I try to eat a "normal" amount of food now. And I get full much faster. Is it more of a mental thing?

Yeah... I think we can all start getting used to eating less. I'm not sure if it's just a mental thing or if it's physical too... But, I think we can just as easily get used to eating the way we were before though. Eating more. Which, I suppose is why so many weight losses result in gaining it all back and/or yo yo dieting :worried:

Actually, the stomach might not "shrink" physically, but if you chronically undereat, your body can become ridiculously unaccustomed to processing food. This is why, for example, people with anorexia reach a point where they legitimately, medically can't just start eating normally again, but have to be given nutrients intravenously and/or have their portion sizes very very slowly increased. Or, for example, why a person who goes onto a hunger strike cannot all of a sudden be made to eat as before.

I sort of experienced this after a few very heavy health problems, when I could not eat properly for a long time due to taking insane cocktails of antibiotics and thus having a completely nuked intestinal system and stomach. It was extremely challenging to start eating normally again, after 3-4 months of nigh fasting.

This is evidently something you should not WANT to happen to you, though.

Of course it's something you wouldn't want, I certainly agree.

I don't think I'd ever have to worry about this, though. I was "blessed :unamused: " with a preeeetty healthy appetite. The only thing that stops me from eating is my laziness, haha.

I'm glad you got better :smile: