Is it possible to shrink your stomach or reduce your hunger?

Options

Replies

• jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said protein. I would add fat to that. Fat definitely helps with my hunger. So, butter, bacon, olive oil, avocado may be something to try.

I do eat bananas and boiled eggs for protein and fiber. The turkey sandwich also have protein. :) I'm not sure if eggs have good fat in them. I tend to stay away from fatty things like nuts, avocado, butter, olive oil, ect since they have so many calories and don't satisfy me. I always dress my salads in olive oil with a bit of vinegar and use butter or olive oil in cooking though. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    So how much protein do you get/how much do you weigh?
  • jenniator
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    jenniator wrote: »
    Your stomach can stretch, but it doesn't shrink. You become accustomed to eating smaller amounts and feeling full. Make sure you're not over restricting and getting lots of fats and protein (keeps you sated longer).

I think that might be my issue. Since I've always been heavy and have always eaten a lot, I think I stretched my stomach too much. :( I wish there was a way to reverse it. I've been eating smaller amounts for over a year, but I haven't got accustomed to it. I definitely am not over restrictive. :) I do make sure to eat healthy proteins and fat. It's strange because a turkey sandwich will keep me more satisfied than 2-3 boiled eggs though, but not very long still.
    Although it doesn't shrink, it returns to its normal size :wink:

Really!? That is wonderful news :D I guess my normal size is still a big stomach ha ha!
  • jenniator
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

When I calculated before, I got around 50 grams of protein. I haven't calculated in a while though, but I think I get more than enough protein. :) Every day I eat oatmeal which has protein, turkey sandwich which have protein, and our dinners always include some kind of meat for protein as well. Sometimes I eat boiled eggs as well which give me more protein. At the moment I'm about 196.6 lbs and my height is 5'6, but I will have to check on Tuesday on my pounds since I've been eating a bit more with Easter. :blush: Believe it or not, the Netherlands has 2 days of Easter also ha ha :)
  • melbmeg
    melbmeg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Definitely play around with your macros. It's worth a try.

I don't think it's well accepted on MFP that for some people eating at a deficit will result in uncomfortable hunger no matter how much protein/fat/vegetables they eat. Some people are just naturally hungrier than others and, in any case, it makes sense that the body would be telling you it's hungry if you're eating at a deficit.

There is research indicating that people who've lost weight will be hungrier at a particular weight than people who have always been that weight. This article refers to some of the relevant studies:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2134162/Research-shows-trying-lose-weight-alters-brain-hormones-youre-doomed-pile-again.html

I mention this because I think it can be helpful to accept that losing weight - and maintaining a lower body weight - may involve levels of hunger that are unpleasant for some people. Whether or not you can get used to the hunger and accept it as the price of being at a lower weight is up to you. Personally, I know that I can't lose weight or maintain a healthy body weight without being hungry for an hour or so between meals and going to bed hungry a lot of the time. I can handle it most of the time - I have learned to accept that hunger is a normal part of life - but there are times when I can't bear it and go over my calorie allowance. I think that's fine too: I'm in this for life and more interested in the overall trend than daily perfection. And, frankly, I went for years without experiencing hunger at all, so I figure I'm paying the price for that now!

• arditarose
    edited April 2015
    Options

When I calculated before, I got around 50 grams of protein. I haven't calculated in a while though, but I think I get more than enough protein. :) Every day I eat oatmeal which has protein, turkey sandwich which have protein, and our dinners always include some kind of meat for protein as well. Sometimes I eat boiled eggs as well which give me more protein. At the moment I'm about 196.6 lbs and my height is 5'6, but I will have to check on Tuesday on my pounds since I've been eating a bit more with Easter. :blush: Believe it or not, the Netherlands has 2 days of Easter also ha ha :)

Yeah that is not a lot of protein. I weigh 133 and my minimum is 112 grams, many days I eat up to 140. I do weight train, but still-eating at least .5 grams per pound of body weight definitely helps with hunger.
  • jenniator
    Options

Yeah that is not a lot of protein. I weigh 133 and my minimum is 112 grams, many days I eat up to 140. I do weight train, but still-eating at least .5 grams per pound of body weight definitely helps with hunger.

Really? I heard women should not eat more than 46 grams of protein! I'm sure lately I've been eating a lot more though with the boiled eggs. :) I do go on the elliptical 4 times a week for a hour and strength train 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes. I get super hungry when I work out, but it gives me more of a deficiency to eat more. A problem I have is on my days off, I'm starving all day, but I can't eat as much since I don't have the extra calories!
  • arditarose
    Options

Really? I heard women should not eat more than 46 grams of protein! I'm sure lately I've been eating a lot more though with the boiled eggs. :) I do go on the elliptical 4 times a week for a hour and strength train 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes. I get super hungry when I work out, but it gives me more of a deficiency to eat more. A problem I have is on my days off, I'm starving all day, but I can't eat as much since I don't have the extra calories!

No, that is not true. And there are only like 6 grams of protein in an egg.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    WHU???? snort, NO
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    melbmeg wrote: »
    Definitely play around with your macros. It's worth a try.

I don't think it's well accepted on MFP that for some people eating at a deficit will result in uncomfortable hunger no matter how much protein/fat/vegetables they eat. Some people are just naturally hungrier than others and, in any case, it makes sense that the body would be telling you it's hungry if you're eating at a deficit.

There is research indicating that people who've lost weight will be hungrier at a particular weight than people who have always been that weight. This article refers to some of the relevant studies:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2134162/Research-shows-trying-lose-weight-alters-brain-hormones-youre-doomed-pile-again.html

I mention this because I think it can be helpful to accept that losing weight - and maintaining a lower body weight - may involve levels of hunger that are unpleasant for some people. Whether or not you can get used to the hunger and accept it as the price of being at a lower weight is up to you. Personally, I know that I can't lose weight or maintain a healthy body weight without being hungry for an hour or so between meals and going to bed hungry a lot of the time. I can handle it most of the time - I have learned to accept that hunger is a normal part of life - but there are times when I can't bear it and go over my calorie allowance. I think that's fine too: I'm in this for life and more interested in the overall trend than daily perfection. And, frankly, I went for years without experiencing hunger at all, so I figure I'm paying the price for that now!

I do believe some people are naturally hungrier than others. But it's strange to me because I am eating plenty of protein, fats, fibers, and veggies. So I feel like I shouldn't be starving or hungry. :( I hear stories of other people eating less calories than me, but they are full and satisfied. So it really is strange to me. It does make since you would be hungry at a deficiency, but not everyone is. On the weekends I normally maintain my weight which does help quiet a bit and keep me motivated to do better in the week. :) But yeah it real;y does suck being hungry often and having it be normal. That's why I'm trying to get advice on what I can do to fill fuller.

• Liftng4Lis
    Options
    WHU???? snort, NO

It's 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day
  • jenniator
    Options

No, that is not true. And there are only like 6 grams of protein in an egg.

I always thought a egg had 12-13 grams of protein in it ha ha! I'm glad to learn the truth though. :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    WHU???? snort, NO

Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was .5 or .8 or what.
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    WHU???? snort, NO

That's about 71.28 gram of protein for me then :D A lot more than I thought.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    WHU???? snort, NO

That's about 71.28 gram of protein for me then :D
    I lift, so try to get 35% of my macros in protein a day.
  • jenniator
    Options
    It's strange because when I have a snack, I can eat 2-3 boiled eggs or a lot of veggies, and I'm not satisfied. Do I need to eat like 10 boiled eggs or something at one time?! Lol
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    as a volume eater myself, I recommend soups, salads, big smoothies, etc.
  • jenniator
    Options
    WHU???? snort, NO

That's about 71.28 gram of protein for me then :D
    I lift, so try to get 35% of my macros in protein a day.

I've been lifting recently too :) Right now I'm only lifting 20 lbs, but it's really heavy to me ha ha. I strength train 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes. Even though I won't gain muscle since I'm in a deficiency, I do want to keep the muscles I have. :D
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    It's strange because when I have a snack, I can eat 2-3 boiled eggs or a lot of veggies, and I'm not satisfied. Do I need to eat like 10 boiled eggs or something at one time?! Lol

MEAT, greek yogurt, cheese, milk, meat, nuts, did I say meat?
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    as a volume eater myself, I recommend soups, salads, big smoothies, etc.

I definitely am a volume eater! I don't really like eating salads since I dress salads with olive oil and vinagear which really brings up the calories. :( I've tried looking for low calorie dressings here, but I can't find any in the Netherlands. I love eating soups though! But I always am hungry a hour or two later no matter how much I eat ha ha. Also everyone in the house always steals my soup when I make it!