Is it possible to shrink your stomach or reduce your hunger?

Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Really? I heard women should not eat more than 46 grams of protein! I'm sure lately I've been eating a lot more though with the boiled eggs. :) I do go on the elliptical 4 times a week for a hour and strength train 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes. I get super hungry when I work out, but it gives me more of a deficiency to eat more. A problem I have is on my days off, I'm starving all day, but I can't eat as much since I don't have the extra calories!
    WHU???? snort, NO

It's 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day

That's about 71.28 gram of protein for me then :D
    I lift, so try to get 35% of my macros in protein a day.

I've been lifting recently too :) Right now I'm only lifting 20 lbs, but it's really heavy to me ha ha. I strength train 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes. Even though I won't gain muscle since I'm in a deficiency, I do want to keep the muscles I have. :D

If you're new to lifting, you have the window of newbie gains, GRAB THEM!
  • jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It's strange because when I have a snack, I can eat 2-3 boiled eggs or a lot of veggies, and I'm not satisfied. Do I need to eat like 10 boiled eggs or something at one time?! Lol

MEAT, greek yogurt, cheese, milk, meat, nuts, did I say meat?

I use to add milk in my oatmeal, but I cut it out since it added a lot of calories. I don't like greek yogurt unfortunately and I stay away from cheese/nuts since they have a lot of calories. I do eat a lot of meat at night though! I'm sure that's where most of my daily protein intake come from lol!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    It's strange because when I have a snack, I can eat 2-3 boiled eggs or a lot of veggies, and I'm not satisfied. Do I need to eat like 10 boiled eggs or something at one time?! Lol

I use to add milk in my oatmeal, but I cut it out since it added a lot of calories. I don't like greek yogurt unfortunately and I stay away from cheese/nuts since they have a lot of calories. I do eat a lot of meat at night though! I'm sure that's where most of my daily protein intake come from lol!

So why don't you cut the oatmeal, and have something with a decent amount of protein instead? (Although I am anti-oatmeal, I swear I'm not trying to push this on you. But oatmeal leaves me hungry).

Anyway, don't know what else to tell you. Even with my high protein, I like to eat every 3-4 hours. There's nothing wrong with it. As long as you're losing and staying in your deficit.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Really? I heard women should not eat more than 46 grams of protein! I'm sure lately I've been eating a lot more though with the boiled eggs. :) I do go on the elliptical 4 times a week for a hour and strength train 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes. I get super hungry when I work out, but it gives me more of a deficiency to eat more. A problem I have is on my days off, I'm starving all day, but I can't eat as much since I don't have the extra calories!
    WHU???? snort, NO

That's about 71.28 gram of protein for me then :D
    I lift, so try to get 35% of my macros in protein a day.

I've been lifting recently too :) Right now I'm only lifting 20 lbs, but it's really heavy to me ha ha. I strength train 2-3 times a week for 30 minutes. Even though I won't gain muscle since I'm in a deficiency, I do want to keep the muscles I have. :D

If you're new to lifting, you have the window of newbie gains, GRAB THEM!

What is the window of newbie gains? :open_mouth: Is it about gaining muscle? I heard it's not possible to gain muscle while eating at a deficiency :(. It's really strange though because ever since I've started lifting, I feel like I have a harder time losing weight. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or what it could be.
  • jenniator
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

So why don't you cut the oatmeal, and have something with a decent amount of protein instead? (Although I am anti-oatmeal, I swear I'm not trying to push this on you. But oatmeal leaves me hungry).

Anyway, don't know what else to tell you. Even with my high protein, I like to eat every 3-4 hours. There's nothing wrong with it. As long as you're losing and staying in your deficit.

I mean I don't mind putting water in my oatmeal. I always try to cut calories any way possible. If I don't add milk in my oatmeal, I'm able to eat more oatmeal since I only use water which has 0 calories. I also only drink water/tea since there are 0 calories in it. I rather eat my calories than drink them. :) I don't always have oatmeal for breakfast, sometimes I have scrambled egg whites with veggies. But it doesn't fill me up more than the oatmeal. Even 1 turkey sandwich still leaves me hungry. :(
  • arditarose
    Options
    Okay. So you're a hungry girl! Nothing wrong with that.
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options

Aww thank you. :) It makes me feel better to hear that. I always feel like I'm being judged since I'm obese and eating more. :( But the problem is I'm trying to eat at a 1600 calorie range so I will be in deficiency and lose weight. But that's difficult to do when your constantly hungry and thinking about food. :( Right now I'm great, but that's because I ate a bit above my maintenance level today urg. Makes me wonder if I need appetite suppressing pills. But that's not something I want to do since it's not natural and doesn't teach you to eat proper. It really sucks to always be hungry.
  • arditarose
    Options

Aww thank you. :) It makes me feel better to hear that. I always feel like I'm being judged since I'm obese and eating more. :( But the problem is I'm trying to eat at a 1600 calorie range so I will be in deficiency and lose weight. But that's difficult to do when your constantly hungry and thinking about food. :( Right now I'm great, but that's because I ate a bit above my maintenance level today urg. Makes me wonder if I need appetite suppressing pills. But that's not something I want to do since it's not natural and doesn't teach you to eat proper. It really sucks to always be hungry.

I think you should start logging in this app again. Even just for clarity, and support.
  • jenniator
    Options

I think you should start logging in this app again. Even just for clarity, and support.

I really should. I do good with tracking calories, but it sucks figuring out the macros lol! Also I'm not sure how to log the dinner since every night, someone new in our house makes dinner. I'm not sure all the ingredients they used, so I can't estimate the macros. I do save plenty of calories for dinner though and am not bad at estimating the calories. I mean I'm losing weight, so I know my calorie count is good and around 1,600. :)
  • arditarose
    Options

I really should. I do good with tracking calories, but it sucks figuring out the macros lol! Also I'm not sure how to log the dinner since every night, someone new in our house makes dinner. I'm not sure all the ingredients they used, so I can't estimate the macros. I do save plenty of calories for dinner though and am not bad at estimating the calories. I mean I'm losing weight, so I know my calorie count is good and around 1,600. :)

Well if you're saving a good 800-900 calories for dinner, it is not surprising that you are hungry throughout the day. Congrats on the loss! You'll figure it the hunger situation out.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fat and oils? You really need to log three or four days so you can get a better picture of your fat and protein. Here is the amount of fat recommended:
    http://www.pennmedicine.org/health_info/nutrition/how_much.html
  • silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hunger is difficult to cope with, I continually have to deal with hunger. Drinking water does nothing to stave off hunger for me, nor does consuming protein food items. What does work for me is to avoid hunger before it starts by grazing all day.

Every morning I prepare a veggie/fruit graze box, each item is carefully measured and weighed to keep consistent calories. It's heavy on the veggies which I eat in unlimited amounts with a few exclusions like potatoes and corn etc..starchy veggies.

I find if I graze off and on in between means I feel less hunger and it only takes a few peas or a stalk of celery every hour or so to keep hunger a low levels. By keeping hunger at a distance I am able to resist temptation to over eat or consume inappropriate foods.

All in all I probably eat 5 to 6 times a day or more if I feel the need but in small consistent amounts. It works for me.
  • jenniator
    Options

Well if you're saving a good 800-900 calories for dinner, it is not surprising that you are hungry throughout the day. Congrats on the loss! You'll figure it the hunger situation out.

I actually do save 800-900 calories for dinner ha ha. But that's because I know even if I eat a lot through out the day, I will still be starving at dinner and eat a lot of food. I do eat quiet a bit though out the day and burn about 500 calories on the elliptical, so it allows me to eat a lot more! I eat 5 times a day.
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hunger is difficult to cope with, I continually have to deal with hunger. Drinking water does nothing to stave off hunger for me, nor does consuming protein food items. What does work for me is to avoid hunger before it starts by grazing all day.

Every morning I prepare a veggie/fruit graze box, each item is carefully measured and weighed to keep consistent calories. It's heavy on the veggies which I eat in unlimited amounts with a few exclusions like potatoes and corn etc..starchy veggies.

I find if I graze off and on in between means I feel less hunger and it only takes a few peas or a stalk of celery every hour or so to keep hunger a low levels. By keeping hunger at a distance I am able to resist temptation to over eat or consume inappropriate foods.

All in all I probably eat 5 to 6 times a day or more if I feel the need but in small consistent amounts. It works for me.

Hunger really is difficult to cope with. Especially when I'm obese and use to eating a lot of food. Drinking water and consuming protein hasn't made me less hungry either unfortunately.

I have been a grazer and graze on small meals through out the day with a huge dinner. But I still find myself always hungry and wanting to eat. I'm love huge portions, so it's difficult to eat smaller meals and I find they don't fill me up. But eating 3 big meals doesn't keep me satisfied all day either. I've been eating a lot more veggies lately, but they haven't really helped me much with the hunger. :( I've been snacking on apples, cucumbers, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Though I do admit, the sweetness from the apple does satisfy my sweet cravings. I eat 5 times a day and sometimes 6. But it really is a constant struggle for me to get through the day which sucks. :( I look forward to going to sleep so I can wake up the next day to eat again. It really sucks.
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ok, this is just my personal experience, so I have no idea whether it would work for you or for anyone else, but, have you tried intermittent fasting?

I went through a period of regular 5:2 dieting (i.e. eating 500 calories two days a week and eating without a deficit the other five) and I also did a period of 16:8 (eating all calories in an eight hour block, like between noon and eight pm). Currently I am just maintaining a normal deficit without either of these, but I will probably go back to one or the other at some point just to switch it up. Personally, both of these plans helped me control my hunger: although of course I was hungry during the fasting periods, my body got used to it quickly and after the first week or two, it actually didn't bother me much... and during the non-fasting times I felt less hungry and also more full with less food.

Like I said, I can't promise this will work for you, but I feel like when you are in it for the long haul, there is no harm in experimenting with different ways of distributing your calories throughout the week, different proportions of macros, or any other kind of thing that doesn't effect CICO but that you might find makes the journey a little easier for you.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    It's probably already been mentioned but I would increase protein intake a fair amount. I checked your food diary and I don't show that you're logging food (at least not in MFP), so I'm not sure if those diary settings are accurate for you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    What is the window of newbie gains? :open_mouth: Is it about gaining muscle? I heard it's not possible to gain muscle while eating at a deficiency :(. It's really strange though because ever since I've started lifting, I feel like I have a harder time losing weight. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or what it could be.
    Everyone is different, so I'm not sure there is an answer for this. I've heard up to 10 months.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options

No, you need to be patient. Move more and earn more calories if you need to through exercise. Bag the 20 pounders and try to lift heavy if you can.
    Pre-logging your days helps tremendously!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    WHU???? snort, NO

Liz, I think it's probably a typo but if you're doing the .8 it's .8g per lb of bodyweight not kg. If you're going kg It's more around 1.4-2g per kg of bodyweight.

Unless for some reason she's referring to the RDA which I believe is .8g/kg (too low for anyone with working kidneys IMO)